Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vikings! (and a finished half-timbered house)  (Read 1361 times)

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Vikings! (and a finished half-timbered house)
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
Bonjour,

I had an earlier thread featuring a scratch-built half-timbered house, and since I've just finished painting 15 Foundry Vikings, I thought I'd throw in the finished house as a background. You may also recognize the Games Workshop trees with their funky flat dishes of leaves. I'm not real happy with the leaf effect, they look OK when viewed from above (a typical gaming table view) but look really weird when viewed from the side or even slightly below.

Here's Olaf, Sven and Lars, just coming out after a few too many steins of beer.

Later, a group of archers, with the Jarl standing by, come through the woods to chase off some pesky Saxons who thought they'd drain a keg or two. How wrong they were!

After the Saxons get sent packing, the archers' captain, Bjorn, bargains with Sigmund, the innkeeper, for lower prices on the next keg.

Bjorn, Sven and Harald look on with dismay as one of the kegs they've paid for bursts open as it's being loaded onto their wagon.

Now all they need is a nice, pre-owned longship to take them raiding. But that'll be another project.

BTW, has anyone done a scratchbuilt waterline model longship? I've got the Revell 1/50 scale plastic longship, and am toying with theidea of whacking it off at the waterline, or just building it as is and using it as a model for a scratchbuilt waterline version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:24:48 PM by PhilB »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
Re: Vikings! (and a finished half-timbered house)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
That's nicely painted stuff, phil.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
All (Minies, building, trees,pictures) is excellent ! Bravo  :-*

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
That house is a very nice build, and you just reminded me to get that half-naked git with the big hammer to use him as Thor for OGAM (too many projects, I get side-tracked all the time...)!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
Thanks, y'all!

The house was a real learning experience, with a few major problems. Like running the chimney up the middle, only to belatedly realize that the ridge beam of the roof went right through the middle of it. Or the fact that in real life, the outer framing of a half-timbered house are flush with the filler material (mud & wattle, brick & mortar, etc) rather than protruding, as in my first attempt. Next time round, I'll fill the framing with something prior to painting.

I'm still pondering whether I should do shutters for the upper windows.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:53:22 PM by PhilB »