Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Men Of Bronze  (Read 37452 times)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
Men Of Bronze
« on: September 09, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
Are there any news about this new blue Osprey?

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: Men Of Bronze
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Hello,

Let me know if you have any questions.  I would love to answer them. 

First off, the game is scale and base agnostic so you can use Baccus 6mm, Xyston 15mm, Airfix 1/72, or Victrix 28mm; the game will work just fine.  It covers the period from the 7th century BC until the "end of the Hoplite" era with the Battle of Chaeronea in 338 B.C.* 

You can see some battle reports and my *cough* amazing paper templates at my blog here:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/01/men-of-bronze-battle-report-corinthian.html

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2018/05/battle-report-men-of-bronze-battle-of.html

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2018/03/battle-report-men-of-bronze-battle-of.html

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2018/04/battle-report-men-of-bronze-ravaging.html

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/12/men-of-bronze-battle-report-marathon.html

I will have some fully painted and better presented Battle Reports by the time of the release.   ;)  In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions. 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »
Quite interesting. So totally not my period I really need to get started on that  lol.
Will follow the develeopments.
Leadhead

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »
I hadn't heard about this before.... Very interesting. How many units are involved in a standard game? I saw the Corinth vs Sparta game only had a few (a plus for me).

And will units be multibases or singles? I assume multi as you say 6mm is an option.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
There is no required basing.  The key thing is you need to be able to know if a unit is in Open Order or Phalanx and who the "leader" base is of the unit.  So, a multi-based unit could be 5 bases of double figures, with one base clearly having a leader on it.  It could be 10 bases of 4 figures with a leader.  The only requirement is that both sides should have the same general basing, but that is not even necessary for casual games with a bit of discussion.   

As far as units per side, I have played with as few as 2-3 per side, with a standard game having about 5-6.  Of course, you can also go as large as you wish.  So, if you are going single base 28mm models, you would only need about 50 to 60 models per side.  That is like, 2 or 3 boxes of plastic models for a full army.  I was able to get a Corinthian, Spartan, and Macedonian army for about $300 USD or so. 

Now, Painting them has taken me a little longer.   lol       

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
This had me super excited... :D

So, if we were doing 10mm, could we have a phalanx of say 24 figures on two bases? Separating them slightly or pushed together to show open/closed order?

Is there a list of which states are included in the army lists?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »
Going from memory the list of army lists is...

Athens
Spartans
Thebes
Other City-States (Corinth, Argo, Ionians, etc.)
Macedonians
Persians
Hill Tribes

.... However, the game uses somewhat generic units so it is easy to add/modify to fit the details you uncover in your research about a particular battle, City-State, or your own Imagi-Nation.       

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
Splendid, thanks.

So, if we were going to start building up a selection of forces, would two 40x40 bases of 10mm or 6mm figures work as a phalanx?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
It would work, but I think i would prefer 3 bases, so one base could clearly have 'Leader' elements as the location of the leader plays a bit part in moving, flanking, LOS, etc. 

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
We have a lot of stuff based like this:

I presume you could just use the place where the bases join as the 'leader'?

Are all unit types ok to have the same width? I.e., phalanx and peltasts both on 80mm widths.

Do you ever need separate commanders?

Thanks  ::)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
It would work, but I think i would prefer 3 bases, so one base could clearly have 'Leader' elements as the location of the leader plays a bit part in moving, flanking, LOS, etc.

Is the leader not at the right hand end of the phalanx?
I might be a bit out of date on my classical warfare, but I always thought leaders were on the right at the front of the phalanx.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
Is the leader not at the right hand end of the phalanx?
I might be a bit out of date on my classical warfare, but I always thought leaders were on the right at the front of the phalanx.

Historically, they sure were, yes. However, I suspect the author here is going for wargaming convention of using a 'leader' to mark a centre front position to measure movement etc from. Several games seem to do that including Hail Caesar I think.

My multi-based hoplites will certainly have their leaders to the right.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »
Correct on both counts.  The leaders led from the front right since no one could cover them with a shield so they were taking the "most" risk.  Gamewise, I put the leader at the center for measuring purposes very similar to Chosen Men. 

You do NOT need separate commanders at all, and Peltasts can be based the same as Hoplites.  However, Peltasts are always in open order and can not form a phalanx so if you keep that in mind it won't matter!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »
Perfect!

I ordered the little 10mm sacrificing priest from Magister Militum and wasn't sure whether to base him with/in front of the hoplites, or separately. Not that I have 10mm hoplites yet.