Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Honours of War - Take the Crossroads  (Read 1655 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Re: SYW Honours of War - Take the Crossroads
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »
Great pics Din. Really great !

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
Great pics Din. Really great !

Thank you friend! Your presence in our next game, will be a guarantee of excitement! And thrill! And neverboredom!  lol
And you'll come next Saturday... of course  ::)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »
Last Saturday we played a game with friend Doc Vag, it was his second game with Honours of War and my main task was to show him the basic mechanism on the one hand and on the other hand to let us field a substantial portion of our armies, just not to let them rusting in the boxes :)

We took each 17 battalions divided in 4 brigades. Each brigade would have a superior battalion or one of grenadiers plus one medium artillery battery.

Two cavalry brigades, one with 2 cuirassiers and 1 dragoon regiment, the second with 1 cuirassiers and 2 dragoons regiments and one independent unit of hussars.

All the commanders would be dependable and DogVag's Prussians would have +1 move and fire bonus and the no movement penalty, as per the national characteristics of Early SYW Prussians.

My French would be saddled with their respective national characteristics, one of my battalions would be light and I split one regiment of dragoons in two small regiments.

For deployment I proposed the French to deploy one brigade first, then the Prussians one brigade, keeping one last brigade in reserve, to enter from our side of the table whenever we thought it was time.

The main features of the table setup were one town and one village (both soft cover) posted on two crossroads. 3VP for holding the town and 1VP for the village at the end of the game.

The most bloody action was the cavalry fight and, as Doc Vag had decided to put his second cavalry Brigade later on table, the French managed to win more clashes.

The place between the village and the town was crowded with double lines of battalions from both opponents. The French were quick to put a foothold on the town and the village, the Prussians attacked and both places were taken. The French counterattacked and succeded to retake them, not without losses. The end of the game saw the French holding the two crossroads and, having inflicted more losses to the Prussians, it was considered a French strategic victory.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Great looking game , Dinos , you,re really enjoying the HoW Rules . 👍 34 x battalions and 6 x cavalry regiments on the table is a Big Battle. It’s great to see a group of friends enjoying their gaming on a regular basis , that’s what it’s all about . 😎

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
Great looking game , Dinos , you,re really enjoying the HoW Rules . 👍 34 x battalions and 6 x cavalry regiments on the table is a Big Battle. It’s great to see a group of friends enjoying their gaming on a regular basis , that’s what it’s all about . 😎

Thank you for your always enccouraging comments! Yes! That’s what it’s all about! And my joy to share this with friends over the net! Cheers!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
Bloody lovely!  Seeing all those Old Glory 15s is like seeing old friends... Mine have languished in their boxes for 20 years, so you've inspired me to dig them out again (and perhaps finally finish my Reichsarmee at long last).
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Bloody lovely!  Seeing all those Old Glory 15s is like seeing old friends... Mine have languished in their boxes for 20 years, so you've inspired me to dig them out again (and perhaps finally finish my Reichsarmee at long last).

Thank you for your good words!
And... old friends... to dig them out again... I'm really glad to hear this!
It would be really great if I gave you a motivation to look again at this period!
More so, because I've rarely seen somebody making a Reichsarmee!

Cheers!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »
Thank you for your good words!
And... old friends... to dig them out again... I'm really glad to hear this!
It would be really great if I gave you a motivation to look again at this period!
More so, because I've rarely seen somebody making a Reichsarmee!

Cheers!
I will try to dig them out and photograph them (badly, indoors...) next week!  I've got a stack of Prussians (at 1:50ish ratio), plus a small Swedish Army and a small Reichsarmee contingent.  Mostly OG with a few Lancashire Games.  I also inherited a large Austrian army when a very good friend passed away (which is badly in need of re-flagging before it gets photographed).  They even appeared in Wargames Illustrated a few times, which was unusual, as Duncan wasn't keen on anything smaller than 28mm.

We did a fantastic Europe-wide campaign back in the 90s and the King of Prussia was actually playing by mail from Bavaria at the time (pre-internet)!  The campaign journals for that still give me a chuckle - the British player insisted on creating model journalists for The Times and The Sun (!) who would be 'embedded' to armies and would then write satirical articles about the battles they witnessed.  Realising that 'He who writes the news establishes the history', some players started paying to embed journalists and gain favourable press, while others started paying for assassination attempts on the journos and 'accidentally' routing cavalry charges over them... It was a hoot! :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
Well! It would be great to see them photographed! and the fact that they appeared in Wargames Illustrated means that they are not bad at all!

...Realising that 'He who writes the news establishes the history', some players started paying to embed journalists and gain favourable press, while others started paying for assassination attempts on the journos and 'accidentally' routing cavalry charges over them...

Hear! Hear! This is a very inspiring idea and you must have had much fun!!! I imagine a single poor terrified journalist being stampeded by a whole fleeing regiment of cuirassiers!  lol

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
I'll scan the 'newspapers' in and stick them up.  They were written in 'period xenophobic English gentleman' style and were absolutely hilarious (to us, anyway...).  The 'Times' editions were great, but the 'Sun' was absolutely inspired; complete with a Page 3 Girl and a 'Spot the Roundshot' competition... He had far too much time on his hands... He does this nowadays: http://www.adcpainting.co.uk/

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
BTW The Wargames Illustrated articles were from a couple of demo games we took around the shows during the 90s - Lobositz and Kolin.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
I'll be extremely glad to see your "newspapers" posted and I'll visit at a friend's who is maniacal collector of all these magazines, I'll try to locate Lobositz and Colin during the 90s as you said.
Cheers!