Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tjubs 15mm blog  (Read 29682 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: 15mm Evil Dwarves - Tjublings
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
Simply brilliant! Please make them available quickly. I’m currently in a painting break as my wife gave birth to a wonderful little Chaos Dwarf princess in 530mm scale ( :o yeah... I know, try to get some terrain for that size!), but I wanna finish my army as soon as possible!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Superb work! I'd love to see some painted examples.

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:42 AM »
Superb work! I'd love to see some painted examples.
Thanks, that will take some time. But Ill post here one I get my hands on them... :)

Simply brilliant! Please make them available quickly. I’m currently in a painting break as my wife gave birth to a wonderful little Chaos Dwarf princess in 530mm scale ( :o yeah... I know, try to get some terrain for that size!), but I wanna finish my army as soon as possible!
Thanks! If it would be up to me they'd be available tomorrow, but Im not running Admiralty Miniatures so I will have to wait as well. Need those pesky meat shields for my army! This little Brexit thing put the production at pause until its settled, best channel of information is the AM FBpage I guess. https://www.facebook.com/AdmiraltyMiniatures/

Heres a unit of Tjubling Blunderbusses, to be used as Abyssal Dwarf Decimators for 15mm Kings of War. Here comes the BOOM!

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »
Been working on some various critters...

Beyond soaring mountains lie the vast Ashlands, a harsh patchwork of landscapes varying from steppe to lava pools and giant briar forests, cut through by dry wadis, gaping earthquake fissures and unclean streams alike, and dotted by oases that are all too often toxic. Foreigners' babbling rumours has it that this is nought but an empty desert - nay, it is hell on earth, a realm of smoke where daemons in towering headgear cavort in fields of fire!

Yet in these nightmarish environs, life is still to be found, far more plentiful and rich in shapes and species than one would expect of such inhospitable wastelands. These are all rugged lifeforms, made deadly or cunning or wretched to survive and prosper in such dangerous lands.

On the southern Bonefields, the fabled Bak-kak-ku bird hunt and breed, infamous for its aggressive temper and sought after as a monstrous mount by Tjubgob riders.

Dreaded Bonestingers skitters on the Bonefields among the graveyards of monsters, their bodies shaped like skulls, ever the main prey of the Bak-kak-ku.

Floating on hot streams of air are to be found the Yri-Moss-Han, great creatures resembling jellyfish with paralyzing tentacles, which Tjubgob shamans collect to chew on, in order to increase their magical potential and open up their minds.

The Wanderlust Fungus is an insidious horror of the Ashlands, for it infects living beings and alters their personalities until the host body is little more than an empty shell wandering about the wasteland, until they come across optimal conditions for founding a new colony of fungi.

All over the Ashlands can be found Trailers, slightly resembling armadillos and turtles. These tough scavengers are attracted to caravans, and will eat almost anything left over by the caravan. The longer a caravan has travelled, the more Trailers follow in its wake.

Not all life in the Ashlands has a beating pulse, nor even a breath. The winding way to the Plateau of Madness is guarded by the Watchers of Zhubb, groups of ancient stones shackled together, possessing eyes that strike terror into all wanderers. Few can gather the courage to approach them, and fewer still to meet their many-eyed gaze. These mysterious rocks are old beyond the reckoning of mortals, mute witnesses to forgotten secrets...

Such are some of the flora and fauna in the Ashlands.

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2019, 05:31:14 AM »
Wrote this on another forum(http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com) on how we do 15mm Kings of War...

Tjublings - a journey into 15mm Kings of War
Since I've got the question about what is out there for 15mm and how we play 15mm KoW. I've written a quick article about it meant as an introduction, please post any feedback or questions below. :hat off

First off there are several systems which are popular in 15mm, both for Skirmish and Rank ’n’ File. I will be focusing on Kings of War and Vanguard, both done by Mantic. Among others are: Horde of Things, Battle Valor, Dragon Rampant, Song of Blades and Heroes, Frostgrave etc.

Kings of War handles your bigger battles with 50+ infantry while Vanguard deals with those minor skirmishes taking place before the main battle. Be it scouting, raiding and so on. They both tie in together for a more narrative approach to your wargaming, where Vanguard supports with an experience system, individual equipment etc.

