Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:40:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rise and Fight Again (Over Bunker Hill) AWI Rules from Stand to Games ltd  (Read 541 times)

Offline Shinjoq

• Schoolboy
Had our first game with over bunker hill. We had a simple game of three brigades, each 3 battalions and 1 gun battery each. We played it to conclusion at the club in 21/2 hours.

The system set some hard decisions for each player. Excellent system, can’t wait for the ACW ones. One thing we found that helped was to mark units that fired with smoke, so we remembered to do a morale test to move it. We also used markers for wavering units & units on 3FS (a shaken counter) as we use tiny dice for the FS & found we missed those important low FS rating. Plus we placed a broken counter next to a brigade that had managed to stay on after being broken, & when it took one hit we placed a bead on the broken counter to show next hit means the brigade will bugger off.

The guy I played against ( he’s really an ACW gamer & after using these rules is keen to play your ACW ones) was very impressed, he liked the sequence of play as that was far superior to the IGOUGO with all your units. Also the engagement range. This really made you have to make sure you had your guys deployed properly and when you get engaged the units are then very difficult to use other than attack the enemy to the front. Which is what really happened. I liked the having to take a morale test to get a unit mov8ng after it has fired, troops were notoriously diifcult to push forward once they opend fire.

My game mate wants to play them again and we have a game in two weeks time at the club sorted. This time we are having more units and brigades. The comb binding is ideal as you can have the rule book flat, unlike a hardback.

So 5 star rating for the rules for creating a good historical simulation, 5 Star for playabililty, 5 Star everything. One thing I like as I design scenario for our little group is that the FS rating system and being able to represent a unit below or above the ‘standard’, plus the fatigue score board all this allows me to model various units or brigades.

Thinking in ACW terms I could set the fatigue board score to 60% for say the iron brigade to represent its greater staying power etc. Thanks Ady & Quinton for a great set of rules that will give me and my gaming mates a lot of good games.