Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:42:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good books on the WotR  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Salibaba

• Assistant
    • Painting the Lead Pile
Re: Good books on the WotR
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »
I think my favorite overall, from a wargamer's perspective, is "The Military Campaigns of the Wars of the Roses," by Philip A. Haigh
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:02:30 AM by Salibaba »

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 11:07:10 AM »
Must confess, I didn’t much enjoy the Conn Iggulden series. Quite of lot of things wrong in both the history and the period detail. And all a bit formulaic.
I enjoyed the books, but you are right with the problem of being historical. I think Conn Iggulden tried to write a book for Hollywood and that goal is reached. I think it is a good starter, but than you need to look for more historical sources.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
I enjoyed the books, but you are right with the problem of being historical. I think Conn Iggulden tried to write a book for Hollywood and that goal is reached. I think it is a good starter, but than you need to look for more historical sources.

My thoughts exactly, Dirk. He lost me quite early on when he persistently referred to the predominant type of soldiery in his various Wars of The Roses battles as ‘pikemen’. Plainly he doesn’t know his onions. A good storyteller for sure, but pretty cavalier with even the basic historical detail. Also, I found his characters to have sensibilities a bit too much like modern people... So I enjoyed the books on one level, and was irritated by them on another. But I still read all four, so I guess I can’t complain!  ;)