Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Republic of Baja California: A Spectre Operations Imagination  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
The Republic of Baja California: A Spectre Operations Imagination
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »

History

The Republic of Baja California traces its history back to the Mexican Revolution of the 1910s when in 1912 a group of revolutionaries lead by the to-be founder of the Republic Fernando Pedro Tapia seized the population centers of Mexicali and Tijuana in the northern parts of the peninsula. Declaring their own revolutionary government with a liberal agenda they quickly went to secure the border to mainland Mexico by cutting off railways and bridges crossing the Colorado River. As the country was in turmoil this new republic was left largely uncontested with only irregular conflict along the new border while local Mexican governments and forces were dismantled throughout the peninsula.

The Republic of Baja California declared itself independent from Mexico in 1914 and signed its own constitution with Fernando Tapia sworn in as the country’s first president and the capital Mexicali renamed Tapia City in his honor. The new republic’s conflict with Mexico continued until 1918 when in the wake of the signing of the Constitution of Mexico the two nations agreed on a ceasefire as they both recovered from the revolution. It is generally thought today that the Bajan forces were receiving indirect support by the United States during the period, who were hoping to annex the peninsula.

During the 1920s the republic grew politically close with the United States through a series of trade deals concerning their rich mining operations in the south and through their military cooperation as the United States helped train and equip the Baja California Armed Forces as well as give the republic international recognition. A period of relative peace followed as the two countries grew closer but conflict would return to the republic in the mid 1940s. A group of militant revolutionaries calling themselves Ejército de Unificación Mexicano (EUM) who wished for the country to once again became part of Mexico grew more violent in the southern regions of the peninsula. A series of attacks on government officials during the period of 1949 to 1951 was the start of a bloody domestic conflict  which saw the democratic values the country once had treasured to slide back in the face of danger and internal strife. The relationship to the United States also came under strain as political groups resenting the States’ influence upon the country started to grow in popularity and these two things came to a violent cumulation in 1967 when General Raul Arista lead a military coup which replaced much of the government and installed himself as president before severing most all political connections with the United States and reshaping the republic into a military dictatorship as he lead a series of ruthless attacks against the EUM and their sympathisers.

As tensions rose with the United States and the UN Arista turned to the USSR, fearing military action as had been tried in Cuba in 1961 and began to receive funding and aid to secure his hold on the nation’s military. In the wake of this more laws began to change towards a more communist spirit in accordance with the wishes of Arista’s benefactors and the Baja California Armed Forces were brought into the modern age with equipment and training provided to them from Cuba and the Soviet Union. In the wake of this Baja California grew to become a hotspot during the duration of the Cold War, a nation sharing a border with the United States with communist affiliations making it of interest to both world powers. Espionage became rife within the country and corruption become more commonplace within various levels of government as Arista balanced on a knife’s edge to not commit fully to the USSR to avoid military conflict with the United States while needing the communist support to stay in power.

During the following decades a number of politically charged incidents took place in the republic as a shadow war was waged on Californian soil regularly between the United States and the Soviet Union. In 1983 Raul Artista was assassinated by an unknown perpetrator, the identity of which remains a controversial subject to this day with the EUM, USA and Mexico all popular candidates. Arista was replaced by one of his lieutenant generals going by the name of Pedro Diaz Pezuela. Pezuela would prove to not have the political acumen of his predecessor and lacked popularity among the nation’s elite and the upper echelons of the international communist movement. What followed was a decade of rampant corruption and crime as the Pezuela regime proved unable to control its own people, most notably this is the period where the dominant cartels in Baja California trace their origins too. It was also during this period that a new group of democratically minded revolutionaries calling themselves Partido Demócrata Baja (PDB) started to grow in influence challenging the weakened hold the Pezuela regime had on the country.

Irregular violent conflict would grow to become the hallmark of Pezuela’s time in power and while generally considered incompetent it wasn’t until the wake of the Soviet Union’s collapse in 1991 that his grasp on power would weakened leading to him being deposed in 1992 by the PDB who then with the backing of the United States and other nations in the western world called for free elections. Pedro Pezuela was sentenced to death by the new government but infamously escaped by the aid of a large section of the former armed forces and vanished into the mountains of the south from where a militant faction calling themselves Ejército Nacional (EN) wage a guerilla war seeking to return the General to power.