The basic rules are free for both systems and can be found over at Mantic Games: http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html
While the free rules are great to get to know the game before you commit to it, you will eventually want to buy the rules. To get the full core rules of the game you will need the Rulebook for KoW2.0 as well as Uncharted Empires for those extra army lists not covered in the Rulebook. Each year Mantic releases a Clash of Kings pack which cover minor updates to army lists to balance the meta as well as updated magic items, spells, legendary characters, formations etc. Each Clash of Kings collects all previous updates to the game, so you will only ever need the most up to date, Clash of Kings 2019(CoK19)

Armylist building
Easy Army is free and has a free army builder for both Kings of War and Vanguard. Which I strongly recommend, because it includes all rules as well as updates from CoK and give you a printable pdf with handy rule sections for the units chosen:
http://www.easyarmy.com/

Basing
First of all I want to say that we don’t play competitive games in my circle of friends. KoW is a good game for such, and has a great tournament scene. But you will have to be a bit more careful when scaling down to get the exact translation. As long as your group agrees on a meta you should be just fine. In my gaming group we simply convert inch to cm, which is easy and works great.

For all bases we use 2mm MDF. We buy our bases from Warbases. https://warbases.co.uk/

For basing material we use Woodland Scenics Fine Turf which are available in several different colours. Here I recommend to coat with PVA and flock, once dry mix ¼ PVA and ¾ Water. Soak the flock and flock again. This gives a much richer basing and cover any edges from tabs on models etc. Link to tutorial.
Woodland Scenics

Nerve/damage markers
In KoW you track the amount of damage a unit has taken, and take a Nervtest to see if the unit breaks/flees.
To track the damage taken by a unit we use 5mm dice placed behind the units. Seen on some of the photos below. Simply add them up.
Dice and diceholders are available from Pendraken. I would recommend a two sets of 10 dice and one set each of the double and tripple frames.
https://pendraken.co.uk/dice-frames/5mm/

Lore
The lore in Kings of War is a bit weak compared to Warhammer, but it’s been deepening a lot in recent year and given time it will be a good setting as well. There is nothing preventing you from setting your battles in the Old World or creating your own setting.

There are a few Novels available for KoW from Mantic, other than that the lore is sprinkled throughout the books.

Campaigns
There are several ways to run a campaign using Kings of War/Vanguard. Either there is the Destiny of Kings Campaign supplement. Or older CoK has rules for both campaigns as well as an experience system for your units. Vanguard of course has its own campaign system with links to KoW as well. Where your different Vanguard missions directly affects your KoW battles.

In 2018 Mantic ran their Edge of the Abyss summer campaign which was a success and brought the lore of KoW forward. They have promised to follow up on more campaigns in the future.

CoK19 brought the Siege Rules to KoW as well, which we have not yet been able to try out.

About once a year there is a Kings of War International Campaign Day which I can’t recommend enough! Join the group on Facebook for more info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/USKoWCampaignDay/

Miniatures
Obviously I recommend the Tjublings as Abyssal Dwarfs. :P https://www.etsy.com/se-en/shop/AdmiraltyMiniatures
For Obsidian Golems/Fire Elementals the "Adult Demonic Elementals" from PuppetsWar.eu are great! https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-46/fantasy/adult-demonic-elementals.html
For non evil dwarf related models I prefer the Demonworld range by RalPartha. http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/

If you join the "15mm Fantasy Gaming" on Facebook there is a long list of 15mm ranges/reseller available.

Terrain
Usually we set up a table that we think looks good and then rolls to see what mission we will play. But for a more competitive game I recommend having a look at Epic Dwarf’s Map Packs. http://www.epicdwarf.com/

There are several manufacturers of great terrain out there. But Dragonfrog Games is a favourite of mine for the Tjublings. I can recommend their sets a lot. https://www.dragonfroggames.co.uk/store/index.php?page=15mm-laser-cut-mdf-buildings

Links
General KoW https://dash28.org/
15mm Fantasy Gaming on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/793036964069317/

Podcasts
Counter Charage http://www.ohiohammer.com/
Epic Dwarf http://giantdwarf.podbean.com/?source=pb
The Beer Phase https://thebeerphase.podbean.com/
Unplugged Radio https://www.unplu33edradio.com/episodes

Here are some photos of our last battle, a small battle of Tjublings vs some of the last Free Dwarves.

