Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Glorious Revolution here of Big Battalions  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Glorious Revolution here of Big Battalions
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »
A couple of us are looking to start a project for 1688-1691 Ireland (one of the crew is doign Sedgemoor and using the troops for both) will this be the place to share the experience and get advice or should I be in the Big Battalions section?
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Glorious Revolution here of Big Battalions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
Nice if you don't stick to what happened, but deal with what might have happened.
The Irish still think they were short changed by James II. He often referred to as
James the shit. Sound nicer in the Gaelic, but I don't know how to spell it.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
thanks has been, still lots of gaming even if we stay close to history in Ireland although Sedgemoor less so I think.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
Ooh! This'll be good  :)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:14 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, a very interesting period and loads of "what ifs" :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
Just a few 'what if's to get you started.
1) London-Derry falls to the Jacobites (in some places it had walls that were very low & it
    only avoided starvation due to one ship succeeding in breaking the chain across Lough Foil,
    It very nearly didn't become besieged but the Apprentice Boys slammed the gates against the
    wishes of the Mayor)
2) James opposes the Williamite march south at the mountain passes, not the Boyne.
3) James (at the Boyne) doesn't send his best Infantry on a useless manoeuvre to his left flank.
4) The Jacobite C.inC. at the battle of Oughram doesn't
    a)tell everyone that only he is to order the reserves forward. then
    b) head butt a cannon ball. 

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
Thanks gents, just to be clear then Pikes and Flouncy shirts is the place for this thread?

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
Well,according to the "What goes..." at the head of this section,I'd say you are fine  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Great, we are looking at creating a smany multi use units as possible. At least 3 of the Regiments at Sedfemoor also fought at the Boyne 5 years later, presumably from a gamers perspective looking pretty much identical. The Rebels will also look almost identical to Irish Militia and the defenders of Derry and Enniskilling early doors. We are toying with the red coated regiments having seperate command bases so a red faced yellow can be Jacobite, Williamite, Danish or even Great Northern War Saxon if we do it right. The two bases of shot wont change, we will split the command base in half perhaps with a half base of pike and half base of flags/command, so for other units with pike we simple paint an extra three figures with the appropriate flags but for a Saxon ofr Danish unit with no pike we have an extra half base of shot as well as the command figures. Nothign finalised but wouldnt it be great to have  acore collection you can use for the Glorious Revolution, Sedgemoore, the Scanian Wars, the Nine years War and also the Seige of Vienna?

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
I like your thinking on this  :)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
Great, we are looking at creating a smany multi use units as possible. ...... Nothing finalised but wouldnt it be great to have  acore collection you can use for the Glorious Revolution, Sedgemoore, the Scanian Wars, the Nine years War and also the Seige of Vienna?

I was looking just this weekend at the possibilities of using the new Warfare ragged and shirtsleeves figures as the basis for stands of musketeers who can be both campaign worn Russians in Wallachia who have shed their coats and ill-equipped Jacobites in Ireland. I reckon it’s a goer!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »
Thanks for asking. It’s right on the boundary of the periods/genres isn’t it. So I think it’s fine to put it in whichever you prefer. 1685 always feels to me like the postscript to the civil wars and restoration, and is the end of the Stuarts, sort of, so it fits in pikes and muskets. But you’re also moving rapidly towards the era of uniformed, regimented musket and bayonet armed infantry and the disappearance of the pike, in which case it’s verging on ‘Big Battalions’. It doesn’t really matter too much, I don’t think. This board was originally swashbuckling adventures, which is why it encompasses some much later C18th anomalies like pirates and F&IW...

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
Thanks Captain, I think I will keep it in here if thats ok and my other project on the Great Northern War can stay in the big battalions. I am a way off producing anything more than a couple of test figures which I will shar ein due course. Although a spreadsheet so I can work out which units can be used for multiple nationalities is already consructed.