Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686459
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Darkest Africa from Copplestone Castings.  (Read 8211 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Darkest Africa from Copplestone Castings.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
Well, as the CA moderator, I suppose it's beholden on me to get the war party deal and paint them up as best I can, for the benefit of our members.

Oh well, I'd only piss that twenty-five quid away on booze anyway. Done.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Well even if not the fearful tribe of the world ...from the pict there are some tribesmen in that sort of toga who maybe can pass for the something similar to Hehe ...that fought vs Germans in Ostafrika...until today I never saw some suitable African minis with that look...maybe our moderator cam enlight us..
Thanks

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
I agree entirely. Lots conversion of potential there for the "toga-wearers" of the East African set. Kikuyu and Samburu spring to mind in addition to the Hehe and others. Unlike these guys, it seems that East Africans preferred to hang their toga over the right shoulder for some reason, but I'm not sure that's a point worth quibbling about.

In the past I've used Copplestone Somalis for such conversions, but you have the issue of their cast-on shields and their big hair to work around. These guys certainly look like they'll be less work to convert (though some of them rival and indeed surpass the Somalis in the hair department).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Well, as the CA moderator, I suppose it's beholden on me to get the war party deal and paint them up as best I can, for the benefit of our members.

Oh well, I'd only piss that twenty-five quid away on booze anyway. Done.  :)

lol

Excellent  ;)

Offline pineapplegeneral

• Lurker
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
Can't wait for these. There are some bits about them in the Durham Uni Sudan archive, under British intelligence reports- here : https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/sudan/sirs/

From memory they were involved as scouts for the British in the 1896-99 period. Just need some nice late period Mahdists now..

Offline nightgaunt

• Student
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »
I had a look but didn't find the Shilluk or Dinka in the army lists for "Death in the Dark Continent." Did I just miss them? If not, is there a suitable army list to use for them? Thanks for any info!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
There is a list for Luo. The Shilluk are part of that ethnic group. Shilluk wouldn't have the Kavirondo allies, though. So basically they are a one-unit-type army in that game. All you get is "Warriors", though you can upgrade some of them to "Elite Warriors."

You might want to use the ones in loin-cloths as your elites, and paint them as being leopard skin, as that was a status symbol. Or the ones with the most bangles. The elites painted their faces with patches of white war paint too, it seems.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
As for the Dinka (and Nuer), they are covered in list 35: The Warrior Herdsmen.

Edit: Just had a look and Chris Peers treets the Shilluk as poor old Generic Villagers (list 1) rather than using the Luo list, which is a bit of a downgrade, perhaps. Don't think they had bows, though. So skirmishers with spears rather than "Warriors." Up to you, really.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:11:13 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
Not my period but love these Copplestone sculpts !! Looking forward to seeing them painted up by Plynkes !!!

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:35:07 AM »
Bless me, I can NOT WAIT to see Copplestone's Dinka.  In 1975, those guys wore WAY more jewelry per capita than anyone else on earth.  I wonder if they did so in the colonial era?
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 06:54:55 AM »
I've seen photos of them wearing those outfits made entirely from stings of beads, they do look spectacular, and would be great fun to paint.

If the Foundry book is correct, though, they seem to have worn a lot less back in the day. Bangles and beads around the ankles, wrists, neck and head, but absolutely nothing else. Quite the eyeful. We'll have to wait and see where Mr. Copplestone goes with them.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 04:34:08 AM »
I have long been a fan of the DA ranges.  It is great to see a new and interesting addition after some time.  During the nineteenth century the Shilluk did a lot of fighting with Egyptian-Khartoum slavers coming up the Nile and then of course with the Mahdists.  Many potential skirmish scenarios here.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 11:54:40 PM »
I have long been a fan of the DA ranges.  It is great to see a new and interesting addition after some time.  During the nineteenth century the Shilluk did a lot of fighting with Egyptian-Khartoum slavers coming up the Nile and then of course with the Mahdists.  Many potential skirmish scenarios here.

are you meaning  against (sorry for my sometime bad understanding of English) Slavers and Mahdists not that they supported them?..as regards Egyptians i read in  Gessi and Piazza's  memories that even the Egyptian Government Local bosses were not uncorruptable and flirted with slavers...and certainly behave in a  quite rude manner toward local African tribesmen..but do you have any evidence that Shilluks even fought VS those remote Egyptian garrisons?..not any doubts as concern their probable clashes with Mahdists..as Plinkes in a very amusing way rembered us in a recent post ..the Mahdist had a penchant for arguing with neigbours and not making friends easily :-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:58:28 PM by italwars »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 12:32:39 AM »
at a risk to be of topic ..as we spoke about Slavers in Sudan as possible ennemies for the North Star Shilluk minis i found on the web those 2 interesting picts..they refer to South Sudan..the first depicts the typical "Bazingers" militia employed or better enslaved ..  both by slavers and by their ennemies (Egyptians) the second is quite interesting as it show the trophies captured and carried by Romolo Gessi (an Italian General and Mercenaire in service of Cairo) as trophies in Italy after having defefeated and executed the famous slaver Soleiman...who probably , as i rembered to have read, also fought VS the Shlluks...i saw a few of them in April (the window of Gessi sold or offered the collection to Italian museums) in a semi desert museum in Rome ..in a dusty cabinet...and the ridicoulous caption ( in this case a modern one instead of the few remaining nice few ones in other cabinets that were written in  ink in 1930 circa) said "Reperti dall'Etiopia" :?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:43:05 AM by italwars »