Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?  (Read 37430 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
Mad Lord,
The table looks mighty fine! :-* :-* I have to say that I am really looking forward to seeing the vaunted Much Piddling Manor/Snapcase Hall after all these years of hearing about the whiskey fueled dementia  …...ah, eccentric aristocratic behavior that occurs there  lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
A Fabulous thread , one which could only happen and develop on the LAF forum. I d,ont know how I missed it , btw, I think S,Kapitan Stahl is lighting a gasper ( cigarette) .

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
The table looks mighty fine! I have to say that I am really looking forward to seeing the vaunted Much Piddling Manor/Snapcase Hall after all these years of hearing about the whiskey-fuelled dementia  …...ah, eccentric aristocratic behaviour that occurs there.

Thanks Lon, plenty more whiskey-fuelled dementia eccentric aristocratic behaviour to come in Chapter 5 below. Glad you are enjoying it!

A Fabulous thread , one which could only happen and develop on the LAF forum. I d,ont know how I missed it , btw, I think S,Kapitan Stahl is lighting a gasper ( cigarette) .

Thanks, Belisarius. I believe you are right, Stahl is indeed 'aving a fag!

...and so on to Chapter 5 of this nonsense which sets the scene for the Home Guard dispositions in the game.

Chapter 5: Snapcase Brews Up

It was not unexpected when Snapcase had been given command of the local Home Guard. Back in May, when he heard Eden on the radio announcing the formation of the Local Defence Volunteers (later to become the Home Guard) Snapcase felt a call to arms. Having fought through the Great War on Major-General Kenwood-Chef’s staff, Bertram Wilberforce Snapcase had some experience of war at the sharp end. It wasn’t all ‘cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off’ on Kenwood-Chef’s staff. Bracegirdle Kenwood-Chef liked his staff to get out on the front line and mix it up with the Germans. Now Bertram was a little too old to serve in the regular army for this war. Truth be told, he could also be described as ‘not playing with a full deck’, or as his Aunt Dahlia used to say ’not the full jar of marmite’! Although something of a bumbling incompetent buffoon (as his uncle, General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett put it) Snapcase was the 10th Earl of Snapcase and the local land-owner. His family could be traced right back to the battle of Agincourt where a distant ancestor had stiffened his sinews and summoned up his blood alongside King Henry V. So, it was no surprise to all and sundry in the class-conscious society that was 1940 that the local aristocrat received his commission from King George to raise a platoon of the Home Guard.

Captain Lord Snapcase was now supervising one of the most important military manoeuvres of the British Army. The Much-Piddling Home Guard lads were ‘brewing up’ and although they needed no supervision in this vital task, he was dying for a drink. Something stronger was really in order but Old Scrotum had suggested quite rightly that the mainbrace should only be spliced after the arrival of the VIPs! Snapcase had arranged for the NAAFI van to visit Snapcase Hall on the occasion of this auspicious visit by Prince Phillip. The van was parked out of sight to the rear of the Hall, ready to serve tea and sticky buns to the men whilst Prince Phillip and other assorted dignitaries would partake of smoked salmon, lobster thermidore, Pimms and Dom Perignon inside the Hall.

At that moment, Private Ted Bovis arrived carrying the Lewis gun, the pride and joy of Snapcase’s platoon. Ted had started as a Yellowcoat at Maplins Holiday Camp, located just outside Steeple Bumpleigh (although not outside enough for the residents of that idyllic village!) but was now the camp comedian. “Sir, Captain Snapcase, sir!” he shouted. “What is it, man?” the Captain enquired. “Sir, Reverend Lieutenant Pinker asked me to tell you, sir.” “What man, spit it out!” snapped Bertram, rapidly losing patience. “Lieutenant Pinker has been delayed at Twing Hall and will not be coming to the parade, sir”.

Twing Hall was the residence of Major-General Bracegirdle Q. Kenwood-Chef at Loose-Chippings, a village north of Much-Piddling. Kenwood-Chef had taken up residence there after the Great War and he and Snapcase had become near-neighbours. There was a big scandal brewing locally and the villagers of Loose-Chippings had more gossip circulating than they would have liked. Much-Piddling matrons were enjoying the chance to warn their daughters about the dangers of associating with Loose-Chippings’ bachelors. “You’ll come to no-good, them Loose-Chippings folk have always had low moral standards, you mark my words, missy!”

