Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s South China Sea Project (pg4 second Chinese Carrier)  (Read 12451 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 07:02:13 PM »
Don't forget the Japanese.  They have major assets, and well trained personnel.

They were going to send some of their ships through the SCS too, though I think they may have backed off actually doing that, a while back.

Plus, when they put F-35 jump jets on their helo carriers/destroyers, the Chinese will be annoyed as no longer being the only SE Asian player with aircraft carriers. 

Looks like they are actually conducting exercises with the US Navy now, in the region - hadn't seen that in the news, which is a bit surprising:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/09/02/japanese-warship-trains-us-aircraft-carrier-disputed-south-china-sea.html

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
Don't forget the Japanese.

Hmmm.. I did forget to mention them, but they are on the definite list, rather than the possibles.

F-toys did a nice little range of plastic 1/1250 ships including DDG and some LSTs as well.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
AKULA’s South China Sea Project (Assault ships & burning tanker)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 07:41:10 PM »
Some reinforcements - some of these were already painted when I got hold of them, but required either touching up, or a full repaint.

Some assault ships for the US - USS Wasp LHD-1 (Iskra metal model) and USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 (resin model by Mountford)

HMS Monmouth Type 23 Frigate (Albatros Metal model)

Sinking tanker (resin model by Coastlines, now OOP I think)

Hope to add some aircraft soon.

:)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:44:20 PM by AKULA »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project (pg 2 burning tanker)
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
Get on with it!

Also, what's you using for the sea?
Yvan eht nioj!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
Get on with it!

Also, what's you using for the sea?

;)

It’s a gaming mat from deepcutstudio.com

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
Ooh, those burning oil fires are quite realistic. Not something you see every day either. Though I suppose you can only really encapsulate them in the smaller scales. :)

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
I imagine the Aussies would certainly get involved in an escalation. We can't help ourselves...  ::)
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 06:17:05 AM »
Glad to hear it!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
the HMS Monmouth is a frigate. The Type 23 are frigates. The Daring Class are destroyers.   o_o
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Nice painting.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
the HMS Monmouth is a frigate. The Type 23 are frigates. The Daring Class are destroyers.   o_o

Yup, good spot...was knackered when I typed that...a permanent state currently.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
Scale shot of the ships so far - squares are 1cm

The Whidbey Island LSD has a bit of a kink, which I guess goes back to the moulding process...fortunately the real vessel doesnt, otherwise it would be sailing around in circles ...
 :D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project (Littoral Combat Ships)
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
A couple more US ships - these both arrived prepainted/decaled - the two competing designs for a Littoral Combat Ship LCS....originally meant for close to shore operations, but now being used more widely.

USS Freedom - metal model by Argos

USS Independence - another metal model by Argos

..and another small island test piece, little more than a helipad, and a dock. The installation is made from some spare plastic from my bits box.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:50:14 AM by AKULA »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project (pg2 Littoral Combat Ships)
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
actually it appears they are now going straight to the scrapyard rather being used more widely...  lol

The Little Crappy Ships provided to be a massive source of problems (engineering is not really good, half of the modules do not work or are still on the drawing board) and they cost much more than originally envisage. They will be probably kept in Singapore for a while to show the flag until something else arrives... the Small Surface Combatant. Originally it appeared they would have been an improved LCS, but the room for improvement is minimal (basically the design has too much space devoted to propulsion for its size)... On top of that the SSC will be based on an 'Americanized' version of a parent frigate.  There are five competitors, decision will be out probably next year,  and the first ship is supposed to be ordered in 2020...

1st competitor: modified Independence Class (well it is fast, 40 knots but it is just the same as before mainly). It is worth to note that the NAvy requirements specified a 28 knots speed.

2nd competitor:  modified Freedom as bought by the Saudis. Same problem as before and the Saudis are removing stuff from the hull. For those interested is now 30 knots.

3rd Competitor.... now it gets interesting. Spanish Alvaro de Bazan, proposed by General Dynamics. Good solid design with Aegis. It also works well. 26 knots.

4th Competiror... Carlo Bergamini. Aegis equipped, 29 knots, best sensor and weapons of the pack. Most expensive. The bidder is Italian Fincantieri (it could be an issue because there is no US sponsor).

5th Competitor... Ingalls shipbuilding is pushing its own modified Legend class cutter (USCG). IT was already rejected during the LCS competition, and it is basically underarmed.

Now 1st and 2nd option are just pimped LCS.  The Freedom has the added 'benefit' to have been already proven wrong in Saudi service. 5th is underarmed as it stand now, but has a balanced space and weight distribution and it is fully US.  The two foreign competitors are better under every aspect except price and... well 'not invented here'. Yet they are proven and working designs. Weaponry is markedly better (5" guns, VLS systems with full capacity). The Bergamini is probably the best in term of raw specifics but it will need to replace the Aster missiles with Standard. The Bazan already as a real VLS with real Standard.  Obvious choice will the Alvaro de Bazan, but we will see.  Anyway look for these models!

Bottom line: the LCSs stay in port and shake hands the Navy is perfectly aware that they cannot do anything (no expanded missions).

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s South China Sea Project (pg2 Littoral Combat Ships)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »
actually it appears they are now going straight to the scrapyard rather being used more widely...

Unfortunately, the USN are stuck with them - the size(and cost) of other navies high-end frigates, but with no VLS or even torpedoes, and poor survivability.  The new frigates that are planned will be better, but I expect the LCS will stay on the active list purely to hit the USN target number of vessels.