Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tudors from Dixon and Redoubt  (Read 1790 times)

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
Tudors from Dixon and Redoubt
« on: September 04, 2018, 07:56:29 PM »
I am thinking of building the English army for Flodden and was looking at these 2 lines.  Can anyone tell me if they will mix together or not?  I am guessing that the Dixon are smaller, but not sure.

Thanks

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tudors from Dixon and Redoubt
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
Redoubt are bigger but the main concern is that both these ranges are a bit dated, especially Redoubt. You can do much better with Perry, TAG and others. Some discussion here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xEv8VQbXyGA/Ui4c0UODF4I/AAAAAAAACRg/Hlt2XX1LXuo/s1600/flodden+painting.jpg
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:10:10 PM by traveller »

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »
Thanks, I'll look at Perry

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 04:33:31 AM »
I am working on the same project my self and I am going with TAG figures have fun and keep us posted just wish there was a range of Scots out there to face them beat theml think that has something to do with how l play on the day lol

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
I hate to be absolute about anything, but I really can’t see those two ranges mixing - totally different sizes and styles.  As others have said, TAG are a much better option.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
I agree that there don't seem to be many options out there for Scots.  The old Vendel line now being marketed by Northumbrian Painting Service has a few.  As for the English, I wanted them to look a little more like a Tudor force of the early 16th century instead of just a WOTR army.  I might look at mixing in some TAG figures.  Does anyone have an opinion on how large the TAG figures are?

Thanks

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
They are the same size as the Perry twins figures and you can get dollies from steel fist to make your own just see what Stuart has done with them on this blog

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
I am thinking of building the English army for Flodden and was looking at these 2 lines.  Can anyone tell me if they will mix together or not?  I am guessing that the Dixon are smaller, but not sure.

I haven't tried Dixon. Redoubt is hit or miss depending on what's important to you: the casts are extremely clean—maybe the cleanest I've seen!—so you'll save on prep time. But the sculpts are a little more cartoonish/heroic than realistic.

Consider mixing units of Perry, TAG, and Stuart Mulligan's dollies, which are now sold by Steel Fist. The dollies work with Perry plastic and require some sculpting, which I found tremendously fun.

https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/wfd-10.-tudor-dollies/
https://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.com/2018/02/archers-of-dorset-retinue-and-brief.html

Hope this helps.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:56 AM »
The early Henrician army was quite distinctive, and I think you may have a problem in store as a result of choosing "the 1513 look".  Whilst the limited Dixon range is Flodden period, both the TAG range, and that of Redoubt (whatever you may think of the latter) are for 1540s Tudors, not the early 1500s types you are looking for.  The news gets worse - I had a long discussion with the owner of TAG at Bovington in July, and he was adamant that he won't be doing "early Henrician" (despite it being a much better army, both in look and quality).  As someone else suggested, what you need is a mix of Perry WotR and Stuart Mulligan's polearm "dollies" (I think he is going to add more, suitable for archers) which were largely converted from other Perry ranges - a lot of them having started life as Ansars and Mahdists!!  Good luck.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.