Since 1992 Baja California has been in the slow process of becoming a truly democratic nation. Yet the government is considered weak in the face of the many violent factions that persists within the nation’s borders. Most famously to the world are the bombing that took place in Tapia City and Tijuana in 2007 said to have been the work of the EN, in the wake of which a UN Peacekeeping Force has been deployed in the two cities ever since. The relationship with the United States has become a closer one too since the revolution of 1992 and has seen to the training and equipping of the new Baja California Armed Forces and has joined with both the United States and Mexico in the War on Drugs to try and combat the activities of the cartels.

Since the mid 2000s parts of the northern peninsula and the mining operations in the south have been declared a special economic zone in an attempt to boost the nation’s economy and has seen a number of business conglomerates from around the world gather there due to the beneficial laws passed in regards to the area.

Present Day

The Republic of Baja California is generally considered an unstable nation and has the highest violent crime rate in North America. Several dangerous militant factions remain active in the country, attacks upon private and state interests occur on a weekly basis and there are regions where the government simply is not capable of enforcing the law.

In the south the Ejército de Unificación Mexicano remains active to this day, most often targeting the mining operations which is one of the nation’s main industries as they defy both the Baja Californian government as well as the foreign interests that has settled there in the wake of the area becoming a special economic zone. The La Paz cartel which is one of the two largest in the country also mainly operate in the south. It is also generally believed that the EN partially operates out of the mountain ranges in the south.

The majority of the population still lives in the northern parts of the peninsula and this is the main area for industry into Mexico and the United States. Tapia City remains the capital and largest city in the country and it is out of it that the Baja Cartel largely operates, having grown to rival their mexican counterparts in the drug trade into the United States.

In recent years a number of local towns has begun to create their own militias in either protest to local law enforcement or due to the lack of it. These armed groups have on several occasions come into conflict with both the cartels and governmental forces who are often viewed with suspicion as corruption remains a large problem in the country.

Factions

National Forces

Baja Armed Forces (BAF)
BAF is the official military of the Republic of Baja California and saw reform in the wake of the 1992 revolution, they are under constant severe scrutiny by the goverment. The majority of the army is still equipped with Cold War-era soviet weaponry, with some of their special forces having been supplied with equipment by the United States.

Baja Special Police (BSP)
The BSP is a paramilitary law enforcement organisation which was created after the military was forbidden from acting against the civilian population after the 1992 revolution. Trained by US and Mexican law enforcement they are the Baja goverments main tool against the cartels.

Baja Police (BP)
The local police in Baja is known for its corruption, many of them on the books of the cartels, sympathizers with the EN or EUM. Generally poorly trained and equipped, with an exception generally believed to be the police departments in Tapia City and Tijuana.

Foreign Forces

Mexican Naval Infantry Force
The infantry of the Mexican Navy has had a long history with Baja around the Gulf of California. Since 2010 they have on occasional been seen in Baja taking part in anti-cartel actions linked to both Baja and Mexico.

US Military
The United States military is officially present in Baja mainly to instruct during the reforms of their Armed Forces. On occasion they have been seen working together with Baja forces against the local rebel and criminal groups. It is confirmed the US Special Forces are present in Baja.

UN Peacekeeping Force
The UN have been present in Baja from 2007 when after a series of bombings and attacks in Tapia City and La Paz by the EN. The force today is said to be in the low hundreds and consists mainly of United States, United Kingdoms and Russian troops.camo

Irregular Forces

Ejército de Unificación Mexicano (EUM)
The Mexican Unification Army is a rebel group in Baja which has a history back to the early 20th century. Mainly operating in the southern peninsula which is historically closer tied to Mexico than the north they have become known for attacks on the mining operations which are a big factor in the national economy. Rumors remain that they are supported by Mexican interests.

Ejército Nacional (EN)
The National Army is a rebel group which was formed when the military dictator Pedro Diaz Pezuela escaped execution after having been deposed in 1992. A section of the Baja Armed Forces defected with the General and have been trying to set up the circumstance for a return to power ever since. It is rumored the EN is supported by interests in Russia and Cuba.

Local Militia
Local communities have started to create their own militias to protect themselves as the violence in Baja continues. These groups are extremely varied in their equipment and goals but generally keeps a distrust for the state and have been known to attack police and other goverment officials who they deem corrupt.

Intelligence

SVR
It is generally believed SVR remain in Baja following their long history with the KGB, although now against the goverment's approval. Of interest due to their close proximity to the United States, it is a common conspiracy theory that the SVR are in contact with the National Army to overthrow the democratic goverment.

