Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What are you gaming at present?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
What are you gaming at present?
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
What rules or what theme are you using for your games? 

I got into Sellswords and Spellslingers quite heavily for a while, but seem to have lost interest in this for the moment.  A bit of Dragon Rampant and I am now wondering about giving either GWs Battle Companies or Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes a go.  I still haven't found a big battle set of rules to my tastes.  Mostly I am playing Tolkien themed games, but a few more D&D type fantasy themed games also.  Currently I am using 28mm, but would like to do big battles in 10mm.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: What are you gaming at present?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:03:19 PM »
Couple of things for me. First Frostgrave and Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago. Quite hooked on the official theme of Ghost Archipelago with the jungles, dinosaurs and water rules. I've built up a complete beastiary for Ghost Archipelago core book, and working on expansion monsters as well. 

Second is SAGA/Game of Thrones. I have two kitbashed armies, a larger Stark force and a smaller Lannister force. We're playing quite a bit of SAGA v2 right now, but I've just completed a non-Fantasy force for it so the Starks are on the shelf for the time being. Together with those forces I've also been building a middle age/fantasy village terrain set, with houses, civilian figures, vignettes of village life and animals etc.

Not got any big battle rule sets going at the moment, but it might be coming. There is some interest in 9th Age at the club where I play, and if Oathmark looks good I think I might be able to sell people on that.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
Whitehack, The Black Hack and Into the Odd for RPGs with miniatures.

Song of Blades for small skirmishes; Saga and Dragon Rampant for large skirmishes.

Hordes of the Things for massed battles, and working up towards Xenos Rampant for sci-fi battles (in 15mm).

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:15:30 AM »
Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades and Heroes for fantasy... the guys over in the future wars area got me on the FUBAR ruleset that's free to download with subsections for any genre... I've been enjoying it for sci-fi with my AT-43 dudes... I also enjoy the rules for the CMON GoT game... played a few games of that recently.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »
All RPGs lately. With minis and terrain of course, but it's the only way we can all play. Next up is Savage Worlds and Symbaroum.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:06:55 AM »
My two main rules sets are the Song of... series of rules and DBA.

However, most currently I am getting ready to play Undead States of America
and the new Strontium Dog rules.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 05:43:25 AM »
Dracula's America, Ghost Archipelago, Frostgrave w my group, Tribal w my son, SOBAH w my older daughter, and Khan of Khans with the family. Sounds like a lot, but maybe a game of two a month in reality. Everyone is so busy in the summer.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:03 AM »
I forgot Rogue Planet! I've played a couple of games of that in the last few weeks and plan to play more.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Not actually gaming these days, but I'm building minis for Game of Thrones using Lion Rampant rules.

I'm looking for a system for smaller battles too, something like 20-25 men per side, a small patrol or a knight's retinue. Looking at Outreemer, Open Combat, Ronin/En Garde, an old version of GW's LotR system and a cut down version of Warmachine. Frostgrave and Mordheim are also in the mix.

So far no single system does what I want so I'll probably bash something together from different systems. The activation and character advancement rules from Outreemer boltet on to a slightly modded LotR game engine?

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
While I love the Song of rules as a game system, I've moved away from it.  I'd like it to go a bit larger, but the one-at-a-time combat resolution is probably going to keep it small.  Similar for GW's Middle Earth rules.  I just got the new box for the figures, and I do like the rules.

But I've been playing One Page Rules' Age of Fantasy using my GW LotR figures.  I go for Tolkien-inspired, rather than recreating that setting.  The armies are based on Warhammer versions, so they don't quite fit, but I've been liking them.

I haven't had a game in a while.  I have some painting to do, and I'm making a map, because I have hopes that adding some story to the games will make them more interesting.  They were getting kinda samey.

andy

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
Just getting into Dragon Rampant, a nice way to use small units of GW figures which suits my glacially slow painting speed. Going to try Sellswords and Spellslingers at some point, and theoretically AoS if I can either swallow my pride and play unpainted, or bother to paint up the ghosties.

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
I still play Sellswords and Spellslingers when I have a minute of time to myself. I've been playing quite a bit of Deadzone and a bit of Kings of War.  My main focus right now is Middle Earth Battle Strategy Game. I played the older version a few times and liked it. I really enjoy the minis and new boxed set really got me to dive in. There is also the occasional D&D game thrown in.
My painting time has been spent getting an Isengard force ready for a MESBG tournament that is coming up soon. I don't really dig tournaments but it's a good way immerse yourself in the rules.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 01:29:29 AM »
Sellswords & Spellslingers with my youngest daughter, as soon as I have painted the last member of her party, andcleared the dinner table which is currently cluttered with plastic vegetation and Star Wars 3D-printed stuff for SW Legion, a recent addition to my games collection.

I am planning to do some solo Pulp Alley and solo Strange Aeons this fall/winter, and I have a couple of ongoing Nappie projects; 1/72 Black Powder and 28mm Song of Drums and Shakos/FfoL Horse & Musket/Chosen Men.

And then - as a byproduct of SWL, I am going to do some Star Warsy skirmish, probably Void Pirates and later Galactic Heroes... I think that is all right now, allthough I have other projects on low in the background...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »
Any thoughts on Lords & Servants?

I bought a PDF copy of it yesterday, in the hopes that it can be used for both size games I want.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
I've been toying around with Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelagos for a while now.  Not much gaming but lots of collecting and a bit of painting. I'd given up playing Warhammer Fantasy even before the transition to Age of Sigmar, but the recent release of the Nighthaunt faction has temped me to dip my toes in again.   The new edition for the GW Tolkien game (Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game) has me pulling my old miniatures out again, assuming I can find someone else to game with.   ;)
Mike