Here is a bigger battle about 3000pts Id say, Goblins vs Free Dwarfs.

Vanguard is a skirmish set for night raids, scouting forces or minor clashes before the main battle using Kings of War.

Resources avaliable from Mantic
The main rulebook for Kings of War 2.0. This it what you will want once you have tried out the free rules. It contains all the rules explained, a bit of lore and army lists for: Forces of the Abyss, Forces of Nature, Undead, Dwarfs, Elves, Abyssal Dwarfs, Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, Basileans and the Kingdoms of Men.

Uncharted Empires, contains army lists for: The Brotherhood, Salamander Armies, The Herd, The League of Rhordia, The Trident Realms of Neritica, The Empire of Dust, Night-Stalker Armies, Ratkin Armies and the Varangur. As well as some background for each faction and some "new" army wide faction rules.

Clash of Kings 2019. Contains the rules and scenarios for Siege games. KoW balance updates, "new" units, Living Legends and Formations for all armies. New/updates spells and artifacts. As well as the introduction ofLegendary spells and new/updated competitive scenarios for 2019.

Clash of Kings 2018 Note that this book is considered obsolete with CoK19 rulewise Contains the  conclusion to the Edge of the Abyss campaign, new maps and lore. "New" units and Living Legends from the Edge of the Abyss campaign, as well as formations for all armies currently without. 2018 updates for spells and items as well as 2018 versions of the competitive scenarios.

Clash of Kings 2017 Note that this book is considered obsolete with CoK19 rulewise. This was the first CoK and focused a lot on how to organize a tournament and a league. There are some good ideas on how to grow your games, as well as a Experience system for your units and characters. Thoughts about terrain in a tournament. And ideas/guidelines for creating your own units in Kings of War.
And of course updates for the 2017 meta with, characters, units etc.

KoW Battlefield Cards. These are fun and my group tends to use it alot for casual games. As longs as you agree on forehand you can use some of the rules/cards for normal CoK missions as well. "Objectives" these cards more or less lets you design your own missions by drawing cards and choosing a primary objective for the battle as well as a secondary objective reviled during the course of the battle. Also include "Battlefield Conditions" which can have none or a big impact on the battle, fog, rain etc. "Strategy" gives you small hand of cards which can be played for effects during the battle to tweak the course.

Edge of the Abyss. Mantics first global campaign that run during summer/autumn of 2017. Mantic used the outcome of this campaign when they progressed their lore for the game. The campaign ended with overall "good" victories except in a few areas which brought the Nightstalkers to have bigger impact, flooding the Abyss, forced the free dwarves to flee unto the dwarven empire etc.
EofA Campaign brought formations, scenarios as well as Living legends for most armies. All of which are collected in the latest CoK.

The Destiny of Kings - Kings of War Campaign Supplement. Contains different ways/ideas how to structure and set up your own campaigns as well as "The Quest of the Necromancer Campaign". Some senarios include Mantics Dungeon Saga, they could pretty easily be translated be played with Vanguard instead.

Kings of War - Historical. This is not a historical war-game as much as a way to expand your setting and include Historical armies if you want to. For example the Romans have a generic roman feel to the army rather than correct fromations for all the specific time periods of the Roman Empire. That said, of you ever wanted to field Romans vs Goblins etc this is a fun book. Also contains some interesting rule concepts/ideas for your games like "skirmishers" and "up hill charges" and a few scenarios etc. There is also a list for "mythical" creatures to be used with the historical armies.

Hellfire and Stone. H&S is a narrative campaign for Kings of War 1, featuring an epic conflict between Dwarfs and Abyssal Dwarfs. As well as six scenarios that link up the story of the campaign, Living Legends etc.
Thought this campaign is set for the first version of KoW its easily adopted for KoW2, since its a campaign I guess its mostly interesting for players who have a more narrative approach to the game and want to refight that conflict.

