Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

What medieval period most needs 28mm Miniatures?

First Crusade/Norman Conquest
9 (9.5%)
Late 12th Century
37 (38.9%)
Mid/Late 13th C
22 (23.2%)
Crecy Period
17 (17.9%)
Mid 15th C (after Agincourt but before the WotR)
10 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: September 22, 2018, 03:45:18 AM

Author Topic: What medieval period most needs 28mm Miniatures?  (Read 15845 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: What medieval period most needs 28mm Miniatures?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »
Bretonnian,  lol
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
Timurid without a doubt.

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 03:50:02 AM »
Voting closes in just a few days!
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:49 PM »
Late 12th early 13th, and funnily enough late 13th early 14th in my opinion.

I personally would like to see early 13th for the Cathar crusades and first Barons war.

Cheers
Matt

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
Wow, late 12th looks like it's getting a lot of love. That'd be an attractive set to me. Of course, what most people think of as a 3rd crusade aesthetic is actually a mid 13th century look. So I usually have to throw away half of the minis in a given set for looking too maciejowski bible.

Offline ItalicaAcies

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
I'd suggest someone to bring XIII Spanish army on the Tabletop: useful for Aragonese-Catalan expansion: Mallorca, Albigesan Crusade, Vesper War in Sicily and Catalan Company.
Almughavar from Eureka are nice, but no proper cavalry (helmets are different) and totally no proper Jinetes (light cavalry). I have lot of images for the period (check also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mural_paintings_of_the_conquest_of_Majorca) and draws.
Alan Touller made a dedicated nice range in 15 mm, that could be another good starting point for 28mm version.

With a little effort (head swap for more modern helmets like bacinet) Jinetes can be used from 1200 to late 1400, so HYW as well. Almughavar can looks the part for Baltic regions too (pellisson jacket).

Of course dedicated Muslim armies for riconquista could also be a nice addition, up to date Hat has a range, but it's for earlier period 1000-1100 (El Cid) and totally unmixable with other manifacturers.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
My vote would have been anything from Ian Heath's WRG Armies of the Middle Ages v2, Eastern Europe or Persians/Mughuls.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 05:50:46 PM »
So late 12th century won.  Now that that's been settled, what size are historical 28mm figurines these days?  Are they 28mm to eye, or 30mm to eye?  My sculptor told me that he's been making things 30mm to eye lately.  Any thoughts?

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »
So late 12th century won.  Now that that's been settled, what size are historical 28mm figurines these days?  Are they 28mm to eye, or 30mm to eye?  My sculptor told me that he's been making things 30mm to eye lately.  Any thoughts?

I am a big fan of the Early HYW metals from Claymore Casting sculpted by Matthew Bickley, so that style / size would be perfect. The other company I really like are V&V miniatures. Fantastic miniatures but these are more 30mm.

Either size for me is good, so long as the sculpts are of that quality. For me Matthew Bickley and the sculptor from V&V miniatures are the standard other companies should try to achieve. Imo ofcourse. ;-)

Late 12th century is a great choice!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
Personally, I would like to see all minis in 1/48 scale, which is common for model airplanes and some tanks and trucks.

That's more like 30mm to the eye than 28mm.

Just my two cents.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
Found this too late to vote, but actually late 12th century would be a really good choice. Or early 13th C. But still around 1200 AD.

what size are historical 28mm figurines these days?  Are they 28mm to eye, or 30mm to eye?

28mm to the eye, or even a bit smaller. Some big companies (well, Warlord) actually do plastic ancients at 25mm or 26mm to the eye, so 28mm to the top of the skull or even top of the helmet. But I'd say 28mm to the eye is shared by most, so gives best synenergies. 30mm to the eye I find clearly too big.

Personally, I've starterd to dream about Byzantines in late 12th and early 13th century, and have found out that there's practically nothing in 28mm or even 25mm available. There's a lot until late 11th C, and of course many can be used into the 12th C, and even later for poorly equipped troops. But ca. 1150-1250 Byzantines is clearly lacking on the market. They probably wouldn't be your first choice, as western/crusading armies are more in vogue, but if you start this project in earnest, I hope at one point you could do something that could be used as Byzantines too. Khurasan 15mm are great, and I would be very keen to see you work on 28mm historicals!

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »

May we know who is the sculptor behind the range?

*fingers crossed that it is Matthew Bickley or Paul Hicks*

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
28mm to the eye ANYTING ELSE IS NOT 28MM THAT'S THE LAW.

Make them so they fit in with the Perry size figures, Perry are roughly in the middle size/heft wise with other brands.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
28mm to the eye ANYTING ELSE IS NOT 28MM THAT'S THE LAW.

Make them so they fit in with the Perry size figures, Perry are roughly in the middle size/heft wise with other brands.

Agreed M'Lud. 

Matching Perry sculpts would be good but an alternative is the (very) slightly larger Fireforge, which despite their clumsy over-sized weapons are very nice figures.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
horsies