Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW Kill team reviews please?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
GW Kill team reviews please?
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
Hi,

A couple of years ago I tried Deadzone and to be honest it was not for me though I did like the idea. Can I ask what is Kill Team like to play? My son is 15 and he would play this for sure if it was not too difficult.

What are your thoughts on this game if you have it please?

Thanks

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: GW Kill team reviews please?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:03 AM »
Probably the best set of rules I've seen from GW since Gorkamorka. Very little is needed to play and games are fast and fun. Some of the teams are a bit tougher than others, but I think the expansion will help address that, you just need to make sure that you have at least a couple of weapons in each force that can crack armour.

Points against it for still needing three rolls to resolve combat (hit, wound, save) when most modern games have it down to two or one. The rules are trying to be a bit of everything, which is a bit daunting to start with. Some of the factions feel a bit sparse compared to others, but I'm hoping the first expansion book fixes that (I'd really like a Cryptek or Pariah in the Necron list and Ogryn in the Guard list, for example).

I bought one of the KT boxes and I'm really impressed with the quantity and quality of components.

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:24:44 AM »
I'd second most of that.  The rules look fun, but are pretty simple.  Shame about the weird 3 die rolls too, but it's GW, so whatchagonna do? 

I really like Deadzone v2, if you haven't tried that one.  Big step up from v1 and quite different.  Slightly tighter rules than KT, with more interesting choices in terms of tactics, terrain and such (in DZ, you get height advantages, cover advantages, and cover is done differently given that it's on a grid, compared to the gridless KT).  I also like the simplicity of the 8x8 grid in DZ compared to gridless play - just easier and more appealing to me.  Because DZ uses a d8, unit stats can vary more than KT, which is stuck with a d6.  This makes units feel significantly different from each other.  Though KT looks light and fun, I don't think it'll completely replace DZv2 for me.  (though most of my DZ models are made by GW....!)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:26:33 AM by pancakeonions »

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies Guys. I will probably buy this one, I was worried that the rules would be over complicated. The starter set does look amazing, GW have really improved lately.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
Points against it for still needing three rolls to resolve combat (hit, wound, save) when most modern games have it down to two or one.

This I find to be a bit bizarre. For as long as I can remember, this has always been the way with shooting AND close combat for Games Workshop games. It's therefore unlikely to change. I find it a bit bizarre to have that as an issue, when you know that is what you are always going to get from a GW game. It's taste, nothing else.

Just like whilst I liked Gorkamorka, I feel the Lord of the Rings, Necromunda, WHQuest and Mordheim were vastly superior games. Which is backed up by the fact that clearly it didn't do as well as those commercially and hence GW have said unlike those listed, it won't be coming back.

Kill Team is a cut down version of 40k with a bit more flavour thrown in. It's designed for quicker games so you can play a couple in an evening at least. Might take you a game or two to get to grips with mechanics but GW in recent years has gone back to basics so shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

I know this can be easier said than done depending upon location in the world, but it is a new game so local gaming stores should have this around and you might find that either they, or their customers will be willing to show you the game and run you both through the basics - that is if you don't live near a GW which is somewhat of a luxury for anyone in the UK. The GW's will defo run demo games for you.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
I am glad to see it has gone back to basics.... it must be selling OK as it seems to be out of stock everywhere

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
I have played four games and I enjoy it a lot!

Pros:

-- Fast play
-- Affordable entry
-- Engaging turn sequence (mix of I go you go and alternating unit activation)
-- Every model counts and is important

Cons:

-- Rules are poorly organized (with no index)
-- Horde teams can suffer in the morale phase
-- Some lists lack a lot of choice
-- Some infantry units left out (Ex: Ogryn)

Overall, a wonderful addition to GW's offerings that will only get better as they add content.

I can easily see them adding an Inquisitor boxed set similar to the Rogue Trader one coming out next week.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I am sold on this as even I can paint enough figures for a team. Looking forward to this being back in stock.