Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Old School Fantasy Painting Party (Completed)  (Read 188478 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: The Old School Fantasy Painting Party
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »
This is great, some lovely stuff to start.
I’ve just started cleaning up a Vendel Troll.
Anybody know when they were manufactured?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
This is frustrating because I just happen to have on my work desk right now some of the classic all-time greats of the Vintage Citadel age … but it's actually a bunch of guys from an ongoing commission, which isn't in the spirit of the competition!

I'll just have to root out one of my Runequest dudes perhaps.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »
I have some Miniatures from Chronopia (from defunct Target Games). I think they were from the 1990s, they should be good to go? Yes?
Pendrake

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
This is frustrating because I just happen to have on my work desk right now some of the classic all-time greats of the Vintage Citadel age … but it's actually a bunch of guys from an ongoing commission, which isn't in the spirit of the competition!

I'll just have to root out one of my Runequest dudes perhaps.

It's not a competition, Cubs. Just a bit of fun. If it is something you are working on right now I don't think anybody would object to you showing it here. I'll bet a lot of people have submitted things to the various clubs that they were doing anyway in the past.

It's just displaying stuff from your collection that you've already done that is frowned upon, because we wanted to use these clubs to encourage people to get painting.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
I agree with Plynkes, Cubs.
And I have my own question: I have just bought a made to order GW model - one of their old models which are now available on their site to order only. The original model was made in 1994 or 1995, unless I am mistaken, but my own model was made this year. It is identical in design, and is metal, like the original; and possibly (probably?) was produced in the old mould. Is it ok to include him?
(I could use another model from around the same period, but the only ones I have in hand without some extensive digging are rank and file plastics, and I feel like doing the 'new' (or not) big fat guy.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:15:47 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Definitely interested in taking part as I've a few figures sat in the 'one day ' pile (not the lead pile) . Some of these are sets with both the character mounted and on foot. Obviously I'd like to paint the full set. How would such a set fit in?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »
Personally I think it's OK for Cubs to put up a figure from a commission. It still meets the requirements; it's the right timescale and he's painted them himself and they've not been shown before. I'd also like to see them  :D

As regards the question from Vanlak, it's a 1995 sculpt, yes? That does still make it pre 2000 and within our definition of Old School, particularly as you had it cast by the original company. Unlawful recasts would definitely not be acceptable. It's a slightly unexpected grey area, but if no one else has a problem, I don't. It's not outwith the spirit of the club in that sense.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:41:40 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Definitely interested in taking part as I've a few figures sat in the 'one day ' pile (not the lead pile) . Some of these are sets with both the character mounted and on foot. Obviously I'd like to paint the full set. How would such a set fit in?

Just post the mounted figure one day and the foot figure the next. No problems!  :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
No. 4 Plastic skeleton warrior again Citadel 1987 (I think)

Went for a batch spray and base coat on these (got a couple more to finish off) as they're rather easy to do. The shield is a spartan one but mixing it up adds to the flavour with skellies  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »
Nice weathering on the shield.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
As regards the question from Vanlak, it's a 1995 sculpt, yes? That does still make it pre 2000 and within our definition of Old School, particularly as you had it cast by the original company. Unlawful recasts would definitely not be acceptable. It's a slightly unexpected grey area, but if no one else has a problem, I don't. It's not outwith the spirit of the club in that sense.
Thanks - will replace him if there are objections (assuming I do actually finish him). And yes, it's cast by GW themselves, and quite expensive he was too!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
It is identical in design, and is metal, like the original; and possibly (probably?) was produced in the old mould. Is it ok to include him?

Oh what a grave mistake you made by asking. Had you just covered the model with paint, nobody would have given the matter a single thought. lol

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Oh what a grave mistake you made by asking. Had you just covered the model with paint, nobody would have given the matter a single thought. lol

True, but his honesty in the matter is appreciated. It's also been useful in terms of bringing up the recasting issue.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
Oh, no, he's not undead...  :D
Speaking of which, nice job on the skellie, Jim.

And thanks again Elk.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
No. 5 Knight of the Blazing Sun
Citadel, originally sculpted by Michael Perry in 1992(?), 28mm

The actual model was also most likely purchased pre-2000 as it was given to me by a dear friend who introduced me to wargaming in the early 2000s. Back then it got covered in a wild mix of Revell enamels and almost dried up Citadel paints to complement some Bretonnian knights that constituted my very first miniature army.
Buried beneath the proverbial lead mountain amassed since then, this club offered an incentive to dug him out, rub the horrible paintjob off, and repaint him as quickly as possible. The model may originally have represented a member of the Reiksguard, but I chose to paint him as a knight of the Order of the Blazing Sun. These horrible parvenus were the bane of my most noble Bretonnians, yet my merciless tutor kept fielding them again and again. In memory of that literal kick-start into wargaming next time we meet I'll 'refund' my old pal with this model.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:16:45 AM by Mad Doc Morris »