Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?  (Read 37428 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 07:58:54 AM »
Pez dispenser?

Nice one, voltan, I like that idea!

Nicely done and it really does show up how much better the old Wargames Foundry sculpts were than the WL versions of the same subject matter.

Quite agree carlos, I have both but the Foundry ones are just like the real thing!

Ah, my bad, I thought you meant the manufacturer of the figure. In that case, who makes Stahl?

No problem, Poiter50.  :) Stahl is from Warlord, the Blood Red Skies ace figure, Adolf Galland.

P.S. In respect of the origins of this forum I intend not to display any forbidden symbols. I would be very happy for people to point out any omissions in my pictures, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:28:05 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »
Ah, thank you, nice imaginative use.

No problem, Poiter50.  :) Stahl is from Warlord, the Blood Red Skies ace figure, Adolf Galland.
Cheers,
Poiter50

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
Today, I have for you the Women's Land Army. As most of you will know, the WLA was disbanded at the end of the First World War but was reformed in 1939. The aim was to release male agricultural workers for military service and replace them with women. The women were usually called Land Girls. The land Girls would normally work 50 hours a week and were paid 28 shillings a week. The average wage for male agricultural workers was 38 shillings per week.

Five WLA girls have been assigned to work at Cold Comfort Farm, near Much-Piddling. Madeline Bassett thinks she has seen a Jerry parachutist (disguised as a nun) land behind the pig sty. Boldly, she leads the other girls out to investigate, armed with their shotguns.

L-R: Lady Florence Craye, Stephanie 'Stiffy' Pinker, Honoria Glossop, Roberta 'Bobbie' Wickham, Madeline Bassett.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »

L-R: Lady Florence Craye, Stephanie 'Stiffy' Pinker, Honoria Glossop, Roberta 'Bobbie' Wickham, Madeline Bassett.

So...Jeeves won't be far behind?

...and will Spode lead a band of Nazi sympathizers?

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »
Having seen the Land Girls I think Stahl is possibly having to use his inhaler? :o  lol

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
Having seen the Land Girls I think Stahl is possibly having to use his inhaler? :o  lol

Yes, I think Stahl is getting a little bit over-excited about the Land Girls!   lol

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
...and will Spode lead a band of Nazi sympathizers?

Now it's funny you should say that, gweirda!

Down at the Old Mill on the outskirts of Much-Piddling, Spode's Black Shorts are having a clandestine meeting. Well about as clandestine as you can get with red armbands and footer-bags! Spode's latest policy is to ensure that every citizen at birth be given a British–made bicycle and umbrella. Now that invasion has become a reality, Spode's Black Shorts are an illegal organisation but the Flying Squad have not caught up with Spode, yet!

L-R:  Lord Haw-Haw (awaiting flag), Unity Valkyrie Mitford, Sir Roderick Spode (Lord Sidcup), Diana Mitford, Sir Osbert Molesworth (with abject apologies to Plynkes).

Spode has chosen black shorts (or skirts) for his followers because, as Gussie Finknottle says, "by the time Spode formed his association, there were no shirts left".

Bertie Wooster has some choice words to say about Spode and his Black Shorts "It is about time, that some public-spirited person came along and told you where you got off. The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting 'Heil, Spode!' and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: 'Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?'"

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:36:44 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »
How dare you! I'm calling my effing lawyer! That's defamation, that is!

lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
How dare you! I'm calling my effing lawyer! That's defamation, that is!

lol

My abject apologies, Sir! I was having great difficulties finding miniatures wearing footer-bags!   ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
No, I love it. I was going to do the same with one of mine. I always thought he looked that sort. But I don't need to now, as you've done a top job yourself.

The moustache is a lovely touch, I hadn't thought of that. I have in the past briefly left myself a toothbrush moustache when shaving, just for a few minutes. Simply because seeing yourself with one is just about the most hilarious free laugh you can get. Who would have thought that the simple act of cutting some of the hair off your face could leave you in hysterics for several minutes.

Went the Day Well?
was shown at my local volunteer-run old-timey picture house a couple of years ago. I went with my brother, thinking we would be the only ones there, but a busload of re-enactors showed up, all in costume and in a 1940s bus. Civvies, Home Guard, ARP wardens, coppers, the lot. It was fantastic. Great film, too.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »
This is coming along great Martin  :D :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
This is coming along great Martin  :D :-*

Many thanks, Steve. More to come soon...............

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
No, I love it. I was going to do the same with one of mine. I always thought he looked that sort. But I don't need to now, as you've done a top job yourself.

The moustache is a lovely touch, I hadn't thought of that. I have in the past briefly left myself a toothbrush moustache when shaving, just for a few minutes. Simply because seeing yourself with one is just about the most hilarious free laugh you can get. Who would have thought that the simple act of cutting some of the hair off your face could leave you in hysterics for several minutes.

Went the Day Well?
was shown at my local volunteer-run old-timey picture house a couple of years ago. I went with my brother, thinking we would be the only ones there, but a busload of re-enactors showed up, all in costume and in a 1940s bus. Civvies, Home Guard, ARP wardens, coppers, the lot. It was fantastic. Great film, too.

I do have to say that when I trim my beard I always leave a pair of mutton-chop whiskers! Makes me laugh but my wife hates it!

Went the Day Well? is one of my favourite films (along with Ice Cold in Alex) and is one of the inspirations behind the scenario I am building for this game. It must have been great watching it with re-enactors in costume, great stuff. Two other films are contributing as well.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »
This thread is amazing, love the minis you've painted (particularly the black shorts) but the joining together of such iconic films as the Eagle has landed,  went  the day well with dads army is sheer brilliance. Can't wait to read an AAR and see some photos of how it played out. My money is on the land girls sorting out Spode and the black shorts  :)
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
This thread is amazing, love the minis you've painted (particularly the black shorts) but the joining together of such iconic films as the Eagle has landed,  went  the day well with dads army is sheer brilliance. Can't wait to read an AAR and see some photos of how it played out. My money is on the land girls sorting out Spode and the black shorts  :)

Thanks, you obviously have the same eccentric sense of humour as myself!   lol

The game takes place in late November and the AAR will indeed appear here afterwards.

The Land Girls will be a formidable force at close range with their shotguns. If Spode enters their line of sight I suspect his black shorts will be peppered with shot!