Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689641
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Xenos Rampant for games in the grimdark  (Read 3065 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Xenos Rampant for games in the grimdark
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
I came across the rules in this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111893.0 and I did't want to highjack it so here a new one concerning my ideas.

I want to use the rules instead of the Warhammer 40k rules for 2 reasons. 1st I already know Dragon Rampant and use them for my medieval/fantasy gaming so I don't have to learn new ones. 2nd I don't really like the Warhammer 40k rules but love the lore and figures. So I want a set of rules that represent more the lore/fluff of the game and I feel this could be it.

So to plug into the heave mind , has anybody tried that before? if so how would you represent the different weapons e.g. Space marines can use?

If you are interested you can find the xenos rampant rules here:
https://richardcowen.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/xenos-rampant-futuristic-wargaming-in-dragon-rampant-v1.pdf
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: Xenos Rampant for games in the grimdark
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »
This is it. Its port of Rampant rules to 40k.
You can play straight from the book. It dosent need anything more :)
My friends are doing it and it works

Playing Rampant styled game you have to agree to certain abstractions.
IMHO its too generic for 40k but it is playable and fun.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
Ok I know that it is more abstract on the other hand it lets you make more tactical decisions and listbuilding,did I say that I hate listbuilding, is not that big an issue as it is with 40k

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
AWu can you tell me which templates are used for wich 40k troops? I mean it is obvious that the elite infantry must be space marines or similar types . But which template would make good orks or chaos troops like nurgel marines?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
AWu can you tell me which templates are used for wich 40k troops? I mean it is obvious that the elite infantry must be space marines or similar types . But which template would make good orks or chaos troops like nurgel marines?

The author suggests Berserk Infantry for Orks. I'd presume that Nurgle marines would also be Elite Infantry.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
Remember this is a game with like 6 profiles.
All Space Marines are Elite Infantry and in sch abstract game they will all be the same..
This is just not kind of game to differentiate giant PA guy from Giant PA guy with the horn and bad smell..

If you want to keep flavor in the rules this is not for you obviously.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
Remember this is a game with like 6 profiles.
All Space Marines are Elite Infantry and in sch abstract game they will all be the same..
This is just not kind of game to differentiate giant PA guy from Giant PA guy with the horn and bad smell..

If you want to keep flavor in the rules this is not for you obviously.

I agree that DR/XR doesn't distinguish between minor details, but you can add quite a bit of variety and flavour to DR/XR units using the fantastical rules in Dragon Rampant.

If we take orks, for example, you could create a pretty vicious close-combat squad by using Bellicose Foot, Venomous and Shiny Armour; that would fit the melee-oriented sort of ork quite nicely. You can add Flying for jump packs too.

Or if you want innaccurate shooters with deadly weapons (e.g. orks with bolt guns), you can give a DR Light or Heavy Missiles unit Venomous for shooting. The lack of the free shoot action will make quite a difference over the course of a game.

And then you can use the magic rules to simulate technology in various DR troop types.

When you add the DR and XR troop types together, you've got a fair range even before you start adding in fantastical rules. Off the top of my head, there are about 18 different unit types available before you consider vehicles - and then lots of fantastical rules and upgrades to modify them. So the total number of possible variations must run into the hundreds.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »
It works quite well..

and sums 40k lack of flavor nicely too.. Most of the armies are really the same :P
Sad Guys in differently colored PA

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »
The author of the rules answered in a similar stance. Just for your info read below. I will try the rules at the weekend and see if I like them . will write up a small report then.

