Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690502
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What do you think about modular terrain?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: What do you think about modular terrain?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 06:55:50 PM »
I am probably unique in that I have lots of room for storage so having terrain that can be disassembled is  not an issue; but I do like modular terrain in the sense that I want kits that I can assemble in a variety of ways or convert and/or add scratchbuilt or store bought bits and bobs and bobs to.

One thing I've never seen is any really great integration of 3D printing with laser cutting - having a pack with laser cut walls and then 3D printed greeblies to stick on them (designed in or not)
I agree- for me this would be perfect.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 01:14:22 PM »
The problem is for me, and most of the gamers I know both here in Spain and back in the UK, is we don't have the luxury of having enough space to have a gaming table set up permanently or for long periods of time.

Having limited time means that taking too long to set up the table leads to less time to actually play the game, and more time to clear away.

There isn't really a solution that is going to solve both these issues. You have permanent buildings of a set size, they are going to have a set volume required to store them; and knockdown scenery will not save you any unless you actually take the time to knock it down.

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but I imagine most people living in large European cities live in smallish apartments where space is at a premium, especially if you have kids. I'm guesing that in the US and possibly OZ, more people live out in the suburbs and have more space in their properties.

Guess again. We don't all have three quarters of a million dollars to spend on the project, and may also live in the middle of a city. We may have to rent, or live in apartments or units. Right now, there is actually a crisis of housing where there simply aren't enough to go around, people keep insisting on multiplying and immigrating, and owners keep helping themselves to 25% rises in rent the instant they can legally get away with it.

There is another problem with modular terrain, in that you will pay over 200% of the purchase price just buying MDF flatpacks from some places. You decide you just cannot any more, and it is the same as if the system is discontinued - the stuff you already have is incompatible with anything else. It's hard enough to even sell it, since few people will have a collection of that system, or even that series (eg. they collect Dragonlock dungeons but not sci-fi...)

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 09:17:27 PM »
I like the idea of modular buildings I can use for a selection of games, and one can always use add ons from a variety of sources to make them different to each other.