Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report - Zborov 1917  (Read 2569 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Battle Report - Zborov 1917
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:21:05 PM »
We had another Bolt Action WW1 Eastern Front game last weekend. It was a fictional scenario very loosely based on events around the battle of Zborov 1917. My Russians took the place of the Czech troops and my friend Carls Germans stood in for the Austro-Hungarians.

The scenario prepared and written by Carl was as follows.

I allocated my 48 point preparatory bombardment as follows:-

Table 1
Zone F2, F3, E3 & Zone B2, B3, C3 & Zone – 6 points – Move 1
Zone F2, F3, E3 & Zone B2, B3, C3 & Zone – 6 points – Move 2
Zone F2, F3, E3 & Zone B2, B3, C3 & Zone – 6 points – Move 3

Table 2
Zone B6 - 7 to E6 - 7 – 8 points – Move 8
Zone B6 - 7 to E6 - 7 – 8 points – Move 9
Zone B6 - 7 to E6 - 7 – 8 points – Move 10
Zone B6 - 7 to E6 – 7 (omitting C6 & D6) – 6 points – Move 11

The explosion markers that can be seen on the table marked out the bombardment zone perimeter.

On table 1, my plan was to screen off the left strongpoint position and concentrate against the right.   

I was fortunate with my preparatory bombardment as the single unit occupying the strongpoint on the right as completely destroyed after 3 moves. The other units were also destroyed by a combination of the bombardment and accurate Russian rifle and HMG fire. This enabled me to move unimpeded on to the next table advancing on in move 9. I opted to leave my field guns behind as they would have taken too long to come up and the delay may well have allowed the AH more reinforcements.

Once in position on table 2, I awaited my bombardment to run its course. Due to some staff officer bungling, I managed to get my own brave fellows too near the bombardment perimeter and they were pinned briefly before recovering with thankfully no casualties.

My bombardment didn’t cause too many casualties amongst the Austro-Hungarians due to them being in trenches however it did pin them down. Indeed in trying to rally them my opponent was unlucky in rolling a number of FUBARs which caused his units to either fall back temporarily or on one occasion actually fire on his own men! So the single section on the right remained unsupported and after being whittled down by further rifle fire and my sniper babes, the time was deemed right for a close assault which was carried off successfully and my brave fellows entered the enemy trenches.

The only slight reversal was one of my sections was caught in the flank by HMG fire causing a number of casualties.

Our Bolt Action house rules make HMGs much more powerful giving them 12 dice.

At this point my opponent called it a day, withdrawing what units he could, leaving the position to the victorious Czechs/Russians.

Another house rule we tried, inspired by a favourite set of rules of ours, Johnny Reb 2nd Edition, was to not use the order die. Instead we had the orders on counters and placed them face down for all the units at the start of each move. Orders were then revealed rolling for any pins etc. as per the rules. Fire orders were then worked out first with the rest of the orders being carried our simultaneously. This seemed to speed the game up considerably.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:21:10 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: Battle Report - Zborov 1917 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:19:01 AM »
Great game! Great figures and terrain!

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
Re: Battle Report - Zborov 1917
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »
One hell of a lot of prep in that briefing for a bolt action game!
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Thanks for the comments chaps.

I take it in turns with my friend Carl to do the scenario. He puts me to shame with the amount of effort he puts in to the preparation.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
Very interesting game, both in scenario and figures.  Nice to see a change of pace from the usual Western Front.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
Are you using a custome supplement for Bolt Action or just the standard rules? I use a homemade supplement for modern games and have been looking for some good rules for WW1 and like bolt action.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
One question:  If this is the initial combat of the Czech Legion, how are there so many Veteran and Experienced troops ?

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
Czechoslovakians fought on the Russian front since 1914 and for the most part they were defectors of the Austro-Hungarian army — so they had good combat experience and training.