Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Opinions please - Marketing figures named after historic famous/infamous people  (Read 1001 times)

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Can a person market pulp/fantasy/wargames  figures using names of real people if people are infamous/famous and dead for many years, and mentioned ad infinite in books and film?

For example I would imagine no one would have a problem if I had a figures I was marketing of Ghengis Khan, but would the same be true of Winston Churchill or Harry Trumman or Al Capone?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - especially if it is the real legal take on it and not just an general opinion.

Thanks,

Frank

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Many companies already do - so you’re good to go.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Historical figures are fair game, you're good to go. Unless someone has copyrighted their name, like a few pop stars do.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Check with a lawyer firm in your country. Each country has its own laws, so what is legal in one place it is not in other.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Historical figures are fair game, you're good to go. Unless someone has copyrighted their name, like a few pop stars do.
Antonio is correct to suggest you should check just to be sure, but generally speaking Cubs is right. Public figures are almost by definition in the public domain.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Thanks for the replies gents.