Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Whilst in Bulgaria on business...  (Read 983 times)

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
Whilst in Bulgaria on business...
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
I may not have fantastic modelling or painting skills however I'd like to share what I got up to whilst I was away in Sofia the capital of Bulgaria on business for these last ten days. There are real modellers and painters on the forum in spades so please accept that I'm just a regular guy who paints and builds so he can game not for display!

It's hard work travelling on business and the focus of course is to do the job you've been sent over to do (I have and it went fine by the way) however my evenings were mostly free. In anticipation of the phone calls to family and friends whilst I was away I brought one of my blue tooth ear pieces for the phone and a collection of sprues and some random modelling items for construction.

I used to travel a lot more on business in the UK so I already had a travel kit of tools and supplies all sorted out (happy to share details if anyone is interested).

The sprues I had were of eight GW skinks (lizardmen) and five GS Grey Knights. I also had the wooden sprues from the Batman the Miniatures game to make some battlefield boxes up.

I like to weight my scenery so I brought a tube of milliput with the idea of filling the Batman boxes up and creating some weight. I did indeed do this with three out of the four. The fourth box lid fits really well and doesn't need gluing so I am leaving it empty in case adding a mystery item or objective marker inside becomes useful. Two of the other boxes were squares and if I didn't glue them I'd never have remembered which was the end that opened and the fourth box lid didn't fit terribly well. I was frankly too tired to be bothered filing it to fit. (All of the construction tended to take place late evening...)

I build and paint quite slowly so I took roughly seven nights on the items. I did have the luck to be in a rented apartment with excellent lighting AND right next door to Pikko Games which is a very small games store in Sofia. Whilst small it did have some GW paints so I got a white, agrax and a silver to be able to make a start on the figures. I found some open paint in the apartment as well so I had access to some regular paint and some other colours. I normally have a second travel kit with me containing a selection of paints but didn't want to fly with those so left them in England.

Here is what I built...oh and yes I got a game in with them using some very made up rules that i spent an evening coming up with - my normal homebrew rules are tried and tested but require d20's whilst I only had a set of d6's with me.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Whilst in Bulgaria on business...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
I salute your ability to model while on route. I have trouble to model even in my sea side house while on vacations. Please share your travel kit.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
Hi Captain,

I am all packed up for the plane tomorrow but I will take some pictures over the weekend and post up what I travel with.

Regards

Archie

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »
Good stuff, always good to be able to do some hobby stuff when stuck away from home. And being able to have good light is key. A few years ago when I was away a few nights a week, I ended up taking a small lamp with me, but I did have the advantage that I had a car!

I like the look of the skinks, but they look like they will have needed some carefully packing to get home ok.