Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rolls Royce A/C question  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
Rolls Royce A/C question
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
Which is the most easy to build Rolls Royce AC? I’m thinking of getting one for my RCW/ICW, Interwar stuff but don’t fancy detailed gluing etc. I’m thinking Northstar but all advice gratefully received....thank you.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Rolls Royce A/C question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:12 AM »
Which is the most easy to build Rolls Royce AC? I’m thinking of getting one for my RCW/ICW, Interwar stuff but don’t fancy detailed gluing etc. I’m thinking Northstar but all advice gratefully received....thank you.

Matchbox Models of Yesteryear.  lol lol lol

(it's actually a very nice model and quite easy to repaint - only trouble is it's usually more expensive than a model kit and only comes up occasionally).

It does also have the benefit of being a perfect 1:50 scale.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »
Hm, actually there's one from a UK seller up for 20 quid plus shipping here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matchbox-Yesteryear-Y38-YS-38-Rolls-Royce-Armoured-Car/401597997335?hash=item5d811b2117:g:Z2YAAOSw~7ZbMfKF

That's not too bad actually, specially if you're in the UK as I'm assuming you are!

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
Thank you...I’ll see if it’s still there when the pocket money arrives.....it would almost be a shame to repaint it.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
I dunno. Over the years I’ve repainted two of them. Nice model, about the only improvement you could make is replacing the Vickers with a lead version.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Madmick

• Scientist

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 01:54:48 AM »
Those are both very good kits too.

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Indeed they are! Nice one Mick! I like the idea of what appears to be minimal gluing. Cheers!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
Here's a couple of my Rolls Royce cars. The kit is simple to build . it's intended to be easier to repair (as undoubtedly it will get dropped or knocked by some one)
If your intending on using it for Ireland and Russia. Have you considered the Austin armoured car? A little more exotic looking but authentic to both theatres.It's literally four more parts than the Roll's( five if your inclined to have a visible driver.)
If you do choose to use one of mine. Then feel free to pick my brains with a PM if you get stuck or just want walking through building one.

Mark.

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »
Thank you! That is reassuring as I hate complicated kits.

I’ll admit I’m veering from Rolls to Austin and back again. The sleek lines of the Rolls is a nose ahead tbh a) for aethetics and b) because I’ve limited space! I’ll also admit it’ll be getting a simple paint job....

Thanks again !

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »
I have several RR ACs and the Empress one is the nicest kit. Sure, it has several little parts but it turns out really nice.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
That Austin is delicious - I wish I could justify one (and be able to paint it like that :-*). The Rolls isn’t too shabby, either. Well actually, it is shabby but intentionally so and looks the business. I hate the bases, mind you - can’t be doing with vehicles on bases but that’s a quirk of mind.

Lovely work.

Doug

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
They don't come with bases, so if you don't want them to be based (I'm with you ;) ), you're in the clear.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
Hammers, is quite right the Empress kit is very nice once put together. There's the issue for the OP. The ideal solution if you don't want to glue is the diecast version . That's why I'd not mentioned my old Rolls Royce. Until it was considered an option by Harry.
There is an earlier version of it with the chain wheels cast on . That's only four part kit made from shock proof resin. But they're rarer than hens teeth I don't even have one.
Hammers do you have a picture of your Empress version? If you do could you add it.

The bases are on simply. To protect and give some context. As 95% of my painted vehicles have been in advertisements(originally on a blue background) or spent time on the 1st Corps trade stand. They are redundant on a themed back board.I've not the time or the inclination to go back and take the bases off all the vehicles and repair the paint work.(There's a lot. ;D)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:45:21 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »

Hammers do you have a picture of your Empress version? If you do could you add it.