Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Basing Oathmark miniatures  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Basing Oathmark miniatures
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:20:33 PM »
Hello!

As a fan of Frostgrave I was thrilled to hear that Joseph McCullough is currently designing Oathmark and that the game will be supported by a miniature range from Northstar Miniatures. I prefer the old school look of these miniatures almost any other miniatures currently on the market.

Although the elves really do have give that classic impression (and, at least in my opinion, offer a very LOTR / The Silmarillion vibe), I decided on purchasing the goblins because they are just spot on.

My question now is:

Are champion units using the same 25mm square bases as the infantry units?

When looking at the photos on the Facebook Page this seems to be the case and it would make sense. The only reason why I am not completely sure is that in the current FAQ it is said that the game "mostly" uses 25mm square bases.

Would it most likely be correct to assume that the "mostly" was only mentioned because of the larger units (like the "dragon" unit which was once previewed) and that the human-ish-sized units are all based on 25mm square?

I know that nobody can be absolutely sure as the rules are not out yet but I wanted to know how all the other people preparing forces for Oathmark are handling this matter.

Thank you very much and kind regards!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
Re: Basing Oathmark miniatures
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:28:32 AM »
Is there a nominal release date yet?

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »
Concerning the release date: I think the only information we got is that it will be released in 2019.

Concerning the base sizes: The new images from when they showed the miniatures at Warlord Games Day show the command / champion units on square 25mm, so I´ll base mine accordingly.

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:48:41 PM »
My understanding is that all infantry will be based on 25mm squares. But you wont have any trouble using smaller or round bases. If you are on Facebook there is a pretty active group for oathmark there!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply and thanks for the info!

I don't use Facebook which means I rely on the public official Facebook page for Oathmark for informations. Is it that one you mean or is there another fanmade / club based one?

My hope and assumption is that once Oathmark gets published there will be lots of discussions on platforms like Lead Adventure (as was the case with Frostgrave).

As far as I know there is not that much information out there yet, apart from the FAQ and the blog entries /interviews of Joseph McCullough.

Still I am excited for the game and slowly assembling a goblin army for which I have decided to base all infantry on square 25mm :)

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
No problems! :)

The page is called Oathmark Players Page and is official and tied to the officoal Oathmark page.

Are you by any chance based in Sweden?

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:02:35 PM »
Just a few days someone on this forum asked me whether I was based in Denmark, alas the word "historiker" is used for historians in Denmark, Sweden and Germany, me being based in the latter.

I have toyed with learning a Scandinavian language quite often but so far I haven't as there is so little time and so many hobbies :)

Unfortunately Oathmark is not yet well known in my town (mostly because the game is not out yet) but as Frostgrave is a huge success here and written by the same author who is known for cool game mechanics plus the fact that quite a a lot of people are missing the classic aesthetic of fantasy battle games I am quite sure Oathmark will be successful as well once it arrives.

It certainly is relaxing basing all these goblins :D

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
I am basing mine on round metal washers, the same size as the 25mm squares, they look prettier when used as skirmish, and there are plenty of companies out there offering movement trays for these round bases.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »
Using metal washers is indeed a great way of basing miniatures which I have seen used for many SAGA armies. Most of my own SAGA forces use 25mm Renedra round bases which is basically the same thing once they are painted (but yes, metal washers have the added advantage of weight).

Personally I will however use the bases which come with the figures when it comes to Oathmark as it is a rank and file system and with these I prefer square bases.

In the FAQ they mentioned that movement trays should work with a bit of work. Don't know if that is only for 20mm round bases though. In the end, I hope that all basing works along the line of "25mm and you figure out how to establish rank and file".

So many question marks, so I am  very much looking forward to more news regarding the rules :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:25:44 PM by Historiker »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 08:29:55 AM »
Oathmark's basing is 25mm for standard foot. You can use rounds or squares, but if using rounds especially you'll need movement trays as it is all about units of troops and their facing. If you have models based on 20mm bases, use of a movement tray will easily enable you to play against somebody with the 'correct' (for want of a better word) basing.  :) My Orc horde in a playtest game included LoTR figs on 25mm rounds and WFB figs on 25mm squares, plus trolls on 40mms round and 50mm squares. We still managed to have a good game. I used movement trays for the infantry and we 'managed' with the oddly based trolls with no issues at all.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
Thank you very much for the clarification! Sounds as it it will be possible to enjoy the game with quite a lot of base-sizes. This also makes it easier to show the game to interested friends.

Also it´s great to hear that playtesting is already happening. I know, play testing is part of the creative process in game-design but I am still happy that there is already miniatures in active use on the table. Go Goblins! :)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
Hello!

Please excuse me bringing up my old thread but I actually got an additional question:

Has anyone read anything about whether Oathmark will be played with movement trays in the case of the miniatures being based as provided (25mm square)?

I am wondering because on all the official / promotional pictures I can find they stand freely without a tray. Although I prefer atmospheric pictures to be done like this I would find that to be very fiddly in actual gameplay (having to reconstruct every unit-square after every move).

Has there been any information in regards to trays? By the limited information I have trays should be perfect for this type of game.

Maybe someone in the Official Oathmark Players Facebook Group knows something? I (sometimes unfortunately) don't have Facebook.

Many thanks for any actual info or telling me that I have not overlooked something!

Very much looking forward to testing my Goblins soon!