Quote: To be honest, I -wouldn’t- represent the difference between things like lasguns and autoguns. Their effectiveness is roughly similar in-game anyway. I’d hesitate to even mark a difference between lasguns and boltguns; units armed with boltguns are often Reduced Model Units and so their firepower’s disproportionately heavy to the number of guns being fired anyway.
Plasma weapons (and other weapon options) would best be represented by giving a unit possessing them an appropriate upgrade. Plasma weapons are excellent at killing armoured infantry or light vehicles, so the Armour-Piercing upgrade is a good fit. Grenade launchers would also work well as Armour-Piercing, because the frag option is only a slight step up from a lasgun in effectiveness, but a krak grenade hurts a lot more. Flamers and heavy stubbers could both be Squad Support Weapons, since they enhance the anti-personnel capability of the squad significantly.
And then there are combinations of upgrades. Heavier weapons, like heavy bolters and plasma cannons, also fit into the anti-light vehicle and armoured infantry category, and would probably be Armour-Piercing Squad Support Weapons.
Lascannons and multi-meltas are pretty straight-forward – Anti-Tank all the way.
One of the key things to remember is that Dragon Rampant and Warhammer 40,000 are very different games with very different base assumptions.
Sometimes it seems like 40k still thinks it’s the skirmish game it was in the Rogue Trader/early 2nd Ed era, despite having been a mass battle game since at least the start of 3rd Ed (I’ll admit I’ve never played 8th Ed). Each squad member is still treated as an individual character with a life of their own. Each model moves, fights and dies individually, even if each subsequent edition has tried to make combat resolution for large numbers of models more streamlined. The same can be said about Warhammer and Age of Sigmar, so it seems to be a Games Workshop quirk. Even 1st and 2nd Edition Epic treated each vehicle and stand of troops as an independent entity (although Epic 40,000 moved away from that a little with its Firepower rules).
Oddly enough, Dragon Rampant’s focus on units as the smallest entity is more fitting for a mass battle game than GW’s every-model-is-sacred approach. Rampant, along with actual mass battle games like Mantic’s Warpath and Kings of War, or various Warlord historical rule sets, have units as the smallest entity on the battlefield. In that kind of ruleset, it doesn’t matter if the sergeant of a squad of Imperial Guard has a bolt pistol and chainsword instead of a boltgun, because although it makes a big difference as to how he fights, it doesn’t impact on the squad that massively, so its not worth spending points on. However, if the squad has a pair of special and heavy weapons that complement each other, and maybe the sergeant’s weapon option complements them as well (e.g. plasma gun and heavy bolter, plus a sergeant’s plasma pistol, all fall into the same general category of killiness), the squad’s overall effectiveness has changed substantially, meaning it’s worth throwing an extra point or two at the unit to tweak its rules.
As a specific example, a Leman Russ battle tank has (in its most stereotypical loadout) a battle cannon, lascannon and two heavy bolters, plus a storm bolter on the top. That’s a great all-round tank, capable of killing pretty much anything that comes close to it. However, that firepower falls into two categories: if you attack a vehicle, only the lascannon and the turret gun really matter, but they hit really hard; if you attack infantry, the lascannon will vaporise one poor bugger, the battlecannon will dismember a few more, and the heavy bolters and storm bolter harass the rest. In either case, the tank’s unleashing a lot of firepower at a target and causing an immense amount of pain, but the game effect is that it’s inflicting a lot of damage to a single enemy unit. In Xenos Rampant terms, it’s a standard Heavy Armoured Vehicle with the Anti-Tank rule. Even without the sponsons or cupola weapon, its effectiveness barely changes.
Having run Rampant for a number of life-long Warhammer and 40k players, it seems that some of the base assumptions of Games Workshop games are quite ingrained. One Bretonnian player couldn’t comprehend that his Single Model Unit Bretonnian Lord couldn’t join a nearby unit of Knights of the Realm and was, in fact, just as effective on his own as they were en masse, because they were both the same unit type in the Dragon Rampant rulebook.
All that being said, Xenos Rampant isn’t a -perfect- fit for every 40k unit and weapon loadout, and isn’t intended to be, but most codex units can probably be hammered into a Xenos Rampant unit type without losing the flavour of the 41st Millennium. End of quote.