Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads?
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:40:28 AM »
I find myself wanting to get started playing some Star Warsy skirmish while waiting for Galactic Heroes to hit the streets, and I have been looking at Four-Color Studios' selection of sci-fi games, but which one should I choose?

The descriptions are pretty similar, so I would like a breakdown of the differences between them, please.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
If I may piggyback on this  ;): where does one get a hard copy of Void Pirates? I followed their link to Lulu but couldn't seem to find it. I'm debating which set to get myself...

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
Oooooh.  Piggy Back on this one too.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
I've played more B&B than Void Pirates by a fair margin, but my take:  both games are very similar but B&B is better for a more Star Wars styled experience, while VP feels a little less obviously Lucas-inspired and a bit more pulp space opera to me.  Mechanically VP (the newer game) plays a little smoother IMO, but it's not much of a difference.  Can't really go wrong with either in my book, but I'm pretty biased about Scott's games since I've played since first edition Supersystem way back when.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 10:46:31 PM »
I agree with Hobby Services, B&B is my Star Wars system. Void Pirates might fill in if I ever did something at a really small scale of game, like a Han Solo adventure.

Chris

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
I agree with the above. I have them both.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
Thanks, guys!

As I want to start out with very few minis (get them stuck in along the way as they get painted) I shall probably go for Void Pirates (at least for now).  :)

If we have a blast (pun intended) playing it, I may well get B&B later - the beauty of pdf-rules is that you don't have to meticulously plan your purchases to save on shipping (and customs fees)!  lol

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
FWIW, all the Goalsystem-engine games can run very light on figures (like, under half a dozen on a side) if you want, just avoid taking henchmen/mook/lackey/minion groups.  The latter are essentially a single character made up of five+ models with their "hit points" represented by single figs and their numbers and effectiveness dropping as they take damage.  Great for emulating heroic action movie stuff, but not vital to gameplay at all.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, folks!

I took the Lulu version of VP down after complaints that it was not printing correctly. I have needed to investigate and fix the issues, but Joe D. (the layout artist for the book) has been busy with real life stuff.

I may need to to find someone else to fix it.

As to the B&B / VP comparisons, VP is the faster playing game. It features quicker chargen and quicker combat.

B&B is perhaps a "deeper" game, but YMMV.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »
All of this is most interesting. Scott, if you get things sorted with VP could you pop round and let us know? Sounds like B&B might be a better fit for me anyway, but it's still nice to have options. Of course, I might just have to break down and get both of them!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
All of this is most interesting. Scott, if you get things sorted with VP could you pop round and let us know? Sounds like B&B might be a better fit for me anyway, but it's still nice to have options. Of course, I might just have to break down and get both of them!

Seconded.  Having a print copy of VP would be nice, I'm not a huge fan of pdfs no matter how economical they are.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Will do! This thread has reminded me to get on it. Thanks!

P.S. Just ordered a print copy. I am hoping to duplicate the printing error the customer complained about. My earlier proof was fine, but as a caution, I made the book private access on Lulu when this report of a bad outcome came in.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:08:44 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
FWIW, all the Goalsystem-engine games can run very light on figures (like, under half a dozen on a side) if you want, just avoid taking henchmen/mook/lackey/minion groups.  The latter are essentially a single character made up of five+ models with their "hit points" represented by single figs and their numbers and effectiveness dropping as they take damage.  Great for emulating heroic action movie stuff, but not vital to gameplay at all.

Thanks, yes, I have Chaos in Cairo, Chaos in Carpathia, and a couple of different SuperSystem editions, I just always get side-tracked and never got around to finishing warbands...  ::)