Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some Units for Waterloo (AB Figures)  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Some Units for Waterloo (AB Figures)
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:12 AM »
Grognards will have seen all this before, but I'm slowly gathering together the best of my old photo galleries together onto my blog.  So here are the British units I painted for the Waterloo Bicentennial game in 2015.  Netherlands, French and Prussians to follow:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/09/19/the-scum-of-the-earth-wellingtons-army-at-waterloo-in-15mm/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some Units for Waterloo (AB Figures)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »
Quite nicely painted 15 mm figures.  And may I complement you on your skills with lighting, depth of field, and camera work?  Also quite nice.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »
REALLY??!!  :o

Lighting:  Outside on a sunny day (which in Wales means that I get to take photos about twice a year...).  ;)

Depth of field:  With that particular camera there was almost no depth of field at all.  It would focus on one solitary figure and everything else was out of focus (look at the photos where a line is angled away from the camera - the ends of the line are out of focus).  However, the colour saturation was superb and the resolution was epic, allowing spectacular zoom-in.  However, that camera broke about two years ago and I've used my phone camera ever since (e.g. for the 2nd foot Guards photo).  The depth of field with that is great and the resolution is good enough for the screen, but the colour when working indoors can be rubbish and usually needs tweaking.

But thank you very much! :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »
You did a lot of finely painted little men! Superb!
You are a prolific and very talented painter!
And AB figures are just... beauties!  :-*
Congats for your job, a great collection! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 09:58:36 PM »
Fantastic stuff on the blog, its amazing these are 15mm! They really are superb, thanks for showing them   :)
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:41:26 AM »
Even in natural sunlight, making choices determines if the photo tells its story, yours do.  And depth field matters when the target subject is not in focus, yours are all in focus as far as I can see.  So, still I say, good job.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:18:05 AM »
That's very kind of you chaps, especially the unfounded accusations of photographic competence!  ;)

We Welsh have now had our sun ration for 2018 (just enough to turn us from our natural pale blue colouring to white), so no more decent photos until 2019! :(

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 05:41:57 AM »
I was amazed to see your post presenting the whole House of Orange down to its smallest detail! The command base is a vignette on its own!
And then all the Netherlanders and Belgians presented with such an accuracy! -Using the info you had at hand then-. And it is also great that you comment the little mistakes or ommissions or guesses adding corrective additional information! And all what we see, for sure took you hours of hard work and a serious money investment to buy such wonderful sculpts in quantities. Well, when you enter a project, you enter a project with all your heart! My best compliments! 

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
Cheers that's very kind!

Yeah, well where there's a mistake it annoys me more than anyone!  ::)

I also thought it was worth pre-empting criticism re 'deliberate mistakes' such as those 'wrong' 1815 Pattern (i.e. post-Waterloo) flags.  It's always problematic when you buy a unit with a standard-bearer figure... something has to go on the pole unless you have a spare figure to fill that gap in the line!  Old Glory are buggers for that - they'll give you standard bearers in a pack for units that didn't carry standards (e.g. SYW Prussian Grenadiers)...

It's also interesting to highlight how lucky we are now compared to just a few years ago, in the wide variety of models we now have to choose from, as well as the easy availability of uniform information via t'interweb.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 07:38:57 AM »
Nicely done  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
Gorgeous. I have an on-again, off-again semi-project based around painting up my old Airifx Napoleonics and this has given me a nice boost. Lovely bit of factoid about the battalion colours, too. I never knew that.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »
Cheers that's very kind!

Yeah, well where there's a mistake it annoys me more than anyone!  ::)

You are a person who likes to recreate history with the most possible accuracy, so incorrect information may mislead other people using your work as reference.

Old Glory are buggers for that - they'll give you standard bearers in a pack for units that didn't carry standards (e.g. SYW Prussian Grenadiers)...

:? and they are so good sculpts, one can't resist to buy!

It's also interesting to highlight how lucky we are now compared to just a few years ago, in the wide variety of models we now have to choose from, as well as the easy availability of uniform information via t'interweb.

As I am living in quite a distance from the center of wargaming events, imagine how much more difficult it was for me, thirty years before, to gather historical information or even to purchase good figures. My starting armies (mainly Napoleonic) were 1/72 plastic with innumerable conversions. I have still some of them to remember these "heroic" years...

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
Gorgeous. I have an on-again, off-again semi-project based around painting up my old Airifx Napoleonics and this has given me a nice boost. Lovely bit of factoid about the battalion colours, too. I never knew that.
Cheers!  Yeah, I first cut my teeth on Airfix and Esci plastics, as well as Prince August homecast. :)

Re the flags; the last time I checked, only one Netherlands flag is known from the period - that of the 27th Jagers, which I think was a white flag displaying a hunting-horn badge and the number '27' within, as well as some sort of inscription beneath (regimental title, I think).  IIRC, other Netherlands units are recorded as carrying flags, but they weren't described.  To be honest, as they weren't described we may as well just use the 'wrong' ones (and damned spiffing they look)...  :D

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
You are a person who likes to recreate history with the most possible accuracy, so incorrect information may mislead other people using your work as reference.

:? and they are so good sculpts, one can't resist to buy!

As I am living in quite a distance from the center of wargaming events, imagine how much more difficult it was for me, thirty years before, to gather historical information or even to purchase good figures. My starting armies (mainly Napoleonic) were 1/72 plastic with innumerable conversions. I have still some of them to remember these "heroic" years...
Someone once suggested that if you can't discover something, just make a 'deliberate' error and then when someone corrects you, take notes and ask for their references - free research!  :D

Ah yes, as mentioned above, I started out with Airfix and Esci Napoleonics, as well as Prince August home-cast. :)

Re OG SYW - those grenadier standard-bearers did actually come in handy for IR 6 and the 3rd Battalion of IR 15, otherwise not so much... That pack also had a load of useless grenadier officers in mitre caps, which meant that about 20% of the pack was useless.  >:(  I think OG's problem in those days was that they looked at the pretty pictures in Osprey books but never read the text (hence Prussian cavalry with plumes and Garde du Korps officers with tabards - both post-1762).  That said, I can forgive them for the extra Garde du Korps standard bearer they stuck in each Prussian Cuirassier pack and the 'comedy' Prussian ADC with one heavy cavalry leg and one hussar leg... and the French Napoleonic ADC with three arms (one sleeve of his slung pelisse had a hand poking out of it)...  lol