In 1939, just before the outbreak of war, Kenwood-Chef had divorced his wife of long-standing, Countess Gertrude Sepulchrave and announced his intention of marrying Consuela Banana-Hammock, his Venezuelan house-keeper. ‘Stinker’ Pinker had been tasked to officiate at the wedding which was due to take place in December 1940 and was currently detained at Twing Hall in vital discussions about decorating the church with Venezuelan flags and flor de Mayo.

Just then, there hove in sight an Austin 7 transporting the august personage of Sir Douglas D’Emfore, the MP for Mid-Devon. Snapcase immediately put an end to the impromptu ‘brew-up’ in the Snapcase Hall grounds and paraded his platoon at the Hall gates to welcome the first of the visiting dignitaries. A very important day in the history of Much-Piddling had begun.

To be continued...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:00:34 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
This is a very general map based on my set up back in March. I think Snapcase Hall may well extend more to the west now, so the farm will probably move south nearer the cricket pavilion. Things may change! Both the 5th Column and the Black Shorts will have better information and maps for the participants once they meet up with them. Initially, neither of them will be aware of the others' presence.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »
Superb,  just the ticket, pip pip , “ I say , where’s that duffer Bertie got to , old bean ? “. 🍸🎩

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
“I say, where’s that duffer Bertie got to, old bean?“

Belisarius, I believe he's at the Drones watching the Darts Tournament, it's Catsmeat Potter-Pirbright versus Bingo Little in the final and the smart money's on Bingo to win!

Prien's Schmales Boot! Just finished the narrow boat on which Prien and his crew arrive at Much-Piddling.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
Prien's Schmales Boot! Just finished the narrow boat on which Prien and his crew arrive at Much-Piddling.

Hell’s Bells and Black Enamel, Snapcase - your driving me to the extremes of pleasurable anticipation with all this fabulosity. It’s just splendid. And to make matters worse, you’re teasing me cruelly with the narrow boat - you know I want a real one, you bounder.

Doug

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »
Terrific. Love this project. The canal boat is a beaut . Top notch. 👍

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »
That narrow boat is lovely.

Is it a Sarissa model?

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
you know I want a real one, you bounder

I'll see if I can knock up a 1:1 scale one in MDF, then.   ;)

Terrific. Love this project. The canal boat is a beaut . Top notch.

Cheers, SABOT, loving your project too, plenty of inspiration there.

That narrow boat is lovely. Is it a Sarissa model?

Thanks, yes, it is from Sarissa.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »

Great looking table, I eagerly anticipate the AAR :)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
Great looking table, I eagerly anticipate the AAR :)

Thanks, Ballardian.

Half a pound of flour and lard
Makes a lovely clacker
Just enough for you and me
Gor bugger Janner

Oh how happy us'll be
When us gets to the west country
Where the oggies grow on trees
Gor bugger Janner

Now you make fast, I'll make fast
Make fast the dingy
You make fast, kiss my ass
Make fast the dingy

And we'll all go back to oggie land
To oggie land, to oggie land
And we'll all go back to oggie land
Where they cant tell sugar from
Tissue paper, tissue paper, marmalade and jam, oi

Oggie oggie oggie.......

Barliman Butterbur, the Landlord of The Earl of Snapcase public house in Much-Piddling, is supporting the Home Guard with his latest invention. Having installed an old iron range on his veteran lorry, he follows the Home Guard on manoeuvres and cooks his delicious pasties to order. Any troops fighting in the vicinity of the Much-Piddling Mobile Pasty Unit (or MPU for short) get an immediate morale boost. Barliman always has a barrel of scrumpy on the back of the Oggie-Lorry as well for light refreshments.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
 lol lol Love the converted truck! A real gem and I love the area bonus that the Pasty Unit gives. Most excellent.
Lon

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »
Clever idea and a nive conversion  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
Barliman Butterbur...cooks his delicious pasties to order...always has a barrel of scrumpy on the back of the Oggie-Lorry

Pasties and cider - alright, I join the guard! Where do I have to sign?