Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689481
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Releases for Saga - When are they coming out?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
New Releases for Saga - When are they coming out?
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
I am a huge fan of the first edition of Saga and therefore bought the second edition immediately on release.

When they announced that the second edition will feature a universal rulebook which will then apply to all further books (which offer rules for different historical periods and even a fantasy-setting) I applauded this decision. No more buying a Crusade-Era book for the new rules to use with Dark Ages Skirmishes! As if one would not collect the other period specific books anyway  :D...

Up until now two books are out apart from the universal rules: Dark Ages and Age of Crusades. A collection of scenarios, the Book of Battles, is mentioned throughout the universal rulebook.

Maybe I am just impatient because Saga is one of my favourite systems, but: Does anyone here know if there is an official statement regarding the release of further books?

I am in the process of assembling an Oathmark-Army but would be keen on using some of these troops in the SAGA fantasy setting as well.

Thank you very much and kind regards!

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: New Releases for Saga - When are they coming out?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
There is no solid information out yet. I saw this discussed on Facebook the other day, and people mentioned hearing stuff like two books per year, and Book of Battles and Age of Fantasy next, but that's it.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Thank you for the reply!

I am happy to hear that there are other people thinking and talking about this. Two books per year is rather ambitious but as Age of Crusades has been released shortly after Age of Vikings the schedule could work.

So far the physical and artistic quality of the new books is fantastic and makes me want to read up on factions which I have no intent in playing myself. This also makes playing the game easier since Saga rewards being familiar with the opponents battleboard.

Anyway, I´ll wait and see!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
PS: I just saw that Studio Tomahawk posted some fantasy miniatures on their Facebook page two days ago. Seems indeed to be the case that Saga: Age of Fantasy is coming next.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »
I am impatiently waiting for Saga: Age of Fantasy and the pics on facebook got me very exited :)

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Really would like scenario book first.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
As I understand it they're keeping the armies of any given book balanced against the other armies in that book, not against every other book. Cuts seriously down on playtesting and possibly ups the publishing pace :)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
Yes, I think a fantasy supplement will see many many people using parts of their existing collections to quickly build new forces for Saga. Very much looking forward to that!

However, in order not to derail this thread completely as it is in the Medieval section (I know, I started mentioning the fantasy stuff, I'm sorry!) I would also like to point out that the "Book of Battles" would be equally well received. I am just curious with what innovative ways of playing Saga they will be coming up.

Speaking of historical classification: I wonder what's coming after fantasy and "Book of Battles".
High medieval? Would be a great addition to accompany Lion Rampant. Or would that make no sense as there already is the new "Age of Crusades" supplement?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
I'd like to see a Biblical supplement. We've used Saga very successfully with Egyptians and Hittites with custom boards which I did, and some minor rules variations  (which you can find on the Saga forum), but it would be great to see an official supplement.

However, I'd like to see the scenario book first! That's much more useful.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
I think I have seen mention of a Hundred Years War, or 14th-early 15th century supplement, but I can't remember if that was in any way official or just speculation.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
I have just played the one game of Saga and for me it had the feel of a fantasy game. So I would be interested in a fantasy supplement.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
Just read on another website:

The scenario supplement for Saga:Age of Vikings, called "Book of Battles", will come to Crisis in Antwerp and will be regularly released at the end of November!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/studio-tomahawk/what-is-the-book-of-battles-/1586603218108383/

All the info you could possibly want on the new Book Of Battles.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »
What irks me is that they came up with a new consolidated set but didn’t collect the scenarios. So, if you don’t have the old books you have hardly any scenarios to play. Then, instead of following up the collected rules with the book that has the scenarios which everyone needs to play, they come out with “Army books” with no scenarios. Really shitty planning for those of us who don’t own the old books or want to buy them just for the campaign and scenarios. They should at least pdf the scenarios as a placeholder.