Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in the Hobby - any experiences?

(1/3) > >>

Gunbird:
I've been diagnosed last week with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists, and now the proud owner of some serious wrist guards. And the lovely feeling of having a car parked on both hands/wrists.

Anyone else had this before or having it now? I've noticed my fine motorskills are down the drain, and I have no idea how long this will last.... (Not going to Google that again, too many horror stories).

Michi:
Johan, my wife used to have it and had ambulant surgery which fixed the problem once and for all. I recommend to search a specialized surgeon to carry this out.

robh:
I have had operations on both wrists for it. Miniature Painting as a hobby and long hours untrained typing on a PC keyboard at work, either will lead to it eventually, both will much sooner.

You have to get it operated, it will not sort itself out and will continue to worsen and increases in discomfort. Operation is simple, they do one hand at a time. Relief is instant and recovery is about a week each time.  They estimated 90% plus of people will not have the problem re-occur after surgery.

Plynkes:
My mum is not in the hobby, but her experience was much as described above. She had it, it became a problem, she had the operation and hasn't thought about it since.

Hawkeye:
Surgery - although successful - is  not always the first port of call. More conservative treatment (physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication, and  rest) is usually indicated first, and can be  successful. The  use of splints is usually part of such treatment.
My own carpal tunnel syndrome problems are just a small part of my  much broader neurological problems, which have included, to date, a dozen cervical spinal surgeries. I have permanent nerve damage, and have lost a lot of fine motor skills in my hands. On the plus side, painting miniatures helps to restore (as much as is possible, at any rate) those motor skills, so I feel good about those days when a miniature comes together, because  not only have I completed another miniature, I have also contributed to my own healing! Win-win!
In short, surgeons like to perform surgery. With carpal tunnel syndrome, it is often successful, but any surgery should be entered into with caution.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version