Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mixed 15mm Fantasy!! (Ongoing Project) Wood Elf Army Finished!  (Read 2331 times)

Offline EskeiraSees

• Assistant
Mixed 15mm Fantasy!! (Ongoing Project) Wood Elf Army Finished!
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »
Currently working on a few 15mm fantasy armies, I will use this thread to document all of them as it seems easier than starting new ones for each army.
I have based them for use in HOTT, Mayhem etc but i am mainly painting them for use with a homebrew HOTTesque ruleset I have been working on for a couple of years.
I am going to start by doing a few generic Warhammer type armys (orcs, elves, chaos you know the sort) before I add more unusual forces as it gives me a good baseline for playtesting.

First up are some Orcs:

I am using various snotlings for these as I have something like 100+ of the little fellas and whilst they would look weird next to actual 15mm orcs I think they look ok as an army in their own right (I also LOVE painting snotlings) They can also be used as swarms or unit filler in my 28mm O&G army and I like the idea of having 28mm skirmish warbands that match 15mm armies, figure it gives me some good options for narrative campaign type gaming.  ;)

The squig makes a nice behemoth type creature, and some Foundry orcling riders will do as cavalry.

Need to get some suitable sized tufts to finish the basing but I am struggling to find ones that are small enough..

The army is probably about half way done, still got a few more bases of orcs, beasties, heros and war machines to go!

I have also made a start on some Wood Elves so I will post them later today!

Thanks for looking!  :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:51:14 PM by EskeiraSees »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: Mixed 15mm Fantasy!! (Ongoing Project)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
Nice army set up, I will be following this.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »
Nice figures. Very well painted.

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
Wow, supercuts army you got there! Which models are they? :)

Offline EskeiraSees

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
Thankyou!! I went pretty cartooney on the Orcs but I think it suits the minis.

@tjub - The bulk of the orc warriors are GW snotlings/Foundry Orclings though there's a few other manufacturers mixed in, I have been collecting 'snotlings' of all kinds as a side project for a good decade or so and whilst I don't think there's any unusual ones in there I have long lost track of where each individual came from!  o_o
The riders are from Foundry, squig is 90s GW, ogres are Ral Partha/demonworld, and I think the trolls are magistar millitum

I have made a start on the wood elves that will be the next army, traditionally wood elves should play very differently to the orcs so I thought it would be a good opposing force to begin with.

Using the excellent demonworld range for these, I think they are Werner Klocke sculpts and I found it hard to do them justice. The eagles are from the Dark Elder GW range.

I was not entirely happy when painting these; When painting the orcs I just painted them with essentially the same process as I paint 28mm but with these elves I found that just did not work so well, it felt like much more effort than it should have done! I might have to tweak the scheme or something, cant put my finger on it at the moment.

Got some tree men all based up and being off work for the week I should hopefully have some more progress soon!  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
They look great. There's some very nice 15mm projects on the go at the moment. The detail you've achieved is impressive.

Offline EskeiraSees

• Assistant
Re: Mixed 15mm Fantasy!! (Ongoing Project) Wood Elf Army Finished!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
Thanks! It was seeing all the 15mm projects on here that inspired me!

The Wood Elves are essentially done for now, just got to base another unit of cav and maybe another base or two of spears or wardancers..

I think everything here is from the various Demonworld ranges except the smaller dryads which are Pendraken. Not sure where the tiny critters I used as familiars on the mages bases came from but I wouldn't mind finding a few more.

Army shot front

Army shot side

In retrospect I should have photographed these before varnishing as most of the close up shots I took were not great (I use a satin type varnish as I like the look of a little gloss on my minis)

Forest Dragon

Close up left

Close up right

I found I began to lose interest in these guys towards the end, (hence the speed painted treemen and beasts  :? ) I find 15mm stuff to look great on mass but I dont get the same satisfaction painting them as I do 28mm, I think it is because when I have finished painting a 28mm mini I have an individual character as opposed to a more abstracted element, On the other hand that is two armies pretty much finished in a few months whereas my 28mm armies have all taken years
10mm might have been the better choice for mass battle but I'm committed now  o_o

The next army is either going to be chaotic (possibly demons) or undead, veering toward undead as it seems skellies should be quick to churn out and that gives me three solid 15mm armies to play with, going to do some 28mm stuff first though to restore my painting mojo   :)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:36:38 PM »
Beautiful work!    :-*

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 04:14:59 AM »
Looks great!

I know what you mean regarding painting smaller stuff, tried some 10mm myself but there was no joy painting them. Found 15mm to be the optimal scale for fun to paint/logistically/economically.
The Demonworld stuff are incredible miniatures with loads of detail, but kinda get me wondering if Im ever going to see this gem again while painting...  lol

Offline EskeiraSees

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
Thankyou!  Oldben1:)

@tjubs Thanks, I actually removed some of the detail before painting!  :o  I wanted my wood elves to have a simple look and did not want to faff about painting gems on such tiny minis.

I cant rate the Demonworld range highly enough, the sculpts are even better than they look on the website and the castings were excellent with very little clean up, I noticed the other day that they are now doing warband/skirmish packs and I was seriously tempted to speed paint a selection of them for some tiny song of blades gaming

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
look great.

got a box full of demonworld minis myself somewhere ...