Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Ruins *Trenches*  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: 6mm destroyed buildings
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Well, in this case, I love black magic! 8)

The results are just awesome, and really convincing.

Would you consider making these in 10mm as well? A bunch of these in that scale would be just perfect creating collapsed buildings for Dropzone Commander.

I could even slaughter some kittens to aid your magics... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Thank you all! :) Not black magic, considering the amount of plaster used i'd call it more of a white magic, don't you think?

However, slaughtering kittens is always appreciated. Mana is mana, afterall. :D

As per the 10mm thing: I might have problems printing the actual floors to start with, and the whole builds would get fairly big. Moreover, thanks to DC the 10mm scenery are pretty much the only small scale scenery on the market i find convincing. Being entirely modular they do require some serious work to make them work properly, but all in all they're pretty good.

6mm, on the other hand, is vastly played but most of the marked is either super-advanced scifi designs or fairly cheap designs. Or MDF, of course, if you are into that kind of kink.

More will follow as soon as i manage to overcome the adversities with my printer. First i run out of resin, now a blackout in the block killed my print midway. Fairly frustrating.

Cheers
Jack

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
"Its not black magic"

Continues to describe multiple ways "fate" intervened in his prints. Keep telling yourself that mate, also do you want your cult robes in medium or large?

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
"Its not black magic"

Continues to describe multiple ways "fate" intervened in his prints. Keep telling yourself that mate, also do you want your cult robes in medium or large?

Considering how many issues i'm facing, i'm rather considering to be modelling a building built on an indian cemetery. :S

Anyways, i've got the new parts working. Much sharper than the previous ones, should do a hell of a job! Pics coming in the next few days! :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 09:47:33 PM »
Here some updates!

I finally maanged to print the new design (similar but improved), to mold it and to cast pieces that didn't crumble under my fingers. All the steps were far from trivial, but the result is imho better than before. The sides will be sanded for the alignment, and there is a LOT of work to do to polish, weather and add TONS of rubble around, but the base structure is there. The first four floors are detachable, to simplify the casting. i guess i could pile more together, if i keep the ground floor separated too. :)

Impressions so far? Feedbacks are very important right now to me!

Cheers
Jack

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 05:07:01 AM »
It looks good, although I think that the damage on the lower picture looks a bit to clean on the short end (it looks like four floors were blasted off, while the four under them were less or more unharmed).

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 05:58:20 AM »
These are perfect, best I have seen. I'd try and go the modular floor route if the casting allows a good fit.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »
This looks absolutely brilliant.

Someone better hurry and get those into production.

But as Ockman says, there could be a colapsed floor on the blown away part.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
This is turning out absolutely awesome; probably the best collapsed miniature building I've seen.

I have to echo the rubble thing (but you already acknowledged that), but I did notice one other thing; the floors seem way too thick proportionally.

Is that because of the limitations of the material you're using, a consious choice, or an oversight? Because I feel they could do with being a bit thinner right now :)

Other than that; miniature brilliance (even though it's at the wrong scale for me ;) ).

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
Thank you all!
Yeah, the bottom floors for now are ways too clean. But i'll fill them with rubble piles on their sides, and battle damage too. I know I should "propagate" the damage to the lower levels, but it's the compromise for a castable thing alas.

This is turning out absolutely awesome; probably the best collapsed miniature building I've seen.

I have to echo the rubble thing (but you already acknowledged that), but I did notice one other thing; the floors seem way too thick proportionally.

Is that because of the limitations of the material you're using, a consious choice, or an oversight? Because I feel they could do with being a bit thinner right now :)

Other than that; miniature brilliance (even though it's at the wrong scale for me ;) ).

Thanks! The last design had much thinner floors, but after 7-8 failed casts (the pieces collapsing while being removed from the mold! :( ) i had to thicken it again.
Once the "below" parts will be filled with rubble for casting purposes, that will be less noticeable though.

The whole thing is drying now, in the next days i'll try to add the rest of the details.
I'm considering to add some AC Units on the walls, could that work?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Ah, so it's as I thought; limitations of the used materials. Nothing that can be done about that I suppose.

And yes; airco units would be nice to break up the surface of the side walls (where I suppose you're planning on putting them?), as long as it won't interfere with casting.

You would need to make a few that have either been dislodged (crooked positioning), or dropped down completely (just some loose piping coming out of the wall) as well of course...

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
Ah, so it's as I thought; limitations of the used materials. Nothing that can be done about that I suppose.

And yes; airco units would be nice to break up the surface of the side walls (where I suppose you're planning on putting them?), as long as it won't interfere with casting.

You would need to make a few that have either been dislodged (crooked positioning), or dropped down completely (just some loose piping coming out of the wall) as well of course...

I don't see why not.

I would put them near the windows in the side walls, and maybe some on the unused parts of the front walls too.
Let's see how it goes. For now I am printing the front door, then I'll have a bit to work on! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
One idea, that might be castable: a crack running along the facade?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
One idea, that might be castable: a crack running along the facade?

I like that! It's gonna take some effort to break all the floors in an alighend way, but i like it!

Meanwhile, as an additional element for the rubbles:

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »
and DONE!

The first building - not the test, the good one - is done! next ones will be a possible improvement, but so far so happy.

Some closeup of details below: crashed cars and other internal structures.

C&C welcome. Fairly happy with this one!

Cheers

Jack