Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Simple way to add snow patches to a generic, green board?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
Simple way to add snow patches to a generic, green board?
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
As the title says, I've got a generic, 3x3 game board with the typical grass texture. I need a quick and simple way to represent snow patches all around it. My first thought was to lay down a punch of snow flock in layers, spraying glue on them as I go. However, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Online SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Simple way to add snow patches to a generic, green board?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
Bits of green felt, dry brushed with brown, and then with snow flock glued on top.
Then you still have the original mat when you need it.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
I'd basically go for the method you describe yourself, but with an added white spraypaint straight onto the grass for the patches. make the spray painted areas somewhat smaller than the intended snowy area, so you can create a bit of a fade into the grass when applying the snow.

Oh; and don't forget to add snow to your trees, tree bases etc, to maintain the effect.

Also, make very sure that the glue you use is either clear or white, and does not yellow over time!

But I also really like SteveBurt's idea of using patches to add or remove from the board as you see fit; it will give you a lot of versatility, and I would actually prefer that over a permanent setup. You could even arrange for a removable snow cover on the roofs of buildings in that way!

But I would personally go for a different material than felt. Felt would be durable, but using some very sheer white cloth, maybe fully synthetic, that would drape over any surface easily, would work better I feel (mind; I have not tried this! (yet)).

You could then still use snow flock on top of that, to get the effect across better. Perhaps even christmas decoration snow spray cans could work for this?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
My own stab at this would be bicarbonate of soda, just chucked on here and there. It's cheap and when you're finished, just use a dustbuster or dustpan and brush to get rid of it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »
My own stab at this would be bicarbonate of soda, just chucked on here and there. It's cheap and when you're finished, just use a dustbuster or dustpan and brush to get rid of it.

I'd second this  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/