Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Solo Dungeon Crawl  (Read 8810 times)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Re: Solo Dungeon Crawl
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 01:53:49 AM »
I played another solo scenario called "kill the boss" in which the party has been hired by local farmers to eliminate the goblin menace from the dungeon complex.  The adventurers have to find and kill the leader of the goblins (there are several possibilities for who it might be). Trouble started immediately upon entering the dungeon when the party was attacked by giant spiders.  Then the adventurers had to contend with a dangerous trap which almost killed the half-orc fighter.  There were random encounters with wargs and another spider, and the rogue almost met his end failing to disarm a trapped door.  With some luck, the party eventually stumbled into the goblin chieftain's lair and fought a major battle with him and his minions including a large bugbear.  After all the enemies were slain, a chest was discovered but the hoard inside was somewhat disappointing as was the subsequent reward from the farmers. 

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
I think those modular tiles are perfect and I really like the pjs on those figs. The whole project has that wonderful retro feel.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 03:33:59 AM »
Thanks, I am much more into figure painting than terrain making but one needs a dungeon for a dungeon crawl.  Also, the retro feel is no accident as I first played D&D and AD&D back in 1979/80 when I was in junior high; "Keep on the Borderlands," "Village of Homlet," etc etc.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 09:47:33 PM »
The party continued their adventures with an expedition into the "Tomb of the Undead."

The inhabitants of a normally peaceful market village claim to have seen deceased friends and relatives walking the streets after dark.  With the community in a state of near panic, the mayor has turned to a group of itinerant adventurers who recently cleared some neighbouring farmland of goblin raiders.    The party has been directed to investigate a nearby ancient crypt complex which is still used by the community and is rumoured to be at the centre of the disturbance.  Some villagers tell of hearing strange noises emanating from the crypt entrance at night and they fear some malevolent force has taken residence inside. 

In this mission, the party has been hired to recover an ancient sacred object that was hidden somewhere in the troubled crypt complex years ago but the location of which is now forgotten.  The villagers hope to use the powers of the sacred object in their struggle against the undead.  The adventurers descend a dark stone stairway into part of the dungeon.  They hack their way through a room occupied by a horde of zombies and another inhabited by skeleton warriors.  At one point it seems that they have found an ancient treasure chest which turns out to be a predatory mimic with a huge and long tongue.  After entering a large chamber where a ghoul and a ghast are destroyed, the party finally finds the hidden object and returns to the surface to collect the reward.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »
The party once again explores the ancient tomb complex in an effort to eliminate the source of the undead plague.  Cautiously stepping down an old spiral stairway, they are immediately set upon by a horrific and dangerous wight which is dispatched after more than a few swings of axe and sword.  The party then enters a large room which turns out to be home to a horde of ravenous zombies led by two more menacing wights. Badly outnumbered, the adventurers withdraw back toward the staircase allowing the pursuing undead to become funneled in the narrow passage.   The undead creatures are gradually cut down but in the process the party is so mauled that it has to return to the surface to recover. 

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »
Almost forgot the pictures:

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
The next day the now rested party returned to the tomb.  They encountered a couple of pathetic zombies at the base of the stairs and easily destroyed the wretches. After eliminating a wandering ghoul, the adventurers burst into a large room filled with skeleton warriors and an epic fight ensued.  Once the skeletons were turned into heaps of bone and dust, the party ventured deeper into the complex where they found the headquarters of an evil anti-paladin with his undead entourage.  Here was the source of the infestation!  In the subsequent battle the diabolical knight hit very hard and almost killed several party members but he missed a few attacks allowing the half-orc fighter to cut him down with two lucky critical hits in a row.  The party collected a respectable amount of treasure and returned to the nearby village to collect their reward.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Nice project. Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Did something similar with 1" foam and faux-stone floor tiles. Whole thing cost me $50 and a weekend's worth of elbow grease.

Wow, is there a post dedicated to what you did here? Looks simple enough but some tips and tricks would help.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
Yes, it is fun though I find that I have to be in a certain frame of mind to play it.  The dungeon terrain pieces are made out of the pink foam insulation stuff that you get at "Home Depot."  I cut a grid pattern on the floor and then use a hot glue gun to attach all the little blocks for the walls.  Then paint it with cheap craft paint - black base and then use a sponge to dab on grey.  The miniatures are from a variety of manufacturers but mostly Otherworld.  Someone asked about the Dwarf barbarian which is a Wizkids Nolzur's mini with a new axe and backpack.  I wanted to have a "slayer" type of Dwarf but not a naked one with a three foot tall mohawk as in GW etc.

For game play, the basic idea is to use 5e D&D rules as the basis for a solo (or perhaps cooperative game at some point) miniature dungeon crawl game.  That covers combat, character advancement, random treasure etc.  I created a basic game mechanic of rolling for random dungeon terrain pieces that the party enters as they explore. I also wrote three simple adventure modules each with a specific theme (Goblin lair, undead tomb, Orc stronghold) with tables for room encounters, wandering monsters, appropriate room features (dungeon furniture) etc.  Of course, the tables reflect the minis in my collection so I add to them as I get new ones.  I am tweaking the system as I play games but so far it seems pretty good.  The new thing I tried with these last two sessions was with the party entering the dungeon from the middle of the game table using a stairs (thanks Zealot Minis).  The idea is they are descending down into the dungeon.  Before, I had the party enter the dungeon from the table edge as if walking straight into a cave.   Another thing I tried a few months ago was having 5 characters in the party but it turned out too easy.  4 seems best. 

Offline barbaric splendor

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 05:38:06 AM »
Inspiring thread - love the images and ideas!

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
Someone asked me to post pictures of the Dwarf barbarian showing him from various angles.  I had some technical problems but my computer is now cooperating so here they are:

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
Someone asked me to post pictures of the Dwarf barbarian showing him from various angles.  I had some technical problems but my computer is now cooperating so here they are:
Sure that person is appreciative, I know I am. :-)

Grimm

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »
There is another Dwarf barbarian in the same pack.  I think he is supposed to be a higher level version of this guy with some armor and a spiked shield.  I plan to give him a similar weapon upgrade and backpack.

Also, I just picked up the latest Nolzur's Dwarf barbarian set and they look pretty good.  One guy has a horned helmet and a two-handed axe. While I am not a big fan of some of the Nolzur's character figures, I like their dwarves.  Good balance of stockiness with actual legs.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
There is another Dwarf barbarian in the same pack.  I think he is supposed to be a higher level version of this guy with some armor and a spiked shield.  I plan to give him a similar weapon upgrade and backpack.
That is true. The character packs are the lesser and "greater" version of the same character.

Also, I just picked up the latest Nolzur's Dwarf barbarian set and they look pretty good.  One guy has a horned helmet and a two-handed axe. While I am not a big fan of some of the Nolzur's character figures, I like their dwarves.  Good balance of stockiness with actual legs.
With any line of mins it is hit or miss.
Yes, i own all the dwarves and most of the Halflings and Gnomes.
As for the rest of the characters hit and miss.
Love the creature packs, and cant beat the price. Beholders beware. :-)
JUst wish the new ones didn't jump to $14.99 each though, but still a good price for a couple of them.
Giant needs metter weapons.

Grimm