Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some Units for Waterloo (AB Figures)  (Read 4668 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some Units for Waterloo (AB Figures)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
Someone once suggested that if you can't discover something, just make a 'deliberate' error and then when someone corrects you, take notes and ask for their references - free research!  :D

Ah yes, as mentioned above, I started out with Airfix and Esci Napoleonics, as well as Prince August home-cast. :)

Re OG SYW - those grenadier standard-bearers did actually come in handy for IR 6 and the 3rd Battalion of IR 15, otherwise not so much... That pack also had a load of useless grenadier officers in mitre caps, which meant that about 20% of the pack was useless.  >:(  I think OG's problem in those days was that they looked at the pretty pictures in Osprey books but never read the text (hence Prussian cavalry with plumes and Garde du Korps officers with tabards - both post-1762).  That said, I can forgive them for the extra Garde du Korps standard bearer they stuck in each Prussian Cuirassier pack and the 'comedy' Prussian ADC with one heavy cavalry leg and one hussar leg... and the French Napoleonic ADC with three arms (one sleeve of his slung pelisse had a hand poking out of it)...  lol

The problem is if nobody corrects your "deliberate" error and everybody believes you are god in your domain, you then condemn many poor souls to sciolism  :?

The first foreign book for the hobby that fell in my hands was "Uniforms of Waterloo" and I started converting every Airfix and ESCi figure to different units. Many Royal Horse Artillery men lost their nice tarleton. Then, the ESCI Scots Greys lost their shako and the tarleton was turned to a British heavy cavalry helmet. With some similar way, other Scots Greys became Austrian cavalry, using Austrian helmets. And my first French Napoleonic Generals' bicorns were bicorns taken from ESCI Prussian infantry  :) On the way, of course, I had amassed a huge Osprey collection of all these armies' uniforms.

IR6 and IR15, at least they are useful somewhere.
But the French ADC with three arms, I didn't know! Hilarious!

But when you love, you forgive and OG is fully loveable!

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »
I'm unable to view the blog, as it is blocked by Leics. County Council's library service on ground of 'violence'. Why not this forum, in that case?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
I'm unable to view the blog, as it is blocked by Leics. County Council's library service on ground of 'violence'. Why not this forum, in that case?
Yes, the inner-workings of net-nannys are a complete mystery to me.  I'm on my work computer now and can get on this forum fine, but others are blocked as 'games', as are most of my blog pages.   >:(

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
I can see your blog and was awed by these superb AB sculpts, superbly painted!
You really have a rare collection and so historically documented!
I'm envious with all the good sense of the word!
What to comment most? I'm moved by such beauty!
Many congrats and I wish you always be able to maintain it in good condition and display it in big convention games for all the people to admire this treasure!
Cheers!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
Strangely enough, at the same library I've just watched this trailer:

ADVISORY: CONTAINS VIOLENCE

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Strangely enough, at the same library I've just watched this trailer:

ADVISORY: CONTAINS VIOLENCE
LOL needless to say, the work computer won't let me see it...  lol

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
I can see your blog and was awed by these superb AB sculpts, superbly painted!
You really have a rare collection and so historically documented!
I'm envious with all the good sense of the word!
What to comment most? I'm moved by such beauty!
Many congrats and I wish you always be able to maintain it in good condition and display it in big convention games for all the people to admire this treasure!
Cheers!
Steady on Din!   :D  The crisp tenners will be in the usual brown envelope...  Now is there any chance you could tell Mrs Fawr how wonderful I am...?  :(

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
Steady on Din!   :D  The crisp tenners will be in the usual brown envelope...  Now is there any chance you could tell Mrs Fawr how wonderful I am...?  :(

LOL! Quite many years before, a TV channel came home for an interview -these times I was prolific with figure painting- then my wife told the reporters that all that work they saw, was because I had a patient wife  8)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
I appreciate this is straying a little from the main topic, but, as you haven't been able to watch the trailer for the film, and I can't see your miniatures, I thought you might be interested in these quotes from The Guardian's review:

"an intestine-snappingly brutal movie"

"Black 47 is a viscerally tough and uncompromisingly violent picture, something like an exploitation shocker at times"

How many war-games achieve this, I wonder?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
Oh I've had some intestine-snapping wargames...

Though now I come to think of it, that might have been the club curry night beforehand...

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
i envy you, I think, at least as far as the intensity of the games is concerned. I will stay quiet on the intestinal issue, which is something of a sore point for me, so to speak.

On a more pleasant note, I have now managed to see your blog, on a non-library computer, and share the enthusiasm and plaudits expressed by other LAFers. I only hope the library network watchdogs, to whom I have reported the ludicrous anomaly,  are prompt in taking remedial action.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »
Thanks very much indeed!  To be fair to the librarians, they were only thinking of your well-being... 'tis a silly place...

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 10:44:59 PM »
Just spent a very pleasant half hour or so reading through your blog and gawping at the pictures! I find it difficult to believe that these are 15mm, amazing detail and your knowledge is incredible, I thought I knew a fair bit about Waterloo and the allied armies but ive learnt a lot from your blog.
Many thanks look forward to seeing more.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand