Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690765
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Primer Q for all you Airbrushers!  (Read 717 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
A Primer Q for all you Airbrushers!
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
Hey all,

I've bought myself a budget airbrush (Sparmax 4) - mostly for varnishing, priming and basecoating (the parts I *hate* doing) but need some advice:

I long ago abandoned vallejo polyurethene coloured primers (with a brush) in favour of aerosol, solvent based primers, because they seemed to chip a lot. Are they tougher applied by airbrush? My experimenting seems to suggest airbrushed finishes are a bit tougher - anyone know?

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: A Primer Q for all you Airbrushers!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Hey all,

I've bought myself a budget airbrush (Sparmax 4) - mostly for varnishing, priming and basecoating (the parts I *hate* doing) but need some advice:

I long ago abandoned vallejo polyurethene coloured primers (with a brush) in favour of aerosol, solvent based primers, because they seemed to chip a lot. Are they tougher applied by airbrush? My experimenting seems to suggest airbrushed finishes are a bit tougher - anyone know?
Well, they are not tougher, there is a better finish, but thats it. If you let it dry for about 2 days then its harder to damage, but if we are talking for metal figures with sharp points, there is always danger and the problem is that it peals, not cheap. You should try the badger primer. Its tougher and sandable. If by any chance you scratch it, then it just cheaps nd you can easily patch it up.
Caution.
1 its quite thick, it selflevels perfectly even if you flood it, but you surely spend more material than with the vallejo one.
2 it cleans only with alcohol. No vallejo cleaner, no iwata cleaner, no ajax or any other window cleaner. But you have to clean it within one hour or else it will give you hell.