CIA
The CIA are known to be present in Baja as part of their work against the drug cartels. So far they have remained outside the eye of the public and little is known about their operations in the country.

Corporate

The Argo Corporation
Argo was drawn to Baja during the creation of the special economic zones in 2008 and has since then also expanded into mining operations in the south. Following attacks by the EN their security has been increased and it is believed they look to expand further.

Verified Security (VS)
A scecurity company centered around the Americas with Baja California as one of their main regions. Mainly consists of former military from Canada, Mexico and the United States.

Crime

Baja Cartel
The largest cartel in Baja it was founded in Tapia City in the 1990s following the death of Artista seizing initative during the unstable years following the dictator's death. Their operations include drug, arms and human trafficking as well as kidnapping and extortion and has expended into Mexico and the US. Currently lead by Carlos Martin Méndez.

La Paz Cartel
The second largest cartel in Baja, founded in La Paz in the 1990s. Set in the more sparsely populated southern part of Baja they are known for their smuggling into Mexico and the US via the sea. Their leader was killed last year and thus far it is unknown who leads the cartel now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:23:13 PM by Olsson »

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: The Republic of Baja California: An Spectre Operations Imagination
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »
The Republic of Baja California is the setting for my dive into the modern era section of wargaming, largely inspired by the Spectre Operations rules, miniatures and my reading of ChargeDog's Adventures in Bazistan work which made me intrested in the imagination narrative.

I've chosen to work with a North American alternative history version of Mexico because I liked the challenge of trying to set it apart from the usual settings of the Middle East and North Africa while still maintaing many of the intresting narrative aspects of the inner conflicts and international hotbeds of unstable nations. Although I'll admit it does not give the same freedoms in regards to some heavier duty military equipment so far atleast. I'll mostly be trying to keep this thread up and running to try and motivate myself to continue the work as I, like many other hobbyists suffer from inspiration at times being fleeting and welcome any comments and critique on what I am doing.

So for a start is my most recent cartel man, also my first attempt at painting some manner of camouflage. I feel it went pretty alright although some parts of the pants became a bit mono-coloured compared to others.

The biggest challenge ahead so far to me feels like it is trying to gather enough fitting terrain for the modern era and the setting I've chosen as I have mostly worked with the Games Workshop gamelines in the last.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
Pretty cool. I would add China because of their love of special economic zones and high interest loans
To developing nations.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Great start! I love the use of the North American setting as whilst I understand the use of the middle east and African settings they do seem to be over done. Personally I try to stay away from the heavy duty equipment as they often seem out of place on the game board. When it comes to terrain I found the best place to look was ebay the mdf stuff is inexpensive and can easily be improved upon over time. Keep it up!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:27:57 AM »
Sounds like fun!

Don't forget the mariachi band assassins.

It's unknown what their motives are, or who they really work for (taken from today's news - yes, they are a real thing - Mexico is crazy).

Doubt I will ever look at a mariachi band the same way again, after hearing about that.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
Armed Robbery in Baja California Sur

In a statement released by the Cato Inc. it has been revealed that earlier this week they suffered a major setback as a transport of copper was stolen by a group of armed men. Cato Inc. reports that their security exchanged fire with the robbers and two of their employees were wounded and sent to the hospital although none were killed in the firefight.

This marks the fifth time this year mining operations in the area have suffered at the hands of armed criminals, it is widely believed to be connected to The Mexican Unification Army who have a history of similar acts to fund their anti-goverment cause. In response to this several of the companies in the area such as Cato Inc. The Argo Corporations and Baja Minerals have put more security in place and have been harsher against the local populance. This sparked controversy back in August after it was reported that the security contracted Verified Security had been involved in a murder during the course of their investigations into an attack upon Baja Minerals' operations.

The Baja Federal Police so far claim that no connection has been established between the robberies.

Slowly still working on painting up my cartel/militia members for an upcoming scenario I will be trying to play and hopefully report on based on the events mentioned above. I also grew much too tempted by the recent sale over at Spectre Operations and put in an order that arrived today. Beyond this I have been sneaking around Mexico on Google Earth as well as researching pictures to try and get a proper idea of the type of architecture and buildings I should aim for with my terrain.

I picked up the MENA Regular Forces which I may try and use for The National Army, their more basic gear and AK-platform working pretty well with the premise of military defector rebels largely using late Soviet Cold War-era equipment.

