Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hordes: Gatormen  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
Hordes: Gatormen
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
I started working on these guys as a side project for my Warhammer Fantasy Lizardmen army project to stand in as kroxigors. I prefer Privateer's gatormen to the GW versions.

Here is the first posse I put together (gift from my uncle!) back in January: the Green Gatormen

And the boss:

Being a big fan of Mayan art I included a few cast resin Mayan glyphs onto some of these guys.

All of my gatormen posses have magnets on their bases, with an extra set of square bases for each one so I can use them on both round (Hordes) or square (warhammer) bases. Here they are ranked up with a bunch of skinks in a 'skroxigor' regiment:

Size comparison shot between a Hordes gatormen and two GW Lizardmen (saurus and a skink):

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
Re: Hordes: Gatormen
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »
That last batch was finished back in January of this year, and just recently I finished painting/basing another round of posses and a solo.

The Red Gatormen:

The boss, with a few extra Lizardmen bits:

The Voodoo Gatormen, as inspired by some great work by James @WarhammerOtaku

The second boss, another custom build with some lizardmen/Mayan looking parts:

The solo-duo themselves, Wrong Eye and Snapjaw. They are my favorite miniatures in the entire range, so I had to paint them up even before the warlock!

Painting these two were a lot of fun, to include Wrongeye's red jacket and his liquor bottle with skull and crossbones!

Wrongeye:

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
As of the end of September, here is the whole warband so far!

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
You've done a good job on these fellas. Great looking miniatures and terrain.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
They do look very nice. I see what you mean about the aesthetics - I reckon they look better than GW versions too.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
Nice painting and very good conversions. Really like the look of them ;)
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

WIP for two characterful models, the Boilmaster and the warlock Jaga-Jaga

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
The Boilmaster and his cauldron are finished!

I had fun painting the cauldron's flames with a few washes. And the ingredients were fun (human hands, eyeballs, a lizard, and salt shakers in his belt!  :D)

The Boilmaster and my other gatormen bosses over the snake pit...

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
Wow really awesome miniatures, as I said once before.

Btw do you use them for Hordes or are the for your lizardmen army?

How much do you have to assemble one of those gatormen? Most of them look as if they where made from one piece.

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Wow really awesome miniatures, as I said once before.

Btw do you use them for Hordes or are the for your lizardmen army?

How much do you have to assemble one of those gatormen? Most of them look as if they where made from one piece.

Thanks again!

To be honest I have only actually used these guys once as a proxy Ogre who showed up during a Mordheim game. That being said, each of the gatormen posse members has sets of both round and square bases, so that I could potentially use them in either system.

All magnetized  :)

They are really easy to assemble, each one comes in three pieces I believe; normally either the head/tail is separate along with the weapon. The boss has one extra piece but only for the skull and bones necklace.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
That is pretty amazing! The Gatormen seem to fit almost perfectly with the Lizardmen, and I love the way you've visibly bound them together by adding small Aztecy elements to them. The voodoo squad is also pretty awesome 8)

The switchable bases are pretty sweet too, by the way ;)

I've never been really drawn by Hordes, although Warmachine did appeal, even if it has always been because of its aesthetics, and not the rules. I always found the rules to be hopelessly complicated, what with all the combo's, stacking and other weird effects ("Turn one, I activate my caster, using his feat to boost this guy, who can now move across the entire table towards your caster, but because he was near this other model that can pass on some tokens and because of his special rule, I can now boost all of these stats to incredible heights, and I roll these handfuls of dice, aaaand, I one-shotted your caster. Yes; I just played like I had a pair. Shake hands; good game!")  ::)

It might be me, being overwhelmed by all that newfangled card and token shenanigans, but that just never really appealed to me. And Hordes was even worse, with all that rage, and animus and other stuff. I played my Khador against a Circle army one, got totally trashed and didn't even know what actually happened half the time...  ???

Still; I did buy a Legion of Everblight box, as I thought it would be a nice tie in (basewise) with my Khador (both in the snow), but never played or even assembled them because of the above reasons.

But now, taking a good look at those Gatormen, I must admit to really liking them. Liking them to the point where I could possibly see myself doing a small force of them. And were it not for those dastardly rules, I might even do it too... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks for the compliments! I like the look of the models more than anything else, I am hoping to experiment with some Cryx sometime soon.

I have been working on a jungle river/canal project, and on the side I took some extra bits from the gatormen and made some swimmers!

One lurking in the spawning pool:

Hope to use them in future games as encounters.