Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paint Test - 3d-Printed Ruins (15mm)  (Read 968 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Paint Test - 3d-Printed Ruins (15mm)
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:54:34 AM »

This is my first painting test for the ruinous bits and pieces I've been printing, from elements by Printable Scenery.

My focus has been on speed of production, to get them on to the gaming table as fast as possible, rather than creating gorgeous diorama-quality miniature models. To that end, they've been painted pretty much entirely by means of washes and dry-brushing over some zenithal priming.

At this standard of painting, they will suit my needs fine. I'm hopeful of having a table-covering mass of urban ruins within the relatively near future.

I have been tossing up whether or not to mount the individual pieces on some sort of base. They are sturdy enough as is to take some fairly careless handling, so they don't actually need basing. So any basing would be more for aesthetics, rather than for structural stability.

Having some debris scattered inside the ruinous shells is appealing, as without it I suspect they'll look more like obstacles on a paintball range than an actual town that has had the shit knocked out of it. The trick will be to make it look enough of a mess without compromising the ability to move troops around inside.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Paint Test - 3d-Printed Ruins (15mm)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
Very nice job on that ruin.

Have you thought of printing the bases and having replaceable walls so you can start with an intact structure and then replace it as it gets damaged?

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
Your 3D printed ruins look amazing. What do they cost to make?

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »

I added an internal base to a complete building assembly, and as I suspected it does look much better. If I add bases to the floating corner pieces, they'll need to be fairly minimal so that they don't interfere with each other when laid out on the table. I should be able to get away with ragged triangles, I think.

It does add considerably to the preparation time, but it doesn't need to be done at the same time as the painting of the shell. I can do the basing progressively as I have the time.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:16:27 AM »
Your 3D printed ruins look amazing. What do they cost to make?

About 20–50 cents. Maybe a dollar if I factor into it the cost of electricity. Not a lot, either way.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
Have you thought of printing the bases and having replaceable walls so you can start with an intact structure and then replace it as it gets damaged?

It would be a simpler matter just to print undamaged and damaged versions of the same building. The advantage of having effectively unlimited supplies of models like these is that I don't have to resort to shifts like replaceable parts. The only issue I have to contend with is lack of storage space.