Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Muskets and Mohawks: The Relief Force  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
Muskets and Mohawks: The Relief Force
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
More eye candy here and an after action report:

https://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-relief-force.html

The scenario was based on an actual French and Indian War battle. Did you recognize it?

Bests,
Chris

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Muskets and Mohawks: The Relief Force
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Yes, quite easily recognized by me - but I've followed the period for decades.  The darker photos don't work so well, though, hard to see - though I appreciate your goal. 

And if the French won so easily then there is a flaw in the scenario design.  I think it can be remedied by a break point for the French coming sooner and also having to check for morale once they realize their friendly Indians are sitting things out.  They would know something sinister was up once realizing that. 

Also, need to up the British force, the odds overall were closer to 4:3 than 2:1 and without their Indians it was closer to 1:1 plus the British advantage of surprise and cover.  Of course, if you only count the European descent forces, then 2:1 isn't far off the mark.

Could definitely use more trees, the clearing was pretty small as I recall. 

Enjoyed it all, however.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
Really an eye candy! Extremely well painted figures and fantastic terrain, to its smallest detail! Moss on the fallen trees!  :-* Lovely! A great collection! Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
Tremendous battle report reflecting the tension happening throughout the game , I really enjoyed reading it . Your terrain and figures  are a treat for the eye , I haven’t seen anything that compares to them . The British Grenadiers , in particular, caught my eye , beautifully painted .  I thought the contrast between fighting in the woods and out in the open worked very well in the photographs, the gloomier shots in the woods were very effective. The French and Indian Wars have always interested me and I look forward to your future  reports .

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Great looking game.  I really enjoyed the photographs.

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
Hey Chris just fantastic photos.
Presumably John Jenkins figures ?
I am wondering about doing something similar with his new AWI range.
Please can you tell me what rules you use and how you set about basing the figures ?
Fantastic presentation all round !
Jon M

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:00:04 AM »
Wonderful terrain and figures.
One of the only battles I have not played for this period.
 :-* :-* :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen! Jon - yes, they are John Jenkins figures. I've played a lot of rules for this period (some of which you can read about on my blog) and I've mostly settled on Muskets and Mohawks from Two Hour Wargames, sold here: http://www.rebelminis.com/mumopdf.html The rules are complete, an easy campaign is included and scaled at small unit skirmish - or "battles" in North America. The companion rules Long Rifle are man-to-man if you want to do some raiding. These rules get overlooked a lot, but to appreciate them you need to play them the way they're written, and more than once. Because they seem "light" the subtleties are easily missed. I really like them. I glue the figures to wooden bases (with magnetic bottoms for storage in "travel" boxes) and cover with wood putty and "scenics" to hide the cast bases. I've found the figures need the bigger bases to remain upright on modeled terrain. I'm tempted by the AWI, too, but I am heavily invested in the F&IW and understand my own weakness!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
Wow! Amazing! Good lord that’s a lot of JJ figures when you consider how much they cost. They are really brilliant. You are a lucky fellow  ;)

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
Thanks so much for the guidance.
I will have to look for an equivalent set of rules for the AWI - but maybe they would do.
Also investigating Sharpe Practice as well.
Inspirational !
Jon M

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »
One last question - what is the size of the bases you use ?
Jon M

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »
Inspirational as always.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Hi Jon,

Bases are 40mm wide. Muskets and Mohawks has an AWI section, too. I've played around a little with Sharp Practice 2; hasn't made me want to switch to date.

Bests,
Chris

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Most helpful.
JM

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 04:02:27 AM »
Gorgeous battle! I think the cork board really works for the leaf carpet of the forests. Nice and different effect than a grass-colored flocked surface.

I have never really been bitten by Two Hour Wargames actual game mechanics. They do absolutely wonderful campaigns, though.

Mike Demana