Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thirty Years War Spanish v French  (Read 988 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Thirty Years War Spanish v French
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
A spot of Rocroi-era action. The figures belong to my friend John who brought them round last night for a game.
We used 'For King and Parliament' which as always gave a good exciting game. The only modification was to give the Spanish tercios an extra hit (so 4 hits instead of 3 for standard infantry units).

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Thirty Years War Spanish v French
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
A very interesting period , I haven’t used these rules , the table looks to be divided into squares.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Thirty Years War Spanish v French
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »
Yes, the rules use a grid. I normally use a 6 inch grid (and I have one of the DeepCut studios mats with such a grid), but John's lovely figures were in units too big to fit in 6 inches, so I used an 8 inch grid for this game, so the table was rather small, with only limited scope for manouevre. Still gave a good game, though.
These rules (and their ancient forebear, To the Strongest) allow a large battle to be played to a conclusion in a couple of hours. Ideal for an evening's gaming.
The combination of the grid and the cards really speeds the game up, but there is still plenty of interesting decision making for the players.