Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hubbabubba's modular interior sci fi board  (Read 8173 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Hubbabubba's modular interior sci fi board
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
So, although I never seem to actually play any games anymore, I still like to make stuff so it can take up all the space in my little broom cupboard and gently gather dust.

I've long wanted a modular sci fi interior board, for sci fi shoot em up dungeon crawlesque schenanigans. I admired Denatus's boards and decided that that I just had to have something similar or my life would never be complete. You can see his boards here on his most excellent blog: https://stalker7.com/2015/05/23/sci-fi-interior-boards/

I've gone for a 3'x3' layout made up of 9 1' square tiles, with an optional 10th tile for added variation. One of the nice things about it is it can be expanded to 4x4 or even 6x4 should real insanity take hold.

Anyway, I roughed out the tiles on paper to play around with different lay outs
as can be seen here:

The lay out was then transfered to the 3mm mdf boards, which were backed with a frame both to make them more sturdy, avoiding any warping from the painting process and also provide a surface area for the 7mm magnets that enable the boardds to lock together.

I scribed a 1" tile design into the mdf, and lifted a few tiles out with a chisel and replaced them with some fly screen.
My current thinking is to paint all the base boards prior to adding the walls as it seems to me that this will save a lot of time and faffing around. Hence the wall sections are currently masked off.

Walls will be added with insulation foam, which I am in the process of adding detail to by scribing, layering card and adding the odd greebly.

Any ideas/feedback/advice would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 08:46:27 AM by hubbabubba »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Hubbabubba's modular interior sci fi board
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:20:45 AM »
interesting let the pictures come!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
That looks pretty neat!

I've been wanting to do something similar for 15mm scale troops, though I'd like to do the same for 25mm - 32mm ones as well.

I'm looking at takeout pizza boxes for this, as a cheap source of "rooms" or "hull sections" right now, and plan to go with thinner, paper, or cardboard walls inside.  Cardstock would probably be best, so its a little more durable, but I can still print on them, to add in features, and details easily, for little cost.

I'm thinking about linking the box sections in some way, and think this should work out, since they can then be easily stacked, and stored too.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
Editing the post.

@Mako, also a great excuse to eat loads of pizza.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Always nice to see magnets in use for terrain, I feel like many people don't know about the manifold ways they can be used to attach elements to each other or keep small terrain pieces in place :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:06 PM »
Looks promising  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:32:39 AM »
Great start. That is going to be fun to play with!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 05:43:30 AM »
I really like to see the rest of this project.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
Excellent stuff. I think this space crusade tile style is the way to do it. Your raised batons also offer the opportunity for depth, and possibly batteries...?  :D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »
This looks promising!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
Impressive start :o

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
What about adding a lift or airlock door in the ground? As if there’s more levels underneath?

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Hmm. The lighting and the sunken sections are both fine ideas, but a little ambitious for where I'm at now. Perhaps for future sections.

I love the idea of the lift. It made me think immediately of the scene in Aliens when Ripley is escaping from the queen. I think that rather than incorporate it into a tile, I may build it as a separate piece that could be placed on the tiles like scatter terrain. Reason being,  I can see it being a really useful objective in lots of different scenarios.

Anyhow, progress has been made. I decided to work on one tile as a test piece, before going into full production mode. here are the results.

This is a sample wall, post scribing/panelling etc with a base coat, shade, overspray.

and on the tile that had had the same treatment.

I then gave it all a couple of colour filters and added some detail. Still pending a final wash to some areas but what do you think.

It's fairly generic, which while it looses in character, means that as an advantage, it could be used in a wide variety of different genres, from sci fi to pulp, just by changing the scatter.

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
That's incredibly effective, and probably deceptively simple. Really great looking results so far.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
Excellent - that is very effective. My only feeling (and bear in mind that this could be that things are getting flattened out a little bit by the photo/lighting), but could it do with some sharper/harsher delineation between panels? The generic nature of what you've got is perfect - makes it useful for all sorts of different gaming situations - but does that mean that it needs a little more cartoon "pop" than it would otherwise? Perhaps not - it's really tough to say, and I hasten to add that part of what makes it a tough one to call is that it looks so good already as it is! I'm also aware that with these things the law of diminishing returns can kick in after a certain point. The extra work needed might not be worth the effect it achieves. If the time/appearance balance is a good one as is, then I'd say it's perfect! I don't know if you plan to put numbering/markings on the walls, but that, of course, could contribute to the effect that I'm getting at. Really looking forward to more in any case - have always loved your gaming stuff.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani