Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Muskets and Mohawks: The Relief Force  (Read 2769 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Muskets and Mohawks: The Relief Force
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
Recognized La Belle Famille right off the top. The game looks excellent. I see the French did much better than in the real thing.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »
Good work, Cluck!

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 04:35:07 AM »
Thanks again, All. Hey, Baron!

Hi Mike. I think the THW mechanics are really elegant when looked at in their entirety. Muskets and Mohawks is specific to the F&IW, so there are no extra rules to worry about. The scale is large-unit skirmish, and I need rules that will accommodate a lot of units, so they can't be too complex. Literally, combining a handful of troop types, another handful of simple attributes and another handful of training/effectiveness ratings (REP) allows all the different troop types to be effectively modeled. The Reaction Tables, specific to the troop types, are easy to use and model troop behavior without having to deal with lots of individual attributes. And as you note, they are designed to support campaigning - if you checked out my blog you may have seen that I am helping to play-test a new boardgame with the hope that I will be able to use it to generate some fun, meaningful tabletop battles.

I am beginning to think about these rules the way I think about DBA. I compare all new ancients rules to DBA, and even try to talk myself into playing them instead of DBA, but I just love the simplicity of the DBA mechanics and the focus on managing results instead of processes. Currently looking at Sharp Practice 2 pretty seriously but not yet convinced I need the additional complexity.

Not trying to talk anyone into or out of anything; just explaining what works for me! I've played your rules, too ; )