Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:48:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: No Apprentice  (Read 2908 times)

Offline horrorbeard73

• Schoolboy
No Apprentice
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Evening :)
I am building my first ever warband and am really thinking about having a Witch as my wizard but not having an apprentice at all. Anyone else had any luck playing without one? #curious

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
Re: No Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
I think it's the best way to have a apprentice. He's a spellcaster and so important for your tactic.
I think you'll have difficult games, without your apprentice. But i have to read the rules more carefully. The other members here can you give you far better advice then me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:28:48 PM by Tungdil »

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »
Probably not the answer you want but no. It's handicaping yourself for no good reason. It's not just another powerful model, it's a whole game phase, more xp and a second chance at out of game spells.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
I know that they are expensive to add to your warband, but without one you are missing a phase of each turn. If your opponent has an apprentice and you don't, that would gives them the possible activation of up to four models (the apprentice and three regular warband members) with a group activation while you do nothing. In addition, they are going to be doubling up in two phases, either wizard and apprentice would activate one after the other or they would be activating their apprentice and then their remaining warband members one after the other. In an IGYG type of game with possible group activations and a swingy D20 system, that could mean a devastating assault that you would have to weather before you could react. And it could result in an assault that you can't recover from. IMHO, you always take the apprentice. In addition, if your wizard dies, the apprentice can take over leading your warband and allow you to retain all your items, cash, and base upgrades. Without the apprentice, you would have to start from scratch again.

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
What the others say !
In games when my apprentice(s) have met an untimely demise, it certainly leaves a hole in your war band and ability respond.

Spect_Spidey's comment aboutt the base and resources is also spot on.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
 ;) take one.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
Pros:
Extra spending money

Cons:
No apprentice phase, giving your opponent two turns before you
Less chance of casting spells
Leading to less XP earned for casting spells
One less cool model on the table

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:25:18 AM »
Interesting idea. Probably not optimal. The biggest downside is that you can't have more than 10 members in your warband.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
Also remember - an apprentice cannot be replaced by a soldier. You still have a maximum of 8 soldiers, so your warband will likely be one smaller.

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
Never miss the apprentice. He collects experience in favour of your wizard. Let him cast easy spells as often as possible, even let him boost failed results by his lifeforce to gain experience.

Offline horrorbeard73

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the feedback and am now revising everything lol

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:17:10 AM »
My apprentice has officially survived more often and earned more xp than my wizard!

So much so i swapped over the models for them!

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
I tried the same thing initially, and found that an apprentice is definitely a must-have model.  It gives the other player way too much of an advantage if you don't have an apprentice in that phase.  Plus my wizards seem to get taken out regularly, so the apprentice has saved my bacon a few times. 

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
Thematically you could represent the apprentice as a familiar, or even just a floating crystal ball and say that the Witch is casting her spells through it.

You need an Apprentice. Without using one you're playing the game on hard Mode. Its the reason why I fork out for a Captain as well, the benefits are just so heavy that its difficult not to take one (that's without the spells, the "with me" action is great).