Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To the Strongest, any good?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Re: To the Strongest, any good?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
I tend to use a cross-grid, with the grid intersections are marked with a small cross instead of a solid line. Or here, I added a very subtle grid to a teddy bear fur mat.

I don't think that many people even notice that there is a grid...

Offline CATenWolde

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Nicely done! My gaming mat is flocking on cloth, so it would be harder to hide, but that is food for thought. How many grids are there on a standard table? (i.e. what is the grid size)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
The standard grid is 6" boxes.

But the great thing about a gridded game, is that you can make the boxes the size to suit your units. In Simon's photo's above I think it will be using a 20 or 30cm grid, so that the units are big and impressive. If you have smaller units (particularly with smaller scale figures) you can drop the grid size and either play on a smaller table, or get a bigger battlefield on your table.

Basically the grid needs to be a little larger than your unit frontage, we play with 12cm unit frontages on a 15cm grid. With units having about 5cm depth, this allows 2 units deep in a box easily.

This is a FKaP game, using 10mm figures with 12cm frontage, the mat is a pre-printed Deep Cut one, where the grid is barely visible

A different game, using an old Citadel mat, with the corners marked in sharpie. These are quite visible, but I could (should) have done these with a finer pen, and probably smaller

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
Yes big grids; I use 20cm for ancients and 30cm for ECW, and big tables. Smaller grids are more practical, though.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:12 AM »
When I played it I just put a dot in the middle of where the grid would be, worked fine :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline shadojack

• Student
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »
Very good!
https://runningandculinaryexplorations.blogspot.com/2017/08/ramses-goes-after-hatti.html

I hope to have my Romans and Carthaginians have a tangle early next year using these rules.

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
We play TTS and FK&P on 150mm grids, and 120mm unit frontages. I have carpet tiles which are 12 inches square. Each tile is four grid squares. No special marking required.

I am planning on upping the size of my ECW units to 180mm, so have acquired two 6x4 mats with 20cm grids on them. They look fine.