Vanguard. Even they the basic Vanguard rules are free, you will eventually want to get the full advanced rules.
These will let you play out the actions taking place before the main battles. Be it plundering an enemy camp, burning their stores, opening a portal, stealing information or assassination of an enemy commander etc.
This book includes all of the core rules for playing Vanguard, including unit entries, scenarios, campaign system, advanced spells and abilities, and rules for tying your games into Kings of War.
Be aware though that Vanguard is a "living game" with new units added every now and then. Rules for these new models/factions are available with the models OR FREE AT Easy Army Vanguard.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:57:40 AM by tjub »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »
Hah!

Swedish pun is best pun! Yr i mössan indeed!

Lovely work, it's really, really good!

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
Hah!

Swedish pun is best pun! Yr i mössan indeed!

Lovely work, it's really, really good!
Hehe, indeed. :D Thanks!

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2019, 05:34:58 AM »
These Tjublings are ready to crack some bones...  :D

Did a simple basing tutorial for my army. Useful for smaller scales with models tightly based on unit bases etc.

• Use dreml to drill and glue a supermagnet into the 2mm MDF base. Useful for easy storage on a metal/magnet sheet.
  • Glue model to the base and paint the border black.
  • Coat the base with PVA/Wood glue.
  • Flock with Woodland Senics Blended Turf, Green Blend T9
  • Once dry remove excess flock and soak the flock in watered down PVA/Wood Glue (3/1 or like milk)
  • Flock again with WS Blended Turf, Green Blend T9
  • When dry remove excess flock and superglue clumps of WS Foliage Clusters. Light Green FC57 and Medium Green FC58.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:39:23 AM by tjub »

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
Been painting up some of the terrain I bought from Dragonfrog Games. Bought one each of their 15mm MDF sets for the Dwarf-line and Ziggurats, that resulted in a smaller city. So this is just a first batch. :D
The sets over all need some extra detail, but that's to be expected given material and price. So I'll probably add some stuff to them later on. But really satisfied over all with them and how they paint up. Black base and a few dry-brushes of grey. If someone is looking for 15mm Tjubling/Dwarf terrain I recommend giving this range a look!
The square buildings are fully modular so it can be build as either several smaller houses or towers etc, really nifty. :hat off

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »
Lovely terrain, very appropriate!

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
The Tjubgob "Storm dancer cannon" was originally designed as a cruel joke by the Tjubling masters. But it soon became evident to them that the Tjubgobs viewed it as a blessing to be touched by the Storm Demon himself. The Tjubgob Shamen tell stories of great honor, but the actuall dancer seldom survives long enough to tell his story about the encounter...  o_o

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:37:18 AM by tjub »

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 05:15:59 AM »
15mm Hobgoblin/Tjubgob Thunderhorn.
"Communication is everything to the efficiency of a Tjubgob horde. Their best Warchiefs have always been those able to quickly convey orders and scout reports where they are needed. Whistling arrows and couriers riding with several Wargs to change between are part of this apparatus. One peculiar device of communication is the Thunder Horns, whose noise may be enchanted in strange ways by Tjubgob Shamen for battlefield duty. Thunder Horns instil some semblance of bravery into the craven hearts of Tjubgob warriors, while enemies shiver at their mighty din."

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:01 AM »
Oh those new hobgobbos are just too good! Any idea when they will be available in the shop?

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks!

I know Admiralty Miniatures found a new caster on the continent due to "Brexit thing" so hopefully we'll see most of the sculpts out during summer or so. If you mean just the Hobgobs Ive sent the first batch to the caster, so hopefully in a few months? Or when they pop up here with some paint on, Im really looking forward to expand the army with some green skinned meatshields! :D

But Ill let you know here as well as soon as they are available! For more direct info from Admiralty Miniatures you can follow them on FB. https://www.facebook.com/AdmiraltyMiniatures/

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
Did some tiny imps to go with the Hobgoblins/Tjubgobs for Admiralty Miniatures, 6-8mm to eye. Ral Parthas Demonworld human and AABattery for scale.

Ral Parthas Demonworld human for scale.