Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 523
Total: 529

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant 9.9.18 - Empire vs Skaven  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
Dragon Rampant 9.9.18 - Empire vs Skaven
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
https://wigangames.club/index.php?topic=322.msg1085#msg1085

Young Daniel's return from deepest darkest "Yarkshire" prompted a four player game of Dragon Rampant, Pete and Aggressive Dave fielding Skaven against me and Danny with my Empire forces....who have so far been undefeated....oh how Danny's Yorkshire influence would ruin this!!!

Given that it was Danny's first game we decided on a straight forward 24 point battle.  I allowed Danny to have the pick of my units, fielding a heavy infantry spear unit, wardogs (lesser warbeasts), 2 units of scouts, a unit of light missiles, a unit of heavy missiles, a wizardling and a block of peasants to bravely sacrifice themselves to defend the Comte D'el Monte.

In his true style Pete had 3 units of slave (fearful) infantry, two of them with the exploder rules, a block of heavy infantry with a wizardling, heavy missiles and lesser warbeasts. 

The rolls for deciding who was attacking/defending.  Pete rolling a one and Danny rolling a stunning two (maybe one his best rolls of the game!!).

The forces lined up and Danny prepared to move his battle line forward.....his plan for destroying the vile skaven clear in his mind's eye.  Obviously he failed to activate his unit, oh how Dave rejoiced at somebody being as appalling at dice rolling as himself!.

This set the tone, after four turns Danny, the attacker, had managed to advance some scouts, but failed to move anything else, I believe he can be quoted as saying "let the defenders come to us".

Stunningly the Empire scouts managed to see of their opposite numbers, routing them.  However slowly but surely the Skaven approached the Empire's battle line, which apart from some manoeuvring of the brave enchantress to screen the Comte D'el Monte (despite the ratmen berating him for hiding behind an innocent virginal woman) the Empire troops just would not activate.  Two units of slaves openly marching straight at the dense Empire line......Dave making several assurances that they were not the exploders, even though his general's unit stayed suspiciously back from them!!

However, as these two units approached Danny had them in a bottle neck, two units of scouts, the enchantress and the light missile troops all setting their sights on them... surely nothing could go wrong..... yet another failed order on a double one...obviously the exploders did exactly what you'd expect, wiping out the scouts, breaking the missile unit and killing a couple of spearmen!!  But they did take a unit of skaven slaves with them too.

Danny's wardogs did manage to kill the skaven warbeasts, this being the crowning glory of Danny's game.  The enchantress did manage to stop the skaven missile troops from firing repeatedly but this only delayed the inevitable slow demise of the remaining Empire troops.

The Comte D'el Monte eventually fled the field. His phobia of rats (and close combat) getting the better of him.  Clearly Le Yogi Bear needs to return to the Empire army!!

From now on Danny shall be known as "Dandicap", the only person consistently able to roll worse dice than aggressive Dave!!!

More photos on the forum, follow the link above.

Thanks for looking

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant 9.9.18 - Empire vs Skaven
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Cool great to see. Keep gaming in the Old World!

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Nice looking game! We really like DR. But there needs to be a tweak for activation. We are going to apply the idea from TMWBK. Each type of unit has an auto action the can do each turn. Roll for everything else. I love chaos in my rules. But this can sour a game due to poor rolling consitenty.
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:14:17 AM »
Ah... the unit size in DR certainly looks like 3rd edition WFB; well done.

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
Nice looking game! We really like DR. But there needs to be a tweak for activation. We are going to apply the idea from TMWBK. Each type of unit has an auto action the can do each turn. Roll for everything else. I love chaos in my rules. But this can sour a game due to poor rolling consitenty.

interesting idea, we may have to try this...there was an awful lot of failed order rolls!!

can't beat the oldhammer figures and with a bit of sense we've found that you can represent the character of them well.

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
Some converted militia are needed to counteract those exploding skaven!

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:24:08 AM »
Could these be some of the swordsmen you bought from me months ago? Anyway, nice use of the old plastics!