Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 93740 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: 6mm SciFi Army
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 07:45:02 AM »
Adding some infantry to my forces! Models from GZG, bases are custom lasercuts on PETG, with holes drilled to fit the infantry slots and allow a more flat ground.
The bases are larger in area than the standard EPIC ones, but still within the rules. This way I could add some serious terrain and "feel" to each base, which is what is generally lacking entirely from most of the Epic armies.

I also tested the first base with a simple colour scheme, to go with the rest of my tanks: Green shades with bright red spots. In this scale, having clearly identifiable models is more visually appealing than sheer realism.

Looking forward to your comments.

Jack

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
I do like the look of these. I know what you mean about standard sized epic infantry bases, you just about squeeze the models on and that's it. I'm generally liking bigger bases these days, but haven't tried it for epic figures yet.

This may sound weird, but I actually like the unpainted bases more. I think there is more contrast between the figures, the ruins and the bases.  I get what you are trying to do with the painted one, but figures blend to the base colour too much (in my view!). Also the red car probably needs more dirt and rust, if the ruins are so old that there are plants growing over them, then the car needs to look similarly aged.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
I do like the look of these. I know what you mean about standard sized epic infantry bases, you just about squeeze the models on and that's it. I'm generally liking bigger bases these days, but haven't tried it for epic figures yet.
The rules are quite elastic with the base sizes, i just fear that larger bases could be less effective in game. Considering how little i will play, i don't think it is a problem. :)

This may sound weird, but I actually like the unpainted bases more. I think there is more contrast between the figures, the ruins and the bases.  I get what you are trying to do with the painted one, but figures blend to the base colour too much (in my view!). Also the red car probably needs more dirt and rust, if the ruins are so old that there are plants growing over them, then the car needs to look similarly aged.
I see what you mean: I added the red bright backpacks to have them pop out more, and in flesh they tend to be more visible anyways.
Something that has been pointed out is that i shouldn't have red elements other than the actual figures: if the car was blue (and rusty?), the blending would be reduced, probably. :)

Thank you for the feedback!
Jack

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
YES!!!!!!!

These look great mate - my preference is bases that size too, I like the sense of movement you can give a squad by model placement. You've done a really ace job here.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
 8) I like those a great deal.  8)

I much prefer the diorama approach to basing 6mil, it's a large chunk of real estate to a base so you need more detail rather than less.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:32:48 AM by 6milPhil »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »
YES!!!!!!!

These look great mate - my preference is bases that size too, I like the sense of movement you can give a squad by model placement. You've done a really ace job here.

Thanks! :) Ideally larger pieces such as baneblades or mechs will have a lot more on their bases!

8) I like those a great deal.  8)

I much prefer the diorama approach to basing 6mil, it's a large chunk of real estate to a base so you need more detail rather than less.
Indeed! And it's more fun to paint. Of course, the painting time is likely tripled. But meh.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Very nice designs.  Well done!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
Very nice designs.  Well done!

Thank you!

Focusing on the infantry, I managed to complete the first 12 stands.

C&C welcome. I'll befocusing on armoured infantry and tanks now.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »
Amazing. Can't believe this figures are made in 6 mm scale.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
They have come out very well indeed, in these photos the bases look a bit more grey which gives a bit more contrast with the troops.

I think I agree with whomever suggested not having a red car, the ones with the more rusted ones do work better (to me).

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »
Spectacular!

Looks like a throng of soldiers.
It really demonstrates the benefits of 6mm scale!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Amazing. Can't believe this figures are made in 6 mm scale.
Thanks! They do look nice if you don't get too close! :)

They have come out very well indeed, in these photos the bases look a bit more grey which gives a bit more contrast with the troops.

I think I agree with whomever suggested not having a red car, the ones with the more rusted ones do work better (to me).
Yeah, i didn't want to change colours on the already painted car, but i'll do more sober colors in the next ones from now on!

Spectacular!

Looks like a throng of soldiers.
It really demonstrates the benefits of 6mm scale!
Indeed! :) Thank you Dr!

Jack

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
Dude, you’ve done a fantastic job here. I love those little old GZG infantry.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »
Dude, you’ve done a fantastic job here. I love those little old GZG infantry.

Thanks man! I wonder if i should try RoF with these. Can't wait to see your goodies in play, btw!

Now working on some more infantry bases and two titans. Soon pics!

Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
Cheers everyone

Something while waiting for completed pieces.

I've based titans and some heavier infantry, plus I made a dozen bases for tanks to go with.

More soon!

Jack