The SAS Response Squad was also acquired, although it seems I already had their sniper so I've a double of those now, although that can never hurt. Unsure what exactly I will use them for, likely some form of western power's presence there as part of the efforts to fight the cartels and rebel factions with the aim to stablise the country.

The Insurgent Kill Team I am unsure exactly what I will use them as, although both professional cartel hit squads and National Army forces does not seem too far fetched.

Green Beret Jungle Ops Team painted up in civilain colours I think will make for excellent PMC or other security teams.

Some civilian miniatures together with the banker and close-protection agents added in too for some fun scenario play.

My little line up for the painting so far this week. Not entierly content with the bases, will see if I figure out something I like more.

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
The people of Ukuechana whish all the best for the people of  Baja California.

Cracking looking country and I can't wait to see more.

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
Yeah! Baja California is back!

Looking forward to whats coming up!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »
If you're looking at doing some internal security forces, a modernised M8 Greyhound could have potential. Those Tamiya kits are easy enough to pick up.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »
Gonna look at the M8 Greyhounds, look cool and will eventuelly want to look into adding some vehicles for this project. Speaking of vehicles which scale do people tend to shoot for with theirs? Been having a look around the local toy stores on the hunt for a truck with a trailer for the grand theft mentioned above.

The cartel and insurgent forces keep growing, counting 14 Assault Rifles, 2 LMGs, 2 Grenadier and 1 DMR so far.

There's also been some construction or atleast very early attempts at it. Been spending too much time watching TheTerrainTutor (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor/videos) channel over at youtube for ideas recently, as well as looking over the great projects over at Makatashi's tea house. (https://www.matakishi.net/). So I spend some money today on supplies and did a rough whimsical try at my very first home made piece of terrain, just a simple box building.

Did not quite manage to get the windows symmetrical, but perhaps there's a lack of good architects down in Baja California. Gonna try and finish it regardless flaws and all before heading onto another thing. Working with cork was a bit different than I had thought but not bad, but gonna try a few different ones to see what I prefer to carve away at.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »
Above pictured box mostly done with some miniatures on it and on a desert board.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
For 28mm moderns the standard seems to be 1/50th - 1/48th. With Empress, Spectre Miniatures and Special Artizan Services miniatures offering the breadth of vehicles for the moment. Out of those you'd probably want to be looking at Spectre - for technicals, a Humvee and civilian vehicles - and SASM - civilian vehicles, plus American military and security. Empress' vehicles don't really cover Mexican vehicles that well, and what they do have the other companies do better.

I made a Narco Tank a while back, that wouldn't be too difficult to replicate. Just a box on wheels really. Find a cheap 1/48th truck kit or diecast and you could make a couple for scenarios - though regular pickup trucks with MGs (which Spectre should cover) are probably more common these days from what I've seen.

I believe that Spectre are also expanding their Narco range at some point in the future. And if you want to do Mexican military or police you could just use US military figures, or any one of those three company's special forces figures.

Mind there's a terrain companies thread in the Post Apocalyptic board that has links to loads of manufacturers of architectural details and furniture if you're making terrain, as those little bits go a ways to making your stuff more convincing. Some balsa wood window frames would do for those windows, along with some balsa strips adding details like window frames and runners for that bit more detail.

With a building like that I'd use plasticard for the roof rather than cork, as that's going to see the most wear and cork could tear eventually. And buildings aren't as tall as you think, where I find personally that going for shorter ones looks more realistic (most of the terrain I originally started with was closer to 35mm scaled than 28mm. A figure's base doesn't have to fit through a doorway for instance).

You could churn out a load of those clay buildings, add in some basic details - windows/ air con units/ the remains of furniture - and make an abandoned town with a drug lab or weapons cache in one of them (or a set of trailers that've been parked up in this out of the way location for off the grid crime). Antenocitis Workshop does 1/43rd scale cars that would suit as well. Though if you're making any sort of board with buildings I'd recommend investing in some walls and fences, as they're an easy way to have cover and make things look a bit more realistic (Renedra do a cheap set, or there's Empress' set too).

Oh, and some random goats would help establish the setting too. :)

Anyway, I'm thread jacking here, carry on with the good work. ;)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: The Republic of Baja California: A Spectre Operations Imagination
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
I have seen they are planning on expanding the narco range over at Spectre yeah, looking forward to seeing what they have in store! As for the scale you're probably right that what I threw together there is too large to be to scale, in general I need to work more on the planning stage in the future as there were a few things that did not go as planned. Will look into adding some more detail though as you say, tiles by the windows and so forth.

