Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:36:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685055
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Old School Fantasy Painting Party (Completed)  (Read 187460 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
The Old School Fantasy Painting Party (Completed)
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
Welcome to the LAF Old School Fantasy Painting Party (it's a party because D&D never talked about a 'club of adventurers!). The idea of the painting clubs is for LAF members to populate a club with 100 newly painted miniatures, one miniature at a time, following the theme in question.

The theme for this Painting Party is slightly different. Fantasy is a hugely popular miniatures genre and any Fantasy Painting Party would probably be filled in a few days whilst the rest of us were still under coating. We thought it might be nice to break things down a little and run more than one Fantasy Painting Club/Party. There was some discussion about how to do this but we thought it would be fun to look at the evolution of the fantasy figure and split the club into pre-2000 'Old School' figures and 2000 and beyond figures, incorporating the newer plastic and resin ranges. As well as being a visual potted history of figure ranges it's a great excuse to paint that 1980's figure you've had in a box for 30 years, or that 'OOP Old School Classic' you've just bought on ebay. So, two Fantasy Painting Parties, one for last century, and one for this one. LAFers are welcome to post in one, both, or just enjoy the range of miniatures that will hopefully appear.

So, the Old School Painting Party will cover any Fantasy figure up to 1999, it's effectively splitting the centuries. We totally recognise that there may be a grey area where people aren't entirely sure which side of 2000 a figure belongs to, but as long as people are posting in the spirit of the party, we accept that the odd figure may not technically be in the right place!

The usual Painting Club rules apply:

- Any LAF member can take part.
- You take part by posting in this thread, a picture of a single newly painted miniature that fits the theme.
- You can only post one entry within a 24-hour period.
- You can contribute as many miniatures as you like while the painting club is running. But you can’t post more than one per day.
- The subject of your picture must be a single, fully painted and based miniature.
- It can be whatever scale you like up to 40mm.
- It can be a figure on foot, a mounted figure, or a piece of equipment – a cannon or siege piece, for example.
- You can show your miniature on its own, or in a scenic setting.
- The picture can be a single shot of the miniature, or a composite of different views.
- Photoshop manipulation of the image (except for colour / brightness / contrast correction) is not allowed.
- Your picture should be a maximum size of 1000px x 1000px
- The miniature should be newly-painted for the club and not have been previously shown here or elsewhere on the internet.

If participants submit old stuff, that submission will be disqualified and removed.
If you submit more than one miniature in any one day, or multiple miniatures within a picture, that submission will be disqualified and removed.

You can upload the image using the LAF attachment function, or upload it to an image hosting service and link to here.

When you post a picture, please check the number of the entry before yours and then number your entry accordingly.

It would be great if you could title your entry too and perhaps provide some information about the figure such as the manufacturer and / or sculptor if known.

The club will stay open until 100 contributions have been posted. Then the club is complete.

When you post a picture, you become a member of the club and may add this splendid painting party badge - designed by Westphalia Chris, to your forum signature line:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=35152

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:43:28 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: The Old School Fantasy Painting Party
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »
To kick things off :

No. 1 'Man Masher' Ogre by Nick Lund from Citadel's Chronicle range. 1984
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:04:13 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »
Fantastic! So let's go ... I'm painting some old school giants for a while, so another giant it will be! Undercoating and basic colours already done.  ;D

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
Excellent. Your painting is always a delight to see.

There's a few other LAFers have old school threads on the go so I'm hoping they will post here too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:11:55 PM by Elk101 »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »
I'm in  :)

No. 2 Plastic skeleton warrior Citadel 1987 (I think)

Quick spray and wash then details. Nowt special but he does have a shield from the Empire state of Nordland (my current Oldhammer force).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:52:56 PM by OSHIROmodels »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
Ooo count me in. That ogre looks really nice. Now what to choose.just to clarify. Is it a total of 200 miniatures? 100 in each category?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:29:13 PM »
Beefcake, this club will be 100 Old School Fantasy figures. We will run a separate club for 2000 onwards fantasy figures at a later date.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
Like the detail of the Nordland shield on the skeleton. Get some more of your Nordland stuff on here, they're stunning.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 02:02:53 AM »
Save me a spot!

*hurries off to assemble and undercoat*
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 02:51:50 AM »
Fantastic entries so far, well done.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 05:09:59 AM »
No.3 Grenadier Kobold Woman

I loved these kobold minis ever since my brother bought the kobold on the earth dragon (which I now also have myself) I think I especially like them due to the fact that I had just played Quest for Glory (all time favourite game) and there was a kobold in it very similar to the style of these.
Anyway this is a sexy sexy kobold woman, painted her horns just for this photo she did. I have a bunch more of this range as well.
Original kobolds were released as part of 1505 Monster Manuscript Vol. V and were rereleased in 1992 (so pre 2000) :)

kobold woman by Kieran Me, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:19:02 AM by beefcake »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
I'm liking the little bit of history with each one. It's exactly what we were hoping for!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Off to a great start.
I am going to have to dig deep, deep, deep down to the very bottom-most foundations of the lead mountain to find something for this one... to my old black plastic Humbrol airbrush box, which I recall holds a mish mash of 25mm figures which long since ceased being shiny metal, and turned dull grey like pewter...
I don’t think I’ve opened that box for 20 years, so I’m sure there will be something in there that fits the theme...  ::) ;)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
Be careful of what you might unleash on the world from such a box!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »
I'm really keen to see what you find.
Maybe a new thread needs to be opened called Old school Glorious finds, lol