Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686645
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: You know it's bad when...  (Read 3741 times)

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Re: You know it's bad when...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
Heres what helped me slow down. I moved after living in the same place for almost 30 years. When I realized I was going to need a second truck just to move my lead pile (painted and unpainted) I devested some and committed to slow my buying of new figs. Now I am focused on two basic projects. Pulp and Cowboys and I have most of what I want so figure purchases are rare.

The reason for the unpainted stuff is often because I painted enough to play the period and what was left to paint were the "it would be cool to have" units or figures. The other thing is buying new armies that I hope to play one day. I still have plenty I could not give up and it still remains unpainted go figure  lol lol lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »
Oh!

Wait!

You're supposed to.... paint... 'em?  ???

We're also moving house in a few weeks and yeah, I feel a bit guilty for all the neglected shinies that I am having to box up. I can't see myself getting rid of any, and since The Boy is showing some interest these days I can at least use the "but we're bonding!" excuse...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
  lol using that one. Be warned it will soon be "what do WE have I can take to games night?"

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
I found most of my missing items, so panic over on that side although I am missing one rules book I was after. :)

But yes I keep saying I'm buying for retirement, as the lead prices rise (and kick starters tend to be good deals) and storage costs are ok - well that's my excuse anyway...
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 09:57:26 PM »
I keep seeing stuff and thinking, "Gosh - that looks cool!" and buying it, with a paint plan, some historical or sci-fi research, and so on.

But, life gets in the way of painting.  My wife gets so annoyed she actually requested that I start drinking, abusing drugs, gambling, or go get another girlfriend, as any of these vices would cost less and take less time away from her and the kids.

Go figure.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
The Mrs and I took up golf a few years ago...  Now, that is a hobby which eats time and money. Lessons, driving range session and the all afternoon games.

After that the Mrs did not complain about the costs or time but storage gets the occasional comment. ;)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 07:37:21 AM »
Well, either I'm still an absolutely cracking Tetris player, or my painting area and gaming room have TARDIS-like properties, but impossibly, I'm still able to find a nook or cranny to put my newest shinies every time, and have been for decades.

And as long as my hobby stuff does not overflow that appointed room, my wife does not mind. She has zero interest in my hobby, but has accepted it, as it was already part of the package when we met. But this also means she has no clue of just what kind of monetary value is stashed up there; probably enough to get our daughter through uni when the time comes (but luckily we already made other arrangements for that, so the mountain can rest and grow  undisturbed).

On the other hand; I recently learned that the house has begun to show an ever so slight lean on the side where I do most of my squirreling, so there may be a loophole in dimensions up there, but mass is apparently still retained.

What really worries me though, is that I recently came across an apparent (small) start of some project I had no recollection of ever getting! So how it ever ended up in my room of holding is an absolute mystery, and a slight warning to maybe take it easy on the acquisitions for a while.

I have every intention to start and finish each and every project I ever bought into (except that one mystery ziplock bag; what IS up with that?), it's just that the dimensional rift I'm taking advantage of for my storage is limited to three dimensions only, which leaves me with not enough time.

Let's just hope I'll make to retirement, so I can start making serious dents in the mountain. But that will create its own challenges as I've already learned: painted miniatures, when properly stored and/or displayed take up exponentially more room than unpainted miniatures and sprues... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
 lol lol lol

So true!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
I don't like to think about it. If you stare into the Abyss for too long, the Abyss stares back at you...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
I suggest completing a detailed inventory of all your unassembled/unpainted stuff, ideally a spreadsheet  lol. I am not particularly scientific but then I would suggest using the following formula.

(T x H) + A

T = Total of reasonable time allocated to each inventory item to complete, bearing in mind things usually take twice as long as you think they do especially if there is a learning curve involved.
H = Average hobby time expressed as a decimal fraction of, say per day so for example ½ hour = 0.5/24 = 0.020833
A = Your current age

I would suggest if the answer is in excess of 80 then maybe it is time to consider prioritising and offloading items of least interest  lol

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
I know what you mean... About four years ago I realised that I had around 2,000 unpainted AB Napoleonics.  But the Waterloo bicentennial was just around the corner and then I decided to finally paint up the Austrians for 1809.  All in all, I painted around about 2,000 AB Figures for those projects, so no problemo! :)

I recently did a stock-take... It seems that I now have around 2,000 unpainted AB Napoleonics...  :o

What went wrong...?  >:(
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
There seems to be two groups on this. It's the same with friends in the local group as well.

* There are those of us in the 'aspirational camp' - where we have loads of projects, they may grow or shrink but realistically we know we have too much and live with it, for various reasons.

* The realistic camp who purge and keep the project and lead mountain under control.

I'm much more in the aspirational camp but at the same time there are limits even to what I can stand. Still without the dreams and the hobby I'd be a lot less happy person so you know what I'll just keep on going down my little dreamer camp of all these projects.

I know I have a bit of addict/collector/completist tendencies so that does not help either...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
Since getting married, over 20 years ago, I have been actively down-sizing.
If we take a file-box (of figures) as a unit of measure, I have 'moved on' over 120 units,
added to this I have placed brakes on my purchases (fewer figures, though this has meant I can
occasionally buy the pricier figures).....
So how come there is no spare space in my Man-Cave????????

As others have said, it is a hobby. It should not stress you out.
It does help to have an understanding wife.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
There's a Star Wars snowspeeder conversion thread on the go at the moment - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112006.msg140079

In it, I posted that the snowspeeder I had was a different scale, so I ordered the one the chap is converting.

On its arrival on Friday I was deboxing it when a few neurons started to fire, thinking this looked familiar. There's a small clear acrylic base with it, and this in particular was tickling the back of my mind.

I've kept a note of all hobby purchases for many years now in google calendar, so I did a search. Lo and behold, in November 2015 I bought two of them direct from the Disney store for the princely sum of £7.95 each (the new one was £19.99)

Not only that, when I went to put in away this morning, the box staring me in the face said "Star Wars Speeders (Disney)" on the label.

The lead pile is more than big enough without buying things I already have. Sadly, with the passing years and all the fun things age brings with it, I suspect this won't be the last time this happens o_o