Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Balancing] Every Wizard using the same spells  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Hexenmeister

• Schoolboy
[Balancing] Every Wizard using the same spells
« on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Hey,

Having played quite a few rounds now, our group noticed the following: Most of us picked the same spells for our wizards, if the school wasn't opposed (elemental bolt, telekinesis, teleport, mind control, etc...). That resulted in boring matches, where 80% of the spell's being used was telekinesis (and yeah, we did have LOADS of terrain still). So we decided to introduce the following rule: For every spell school we piced the two most useable or iconic spells were now only avaible to you, if you choose a wizard of that school. Grimoires of those spells could also never be purchased and can only be found as treasures. So only a Necromancer could raise zombies, only an Elementalist could cast Elemental Bolt, only a Soothsayer could mind control others...

As a result we got much more interesting games with loads of spells being used that we never saw before. Also it wasn't so frustrating anymore that everyone just knew or could simply buy your most powerful spell, which made your wizard feel kinda unspecial.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: [Balancing] Every Wizard using the same spells
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Interesting idea.
I for one make a point of choosing spells I haven't used before when creating a new wizard; one of the reasons I'm currently playing as a Chronomancer.

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
Re: [Balancing] Every Wizard using the same spells
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »
yes there is a tendency for the same spells to crop up, but I like using new ones (mind control is my latest wheeze), but then I also gratuitously use weird ones like Planar tear deliberately to mess the game balance up. It depends on whether one is playing to win, or playing to have fun.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com