Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: You know it's bad when...  (Read 3736 times)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
You know it's bad when...
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
OK the lead pile may be getting out of hand...

I know I have bought various models (and even groups of models for specific projects) but when I check the lead pile I can't find them. The pile is too big and my hiding places too many for my own good.

Problems of a 'wargaming magpie'. I know a comment would be to sell some of these old projects items but I want to do them all, so I just need to get some more completed.

I guess I'm not alone in these issues, or at least I hope I'm not...
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: You know it's bad when...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
No way around it.  Stop buying until you get a project done.  The overwhelming majority of gamers are unable to do it, but it's worth trying.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
Yeah - the problem is the one I want to do I can't find.  lol

I'm actually pretty good at getting though painting (not great but ok) BUT my gaming dreams are bigger than my painting skills...

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
Nope, I have about 25 unpainted minatures, not counting my 40k stuff wich I stopped playing and as such am likely to sell off.

Been back in the hobby for 1 year now with a different game system.
About 5 miniatures painted in that time, yeah I'm not the fastest or most dedicated painter.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
I will get round to finishing those original RT-01 plastics....

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
I have to stop myself now. I've abandoned more projects than I've ever completed, because I get distracted too easily.

Projects that are well advanced (they never actually finish of course) are - WW2 British Para platoon, dark age Norse-Gaelic raiders, Oldhammer bits and pieces (Ugezod's Death Commandos are actually finished!).

Stuff that has been barely started or is still on hold includes - WW2 British & Commonwealth in Burma, Crusades Hospitallers, WW2 British & Commonwealth 8th Army (1:72 plastics), Napoleonic British (1:72 plastics), Zulu War British (1:72 plastics), Napoleonic British 28mm, Oldhammer Regiments of Renown (various), British Celts (1:72 plastics) and Wars of the Roses.

Projects abandoned - ACW Confederates, ECW Montrose army, ECW Covenanters, WW1 British in Palestine, Ancient Nubians, Spartans, 100YW English, Spanish Conquistadors, 30YW Swedish, Napoleonic Portuguese, Prussians & Dutch-Belgians (1:72 plastics), Romans (1:72 plastics), WH40K Imperial Guard, WH40K Orks, WH40K Tyrannids, WHFB Orcs & Goblins, WHFB Chaos Beastmen, WHFB Bretonnians … possibly others I've forgotten.

When I honestly look at a pile of lead and decide it's giving me no pleasure to see it there, all judgemental, I get shot of it. It actually feels very cleansing to free myself of the burden and allow the toys to be appreciated. Then the trick is to make sure the projects I have don't grow.

Too much.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Cubs.
Is right project management is the trick. Like most I've projects that are years old(okay decades) I'm in a slightly different predicament I've barely bought figures in years and the ones I have are specifically related to existing projects.
Unfortunately my lead pile grows every week. As it's more of a 3D record of works and re usable bits.
Personally I'd recommend you take a weekend and get organised. Sort every thing into periods and kits etc.(Then be honest with yourself .)
Three piles. Definitely will,Then- if I finish the first pile,Then- If I finish the second pile. Then once thats done . Actually be honest with yourself. Piles two,and three are actually... Not a cat in Hells chance.
I have to admit I just went through my Dwarf miniatures draw.To find a figure to paint for the painting party . The Mrs wanted to look through the dwarfs once she realized how much the one I'd just painted was worth. I was begrudgingly compliant with more than a hint of blind panic lol.As theres over thirty years worth of collecting in one Draw( Never  going to tell the mrs just how many other draws of figures there are in my workshop :D)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 12:01:22 AM »
Yes, I must say, I've kept on the rails with only two active projects (Pulp & Mage Knight Fantasy - MK is dormant but has a larger pool of unpainted figures), and one project I'm not allowed to start until I'm much further along with (40K 28mm Inquisi-Pulp). But in spite of having so few projects, the pile of unpainted miniatures still grows!

At least I've been good about not buying anything for 40k which I can't get later. I only have 4-5 figures, and those only because they were an especially rare offer, one-time-only, or other such restrictions.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »
Don't stop buying things you like if you can afford it.
Just don't forget to get a dive into your pile ( or room, or basement, shed, holiday resort or whatever ) is you catch a challenging new rules set and get those classic figs out you've always liked but never got to put to good use. It's a hobby, should be both challenging and relaxing, to to be taken too seriously :-).
Leadhead

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 04:53:03 AM »
I was unemployed for a number of months over the summer.  No income and plenty of time gave me a good chance to sort out the lead pile.  Made a good dent in a number of projects, cleared out some obvious non-starters.  Of course I didn't completely paint everything!  Now I'm working again, so I am back to impulsively purchasing stuff that I no longer have time to paint.....

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:07:59 AM »
unless you have at least a Tonne you don't have a problem.  ;)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
I have had kebab years for a while  back on track so able to buy shiny. Lots of projects and bits and bobs in Last couple of years. I tend not to worry, if it stalls, there is not interest in the game with mates etc, flog them, swap them but use cash to round out an existing project or pick up a new one. For me I try not to make it a job , there are no killer deadlines in a hobby nor should there be. If for a demo then leave plenty if time but don't solely do that project.

Recently my partner has been ill so I sat for 12 weeks alone in evenings, with the wandering mind I jumped about, painting 8 of one type of mini, them switch to another. If I got into the swing of things kept going with another batch. If not don't feel you have to complete before moving on. One thing I found by doing this is I might have 2 or 3 units part painted, going back to them weeks later you find very quickly that these all are finished off as you aren't faced with the huge task of starting from scratch

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:25 AM »
I have been painting without buying any new figures for about 3 years now. Haven't even hardly put a dent in my lead pile. Well I have bought a odd figure or 2. the last figures I bought were some Gringo40s about 3 years ago, and they have all been painted. Thinking about getting into some Tonkin & Dhomey figure soon though.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Being a wargamer should be a recognised condition giving the entitlement to at least 3 months time off work a year. This would enable lead piles to be kept to acceptable minimums, giving relief from the oppressive burden they can  potentially cause  lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:58:18 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
unless you have at least a Tonne you don't have a problem.  ;)

This.

I’m about to move for the last time and that focuses the mind a bit, so I’ve been flogging off some stuff, might get it down to two tonne  lol
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)