Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 04:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1263857
  • Total Topics: 89330
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1030
  • (October 30, 2018, 09:02:27 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HELP TO ID THIS PLEASE FOLKS?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: HELP TO ID THIS PLEASE FOLKS?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
I'm with UVS, there's nothing improvised about it. Compared to all the other vehicles produced at the time, that looks designed and purpose built to be what it is.

The 'home made' stuff and even the Beaverette, Morris Scouts and other factory-made vehicles, look like the armour was just bolted on.

Offline zebcook

• librarian
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
There's another view of the thing right around the 29 second mark of this newsreel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4UhYQpuGs

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
 lol watched that yesterday sneezed at exactly that point and totally miss the damned thing! Had absolutely no idea it was there ;D

It definitely looks like its influenced by the Iornside. Which is understandable .You'd have seen them charging around London. If its good enough for the King!
It was a private purchase so its not necessarily an actual military issued varriant.The build quality may simply be reflective of the units wealth. They individually privately purchased Thompson's. If I remember correctly they were the only unit that could field entirely with sub machine guns.
Although that circular view port does have a slighty plywood look to it ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
We are all idiots ;D
There's actually an American re enactment group.For the Home Guard 1st American motorized squadron. They've got a Facebook page. (Don't have the evil thing myself.)
So if you do that might be the place to find out. lol

Offline SABOT

• mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
Cheers everybody.

So far I have determined it was made by General Motors. I think Canadian influence plays a part  - can see the later Canadian produced armoured car design fluency.
Mercian Miniatures Figure Painting Service Now Available. See Face Book for details etc.

Offline Arlequín

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »
It was a private purchase so its not necessarily an actual military issued varriant.The build quality may simply be reflective of the units wealth. They individually privately purchased Thompson's. If I remember correctly they were the only unit that could field entirely with sub machine guns.
Although that circular view port does have a slighty plywood look to it ;)

The Thompsons would have come from the U.S. via Canada, the armoured car likely from Canada too, it doesn't look American; not fancy enough.

The news reels show the rank and file with Winchester 1907 self-loaders, which were possibly left over from a RFC purchase in the Great War. American volunteers carrying American guns must have raised some eyebrows in both the U.S. and Germany, which was probably the idea in any case.

Offline SABOT

• mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »
I think so. This small unit was definitely flying the flag.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
I've given in ;D. I found an email address for the living history group. My be they can put you on the right track.
Now Simon has found the Improvised Morris .I spent last night looking at pictures of Humber lights and Iornsides ;)

Offline SABOT

• mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Terrific mate! Nobody else makes them and I keep nudging Simon  and Michael gently with my bayonet too. 😁

Offline zebcook

• librarian
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:18 AM »
I'm wondering if it's a preproduction variant of an Otter or a CT15A. First Otter prototype was supposed to be about 1941.

Offline MartinR

• scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
The front wheels in the OP look distinctly "American", could it be based on a US truck chassis or even an uparmoured White Scout Car? The Humber Otoh has very British wheels.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
The idea of truck chassis is a sound one. There's some issues with reworking existing military vehicles. Why? If ant broke don't fix it. You'd have to buy then convert more time more money in a time when both were in short supply. Who in they're right mind would take a sinlge commission vehicle away from the hassle and pressure of meeting a war time military quotas?
Privately purchased doesnt necessarily imported. The shape(if not the detailing) is an already established Home guard template.
Also this unit was made up of engineers bankers and import and export officials. So its a doddle to source and build. The American influenced design is a no brainer.
Its an interesting topic and for me picking apart the whole process is intriguing.

Offline SABOT

• mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
Cracking posts from the lads above. Thanks.

Yes, I am finding it very interesting and have gone down a route of discovery that I never thought would interest me. Happy days. 👍