As for the cork I am still trying to see where I can get my hands on some materials, not found a good place for plasticard or MDF yet but I am quite new to these types of things so likely I am just not familiar with where to look. Also on the hunt for corrugated for metal roofs and so on.

Threw some paint on the first of the Green Berets miniatures I will be using as PMCs today, pretty happy with it although not I am stuck on how uniform I should make them look. All with the exact same combination of colours on the pants/shirts/cap or mix and match it a bit. Do PMCs usually give out uniforms?

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
Verified Security (VS)

Verified Security is an American company founded in the mid 2000s which provides security and risk management services to various groups throughout the American continents. With their employees largely drafted from military and law enforcement personell from Canada, Mexico, Brazil and the United States.  Today lead by Director Charles Vernon and employing around 2.500 people Verified Security has become a mainstay in the corporate security industry in the Americas and have contracts from as north mining operations in northern Canada to guarding oil reserves in Chile. Historically the company has pursued employment only in the Americas and made a point of the fact that they were the people of the Americas helping protect it although in recent years there has been talk of expanding to the middle east on rumored goverment contracts.

The company did not enter the public consciousness before they were the center of a scandal in Baja California in 2018 after a witnesses reported that employees of the company had murdered a man associated with the rebel faction in the southern region known as the Mexican Unification Army who have been accused as being the group behind a series of attacks upon Baja Minerals' mining operations in the area. No charges were ever put to trial although much of the press point to corruption in the Baja California justice system as the root of this.

With over 400 of their employees stationed in Baja California the region is one of their largest areas of operation and are employed by many of the larger non-native American companies in the country. They largely work as security at various mining sites, factories and other sites of industry but also sees to personal security of company declared VIPs that live in or visit the country. Their crisis management department has also been said to include person retrival and other services in relation to kidnappings which have become more common as the cartels influence rises in the north.

As I was working more on the US Special Forces miniatures from Spectre I was inspired to expand a abit upon Verified Security which I imagine that I will run these guys as among other things.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:54 AM »
When it comes to materials, arts and craft stores tend to have something usable. But if you can find a hardware store or mom and pop shop that don't know what they're selling, they're going to be cheaper. For instance for plasticard you can find the material in say plastic "For Sale" signs, and corrugated paper's common among kid's art supplies (but maybe giving it a coat of glue would help to firm it up).

I mean Amazon and Ebay work too. As would say companies like Evergreen plastics offer the better choices for plasticard, but they tend to be more expensive.

Balsa wood's pretty good at being an easy way to add a bit more detail to terrain. Just buy various sizes and use it for borders, posts, etc and whilst it isn't as good as someone using much more expensive materials, it better than just a flat wall, and more layers than your average laser cut kit offers.

I'd just make a basic cork building with balsa wood supports to give it a bit more rigidity / make building it easier, then stick in the odd bit of furniture/ air con unit (Spectre's got a good set). TT Combat's resin bits are an easy thing to use too.

Anyway...

I like modern figures with those surplussed desert camo gear. It kind of speaks of the conflicts that the West's involved in today, compared to say all the DPM camo that was dumped on the market after the Cold War. That tan furniture on the guns too is a good opportunity to bring older figures (not to say that Spectre's stuff specifically are old, I mean in general) up to a modern standard. And fits a set of operators using civilian sourced gear, rather than stuff that's purely military (I'd imagine that with its proximity to the US that the PMCs there aren't forced to rely on 40 year old Soviet stuff that fell off the back of a truck like they did in Afghanistan. The Cartels are well stocked enough that a civilian contractor with the right contracts could probably source anything).

Which is to say that if you're doing PMCs giving them some beefy looking Jeeps or Pickups would be cool. If you want to go for a video gamey appearance. Rather than just some beat up truck that is. I believe Spectre's releasing another Pickup at some point. SASM do a whole load of armoured cars too (which they could have bought second hand I guess) which'd fit a paramilitary force (those Iveco ones turn up everywhere). Though sticking an actual gun, rather than just a guy in the back with an AR-15, may be a little overkill for the region if they're not wanting to get pulled over by the authorities (though they could just hide it under a tarp, or you could find a figure with a PKM/ other heavier man portable MG/ Anti-Material and use that instead). Though I'd doubt they'd have the same amount of armour or stowage as those used in actual warfare would have.