Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: non-human "civilised soldiers"  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Patrick R

• Bookworm
non-human "civilised soldiers"
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
Looking for Hobgoblins figures for my campaign, I could get away with existing historical plastics or some fantasy, but I need corresponding heads or failing in that a good suggestion for suitable figures.  Suggestions ?

They should be organized, with well-made armour and gear, uniform in organisation, but clearly not human.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: non-human "civilised soldiers"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
Looking for Hobgoblins figures for my campaign, I could get away with existing historical plastics or some fantasy, but I need corresponding heads or failing in that a good suggestion for suitable figures.  Suggestions ?

They should be organized, with well-made armour and gear, uniform in organisation, but clearly not human.

Reaper Bones make some cheap hobgoblins, but there are only four, I think (the first two items on this page):

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Hobgoblin

The Ganesha hobgoblins from Alternative Armies (scroll down) would fit in pretty well with the Reaper ones, I think. They're fiddly and mulitpart, but the fact that the troopers are based around the same body gives them a certain uniformity. And the hyaenodon cavalry are quite nice.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/ganesha-games-miniatures

A cheap option would be to get some second-hand GW LotR orcs from eBay and paint them with a less grubby colour scheme. I did this with some (below) a while back. I also have some of the Morannon orcs, which I was planning to use as hobgoblins (I painted one or two in red armour, but have no photo to hand, alas). The Isengard Uruk-hai would also be good - and are more uniform. And there are wolfriders and hyena-ish-thing riders too.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »
What about one of the many frostgrave/gripping beast/fireforge plastic ranges with alternative heads? Maybe use the Oathmark goblin heads on Fireforge medieval Russians for example? It might be worth trying to get some single sprues to try this out before committing to a full box set?

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
This is a regular concern for me, as I need orcs which don't look traditionally 'Orcy' i.e. they should be well-equipped, upright, not too savage looking, etc.

I've converted some horse-riding orcs (why use boars/wolves when horses are easier?!) using plastic arab cavalry and parts from the old wargames-factory orc sprues. I haven't painted them yet...

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
I'd suggest the old grenadier miniature half orcs - now in production with mirliton.

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-orc

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:27:32 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
I've seen people combine Warlord EIR Romans with Oathmark Dwarf heads, so I imagine Oathmark Goblins heads could work too. I think it was in the Dragon Rampant facebook group.

The Dwarf heads and roman bodies looked good, very regimented.

Frostgrave Gnoll head might work, if their heads connect to the body like the Oathmark miniatures do.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
It's perhaps worth noting that the Oathmark goblins (and Frostgrave gnolls) have heads that connect horizontally to the torsos rather than vertically as with the other figures in their range. So they're not immediately compatible without a bit of cutting and filling.

The Wargames Factory orcs are similar, but the male/female socketry's the other way round (so a quicker fix).

The orc heads from GW's The Hobbit wolfriders (as in my post above) do go well onto human bodies from various manufacturers, though, as they attach vertically. I've used them as half-orc men-at-arms on Perry foot-knight bodies, for example. You get quite a few spare heads on those sprues too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
It's perhaps worth noting that the Oathmark goblins (and Frostgrave gnolls) have heads that connect horizontally to the torsos rather than vertically as with the other figures in their range. So they're not immediately compatible without a bit of cutting and filling.

Ah … I see the problem.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
Having a few internet problems here so I can't post a link, but Mirliton Eastern Hobgoblins  are only semi-wild looking and Alternative Armies also have more civilised Hobs.
Renegade miniatures orcs have a more uniform look (depending on what you think a hogoblin should look like).

If you want more upright goblin/orc type figures, I have used Oathmark goblin heads on Gripping Beast plastic Vikings - sadly no pictures and I have done a bit of converting to place the heads forward rather than sitting on top of the neck)  If you want a more civilised look you could use the Saxon bodies or even Firforge .

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
There’s also the Otherworld hobgoblins - depending on budget - those are very uniformed and militaristic.

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/product-category/humanoid-tribes/page/3/

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »

Seen a pic  in the internet of fireforge steppe infantry with goblinoid head and feet.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »
If you want more upright goblin/orc type figures, I have used Oathmark goblin heads on Gripping Beast plastic Vikings - sadly no pictures and I have done a bit of converting to place the heads forward rather than sitting on top of the neck)

I'd quite forgotten I'd done that too. Here's a pic. The goblin heads work much better on Gripping Beast bodies because they have a neck stump rather than a socket (as with Perry, etc). Also, here's the GB one against an actual Oathmark goblin and a couple of (unfinished) GW Morannon orcs. They're all compatible in size, though the Oathmark bodies are a bit ragged and irregular-looking, perhaps.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:07:55 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »

I have some goblins, but they're hiding unassembled in the back of the closet. They should be easy to get onto Fireforge bodies in general though, as they have a slightly protruding neck.

From sticking Fireforge heads onto Perry bodies, horizontally connnecting heads can be fitted onto flatnecked bodies with a small lump of green stuff and some flattening, no real sculpting required.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
That goblin spear-man is very effective, I may just have to try that...

Thanks for the suggestions, although it's not my thread it's a topic of great interest!

I have got some of the AA (well, Ganesha) hobgoblins somewhere to be assembled.

For heavily armoured orcs I'm using Kustoss orcs, long OOP. They're perhaps not the best figures around but they're pretty unique. Also turns out some were sculpted by Kev White which perhaps explains why I like them (he's a favourite of mine).

Will dig out some pics later.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Just remembered to update this - here's an example of a Kustoss armoured orc who doesn't have quite the usual orcish vibe.